1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Year - Better Offense or Better Defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by room4rentsf, May 6, 2007.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

If the Rockets need a coach, and the best X's and O's coach in the game is available, it's a no-brainer to me. Get Carlisle in here, snap.

2. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

this team needs to bring in offensive oriented players now enough of hayes battier, mutombo who are all defense and little offense

3. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

To be honest I am kind of tired of slow it down, grind it out defensive struggles.

The more I think about it the more I look forward to a new and improved offensive juggernaught.

The Lakers or the Kings and playing lockdown defense in spurts as needed.

Imagine Yao in the high post facilitating the offense - dropping off passes to LHead (ala CWebb to Bibby) or knocking down the 10 - 15 ft jumpshot. I think allowing Yao more flexibility to shoot jumpshots or bang down low keeps the defense's guessing on where Yao will be next. Come on with Yao's passing and shooting touch he would be unstoppable.

Having a system also reduces the need for TMac to create for others all the time. Other than TMac, Yao is the only other Rocket that can create for himself. Too bad Yao cant create for others in the current offensive scheme (other kicking out to a 3pt shooter).

J

4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

5. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Rick Carlisle
    [​IMG]

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He wouldn't pass to Sura.

weslinder, for someone who detests Van Gundy as much as you do, I can't believe you like Carlisle. Carlisle is the only guy who could challenge Van Gundy for the title of "Biggest Control Freak."

I'd go with Adelman right now, if only because I recall him using his bench well.

7. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Defensively knock someone on their ass about once a month. Offensively pick the best people not the best system people. Luther and Yao should both improve back towards their former levels once the kool aid wears off.

8. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

You mean Yao could play low post or play like Boozer or Okur or even Dirk????

Wow!

This is kinda like discovering you can have sex in more than just the missionary position. :p

9. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

No Adelman.

Are we in NBA 70's and 80's flashback where coaches go on a carousel ride and go from one job to the next accomplishing less and less with every team.

Heck, let's go hire Lenny Wilkens. Bill Fitch? Where's John McLeod? Gene Shue?

Mike Fratello?? When will Flip Saunders get fired?... hey, how about Adelman?

Let's hire a good young assistant with some fire in his belly who can do what an NBA re-tread veteran coach could not ala:

Chicago's Phil Jackson
    LA's Pat Riley
    SA's Greg Poppovich

10. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

Del Harris...

Maybe he can pull a nelson and help us beat the mavs again next year :D

11. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

The Problem is that we have a veteran team with a limited window to win it all. Do we have time to deal with the uncertainty a new up and coming assistant? There are just too many what-ifs to deal with having a rookie coach. Tmac hasn't always been the most coachable player in the league. As someone already stated Tmac could just tune out Ellie if he was riding tmac hard. Why would tmac take crap from a rookie head coach when hes an established superstar (albeit one that hasn't gotten out of the first round). Im not saying tmac is going to have a problem with a rookie coach, but pointing out one of the many things that could happen. This team can't risk losing a season or two, because we hired a rookie coach with no track record.

Rick Adelman is a proven coach with a lot of wins to his record. He utilizes a more open offense then his other veteran counterparts being considered (Carlisle, Brown). Along with the motion offense hes used to, his Sacramento teams played great defense along with their superb offense during their prime.

It'd be great to hire a young assistant coach and have him make our team better, like what avery was able to do in Dallas, but chances of that happening are slim. Hiring a veteran coach just minimizes the risk and uncertainty that comes along with hiring a rookie coach for a veteran team designed to win now.

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I like Van Gundy, I don't know where you got that I don't.

13. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

When Riley took over for Paul Westhead, the Lakers were championship material.

When Phil Jackson took over for Doug Collins, the Bulls were championship material.

Granted both were assistant coaches on those teams and the players knew them. However, both were young and relatively unproven with a lot more talent than what we have here.

Re-tread coaches for the most part just does not work.

14. room4rentsf

Retread coaches like Pat Riley, Larry Brown, Nelly?

J

15. Rockets64

Rockets64 Member

I'll take JVG, thank you.

16. room4rentsf

Stan is that you? welcome to the board!

17. MONON

MONON Member

I voted for Adelman simply because of more offensive options that would be available. However if we could hit open shots, we'd be in round 2 as it is.

18. room4rentsf

interesting watching the GSW vs Utah game and I wonder how teams like the GSW's, Suns, Nets, Detroit, Toronto, Spurs, Mavs, etc have so many people that can attack the basket. Great ball handlers and great shooters and we cant find any with both skills?

19. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Do you guys realize how valuable Del Harris is to the Mavericks? If Harris wasn't there the Mav's would completely collapse which is a good thing in the Western Division where we have these guys in our own conference. Avery Johnson would go from being out coached a little to being owned big time by other teams. Avery Johnson was a hothead who yelled at his teammates a lot. Strategy? What strategy?

Del Harris knows Yao inside and out and what his strengths are. Del Harris understands Nellieball and Mavericks style basketball. Yes he even understands how to play defense. So that being said. I'll go out on a limb and say that Del Harris would be a great coach for the Rockets.

Adelman would be a good coach too. Hard to win it al isn't it. How many teams has Adelman had that he took to the playoffs and never finished. Oh well, his players like him and he could be good for offense with the Rockets.

20. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'd take Adelman as a realistic choice, but if Jackson opted out I would give him whatever he wants to come here.