1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Samsonyte, Apr 6, 2009.

1. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

Maybe that's a good idea...

2. Hola-juwon

Hola-juwon Member

Can someone tell me why we constantly see threads like, "...next year..." when the Rockets are soon entering the playoffs?

3. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

because when the started the threads, Manu was still not out of the season. We have a big hope to blow up the SW now that the spurs have already lost Manu.

4. BlakeBroussard

If we ever let Yao Ming get away from us it better be for a damn good reason... 5+ years down the road. There are only two reasons to not keep Yao as the nucleus in which to build around-motion offense or not.

Those are:

1) We somehow work out a deal where we get way more than he's worth (and he is worth a lot). I'm talking, like, D-Wade and a first round pick or King James and some change... but we all know that probably ain't ever happening, and in the unlikely event that some megatrade like that happens where would we be at the center position exactly?

2) Out of his prime and an even bigger injury threat, we get rid of him for financial/rebuilding reasons and hope the money that is saved in doing so outweighs whatever Yao has left in the tank playing for some other team. This option is obviously the most likely and realistic one...

I personally would like to see Yao finish out his career as a Rocket, however long from now that may be, but I'm not holding my breath on that considering the modern day NBA. Still, I think it would be incredibly foolish to lose Yao anytime in the next 5-7 years; the guy still has a lot left to offer, he is just now really hitting his prime and showing he can lead a team, and command attention as a top tier player in the league.

The way teams have to account for Yao is invaluable, even if Yao is having a subpar night the defense has to focus a lot of strategy and man power on defending him at all times. Not to mention the attention Yao brings to the team itself and the city of Houston by being one of America and China's favorite players-there is a lot of good that comes with that.

As much as I hate to say it, if I had to pick anyone to go at this point I would pick the player I have loved and defended since his days in Orlando-Tracy McGrady. Although I think we should give T-mac at least one more season to come back and show what he can contribute; if he can come back next year and be 75% of what he was in 04-05 he would become incredibly important and worth keeping for however long. I don't think he'll ever be the player he used to be, but I wouldn't count out him coming back and being a top 50 player/no. 2 option on our contender caliber team. If we can keep Artest, most of our bench, and T-mac comes back around 20/5/5 next year can really be our year.

That said, I really want to keep Artest on this team, even more so than keeping T-Mac. Artest brings a toughness and defensive strength and presence that can really benefit our team and give us a counter point to teams with a better offense. Though there is no telling for sure, I think Artest is willing to keep his outbursts small and seldom now that he is older and on a team with a coach and players he respects. If he continues to play it cool he needs to stay a Rocket.

Finally, if there was actually some way we could get Joe Johnson for T-Mac where we wouldn't have to give up more than Tracy and some change it would certainly be an intriguing option. I think I'd want to see how Tracy was looking about 8 months from now, but if his recovery was stunted for some reason, or he returned to the court looking like the T-Mac of this season, I'd say that trade would be something you'd have to pull the trigger on...

5. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Manu hasn't played in a while and the Spurs are still doing fine. The news that Manu is done for the season isn't that big of a deal, especially since the only way we match the Spurs are if we start losing and everyone else in the western playoffs start winning.

And honestly, anyone think that the Rockets can do much without Yao, is dreaming. Even if we retain Artest, Ron Ron can't carry a team, Adelman's never had outstanding success with his offense, how do people think we can achieve anything based on mixed feelings about Yao's play style?

6. Samsonyte

Samsonyte Member

#1 Ok my bad. I meant to say went to orlando. Whatever, bottom line is he was on the magic when I started watching him. You want to attack my verbage, fine, but that achieves nothing.

#2 Have you not paid attention at all this year? Did you not see Tmac destroy our chemistry? Granted if he is healthy and ready to bust his @ss keep him. The guy WAS amazing. But personally im tired of him. How many times did he say he was healthy and making a comeback this year? Only to come back and stuff himself on the rim and play matador defense. The cap space will be there at the end of the year regardless. But you would rather roll the dice again and not know what your starting line up is going to be every other game?

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Agreed except for the PF thing. I don't think 3 point shooting is necessary or even desired in a PF. They tend to fall in love with the jumper when they should be getting dirty in the paint like Scola. Instead, I would like to see a Trevor Ariza/Travis Outlaw type player. Unless of course, there is a young Robert Horry out there to be had.

So S&T Ron and Trade Tmac for a PG and a 6'8-6'9" guy who can actually stay in front of the Kobe's and Wade's out there. Battier is still a great option for guarding moderately athletic, stronger wing players.

8. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

They are getting older and older. We should be the division fav next year.

9. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

our team has the highest number in average age as far as I know.

10. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Any chance we go after Bosh?

I would think all the S&T talk might allow for a move at Bosh. :confused:

maybe, maybe no

11. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Les will be the biggest roadblock to any major change to the team. He's still in love with McGrady and his talent level, and it won't be popular move to ship Yao out of town, even if it's just for the amount of shoe deals we'd lose ;) . The jury is still out on Artest, with this being his contract year.

The key would be, does the front office really believe we can win it all with the core and playing style we have right now, or are they satisfied with the easy route of laction, play it safe, and hope we can somehow snatch a title before surging teams like Portland becomes relevant in a couple of years. I'm sure we've all got our own opinions on this.

Technically, we could still win it all THIS YEAR with the right matchups and upsets (Cavs or Magic coming out of the east, we avoid Lakers and Jazz), but the chances are very slim. Regardless, there are still way too many variables right now to predict what Morey will (be allowed to) decide on in the upcoming summer and the trade deadline following it.

12. Bruins&RedSox21

Please don't falme me too much here, but what about signing Ben Gordon from the Bulls? No Ron Artest, & maybe we could ship TMac somewhere cause of his expiring contract. I guess a better question is, wouldn't SG & SF be the absolute greatest priority? PG & PF i think we are set. Are we could find a good back-up C somewhere. Ben Gordon, Matt Barnes, Shawn Marion, & hell, even Marvin Williams & Wally Szczerbiak are available. So, I guess my question is, do we go after any of these players to get a "head-start" on 2010? Just how well are our chances of acquiring Wade, Johnson, Anthony, etc.?

13. coldsweat

coldsweat Member

i would love to ship ron on a sign and trade, but whose going to bite on him? it's a tricky situation because if we just let him go, then i don't think we have the money above the mle to sign a replacement (correct me if i am wrong here). hopefully some team will take a chance, because i don't know if i want to see him go for nothing.

14. coldsweat

coldsweat Member

don't knock on him, he's been a baller this season!

15. jotbabyface

jotbabyface Member

I think we should package together a deal involving Brooks , Artest , and Hayes for someone like Michael Redd or Rip Hamilton.....We need a true pure 2 guard for this offense to be effective...... We dont need to generate offense from our shooting guards....that has been the problem......we need Lowry to set up the offense and let Rip or Redd come off screens on the weak side away from Yao....that will keep those double teams away......we cant do that with Ron or T-Mac....we need to go back to the old school where traditional point guards got the assist while a 2 guard scores .......we are too wrapped up in these combo guards......theyre athletic but they cant run the offense correctly.....A great offensive system is much better than a great player that generates offense.....thats where these fourth quarter collapses come from.....we dont have the right players for our offense yet.....