1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Samsonyte, Apr 6, 2009.

1. AXG

AXG Member

That would be great. I love Brooks and Lowry but they're undersized and a little inconsistent. The team also needs more shooters who can move to the basket. Too often, they just pass the ball down to Yao and just stand around watching him post or wait for the kick out. They need to move in position to get good shots if Yao gets doubled or fronted.

2. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

So who do you have in mind?.......the matrix?

3. Rocketaggie89

Rocketaggie89 Member

well, would you rather have marion...someone who already doesnt always play with heart and is almost always unhappy, or Artest, who always plays with heart and loves this team.

4. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

I'm just saying who does he have in mind because we can say what we need or the type of person we would like to have but the hard part is finding that player and the matrix can run block shots and rebound with the best of them. I haven't been following his game since he left the suns but i do know he would be able to run with our second unit.

5. Setuablaz3

Setuablaz3 Rookie

You hit the bullseye. This is the biggest and the most significant long term concern of ours as a team and as fans.

The combination of Yao and the coach's offense is very inefficient, which is why you see Yao struggles at times running up and down, and setting too many picks and the reason why people wonder if "Yao is being properly utilised". Also Battier has said, as suspected by us, that plays are more or less called everytime by the players on the court unlike JVG era.

I dont know about Moreys stance on this matter but sticking with RA and his type of player is not all bad. Yao has played for this team for so many years and Houston is my favourite team. I will continue to support rockets regardless.

But I'd also like to see Yao end up in huge cities like NY or LA if only so he can get some calls here and there. If he is not being valued in this team he should seek out. There is no rights for Les to keep Yao just for the sake of being a cash generator. If he does that speaks volume of him as a person. Yao should seek out at any cost.

To be utterly frank, I dont want to see Yao under RA anymore, regardless of what they achieve this post season. If Yao has to go so be it.

6. KareemOlajuwon

replace tmac with Joe Johnson is what i want.

7. KareemOlajuwon

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

you must be referring to Troy Murphy ? ;)

I'll pass

9. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

They don't really run the motion offesnse when Yao is on the court. They run the Yaocentric offense which is damn efficient. Unless of course when Ron loses focus( starts jacking up shots) and starts running the Roncentric offense.

I never want Yao to wear anything but a Rockets Uniform. True the motion offense doesn't fit a guy who is the last one down the court on offense and defense but, Yao is still arguably one of the top 3 centers in the league why anybody woudn't want him on there team I cannot understand.

If Les were keeping him only for the revenue Yao generates then it would only mean he is a smart buisnessman. Don't forget the NBA is a business, and business is about making $$$$.

10. NBA Law

NBA Law Member

No way we get rid of Yao. He brings in tons of money, both Chinese and American. Also, he's a great center which are hard to come by. And he has a great work ethic and plays team ball.

We need an athletic star wing player that is explosive and can close out games. Basically, we need a healthy T-mac. Though, I doubt we get it post microfracture surgery.

An athletic 2 guard that can drive to explosively to the basket to mitigate the fronting on Yao and capitalize on the double teams on Yao. Aaron Brooks was supposed to fill this void to free up Yao's game but it hasn't panned out.

All other positions are set with tough defending, solid players with good jumpshots and hustle.

PG - Lowry, Brooks (wouldn't change a thing except have Lowry start)
    SG - replacement for T-Mac/ Von Wafer backup
    SF - Battier/Artest
    PF - Scola/Landry/Artest
    C - Yao/Scola

We have a championship bench with Landry, Super Von, Chuck Wagon and Aaron Brooks.

All we need is one more All-Star wing that can close out games. Either T-Mac makes a miraculous comeback or we trade. Otherwise probably no championship next year.

11. Cbox

Cbox Member

The people that want Joe Johnson, do you want him to replace T-mac or Ron?

I would love to have Joe for either, but I think him and Ron go together better.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I don't really know if there's a great max player out there to be had with our expirings (T-Mac, Cook). They will either be untouchable or just all-out awful contracts. I don't want to trade having 23 million come off our books in 2010 for a shotgun wedding to Gilbert Arenas, Baron Davis, Michael Redd, or anyone else under the age of 27 besides Wade. Why not just throw it all at Wade or Bosh later on? We're underestimating our ability to compete on the free agent market with Yao as our lure, and come to think of it we really haven't been big players in the free agent market since, what, Stromile Swift? Mike James? We've actually probably never even been real players on the free agent market, at least not for this much money.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Thats because I'm so far ahead of the curve that when people catchup, its a good idea. I've said too many times, its not a curse or mean you're dumb because you're athletic. Athletic doesnt have to be running and dunking either although it helps. Last night, ron got a steal and was cleary ahead of outlaw. Outlaw ran him down and prevented a easy 2. Its nothing wrong with that as long as the guy can play. People on this board think just because a guy is athletic, he cant be a smart and heady ball player. Thats because media perceptions like to call non athletic types "heady" . There are alot of heady athletic players like Tayshaun,Rip,Kobe and even a young shaq, but people overlook this because of their physical gifts.

The rox are one of the worse teams at finishing around the basket. Thats because around the rim, its not about trickery and headiness, its about explosion and finishing. Either way, the rox need to upgrade alot of places to transition this team. The lakers went from a shaq centered team to the one they have centered around kobe with versitile athletic types. The rox need to move away from guys that need tracy to set them up to guys that can slash and cut in the offense. the motion will work with yao as long as yao help make it work by shooting his mid range jimmy with confidence and becoming a better student understanding angles. i do agree with what DD said only because he's dragging butt behind me again. If i could sign and trade ron, i would, but i dont think its going to happen. I would look to move shane and some one in a package and like i said earlier the targets should be Deng,Jefferson, or butler in no particular order. They might have to include scola with shane to get a near all star quality wing and they can use the many te's for guys like petro,anderson, or someone like that.

14. killer instinct

Dude there is a ton of athleticism in the tournament so why isn't more guys making it to the NBA?

Vince Young perfect example of how MENTAL ability can outweigh physical ability. Yao Ming has been a walking generalization since he came into the league, ie BARKLEYs big mouth. So Yao's attracting double teams but our guys refusing to give him the ball in a repost makes Yao the problem?

How about saying Yao is about the only consistent guy on the team who can create his own shot? CREDIT those who do some things right, maybe?

Every guy in the league is athletic and if they aren't they get cut or get benched right?

I'm sorry but that is a generalization you are making and I guess the media you blame has influenced your opinion.

VITALE's pick Jay Williams not Yao
    Kenny Smith "Yao will have a problem with the language"...he already knew the language you uninformed racist!
    Barkley "I would take caron Butler.......Yao will never score over 20!"

THATS THE MEDIA....so what was their excuse for Yao bashing before he ever played?

Sometimes I think because Yao was not born here people want him to fail personally....which is racist.

Have you caught up to that curve yet?

15. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

A lot of people are saying we can play the Yaocentric offense when Yao's on the court, and switch to motion with the bench. So Adelman was only brought in to preach his offense to ... bench players? :confused: :confused:

If you were a coach, wouldn't you want your best strategies and offenses to be carried out by your team's most talented players, ie the starters??

Besides, our 3 point shooting is too horrible to play In and Out or Yaocentric offense. A missed three is basically a turnover. At least with a missed layup or dunk, the chance of getting a rebound or getting a foul drawn is higher.

Like I said, a compromise doesn't win you championships. Championship teams stick with one philosophy on the court and one only. If we keep Yao, we better acquire better shooters, otherwise we're just wasting Yao's talents and the attention he draws. If we want motion offense, we should trade Yao for perhaps lesser talents, but talents who can run a motion offense better.

16. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

Joe Johnson is a black hole player just like Artest is

He and Ron would not mesh well together at all

17. bbjai

bbjai Member

Can someone tell me

what was wrong with the offence when Yao was not injured during the 22 win streak WITH Mcgrady playing at a high level and Yao playing at a high level and the black hole named Rafer Alston in our lineup

18. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Its actually by Eleanor Roosevelt.

Back to topic. Its either Yao or RA. They just do not mix. RA always play with a high post big man, and that is something Yao should not be doing more than 20% of his time.

19. Chinesekid123

Chinesekid123 Member

why would atlanta, my home team, trade its best player, joe johnson, to the rockets? never

20. dutchbut

dutchbut Contributing Member

Eleanor Roosevelts Quotes:

To TMAC
    "When you cease to make a contribution, you begin to die."
    To TMAC About first round losses
    "In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility."
    "It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness."
    To TMAC on depression
    "My experience has been that work is almost the best way to pull oneself out of the depths."
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

To Yao
    "Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."

To RA
    "What is to give light must endure the burning."

To The Rockets, regarding first round exit.
    "You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along."

About the Championship
    "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
    "What one has to do usually can be done."

To FANS
    "You can never really live anyone else's life, not even your child's. The influence you exert is through your own life, and what you've become yourself."