1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Season's SF Position

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LA's #1 Rocket Fan, Apr 25, 2002.

Tags:
  1. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

Next year's SF position.

Sorry guys if this is getting old as I know some of you are getting sick of silly trade possibilities but I'm not, yet anyways. So here's some SF trade possibilities I think might be good for both teams involved, wha cha guys think? And what other trades do you guys have in mind?

I think we need a SF, most likely one that can contribute right away. So far everything is pointing to that as the #1 priority right now, thus I think the team is looking for an immediate impact player. That in mind I think the best reasonable possibilities are going for Lewis or Odom. But most likely we will have to trade either Talyor or Thomas as a result.

The Odom Trade:

Rockets Trade: KThomas, Top pick and/or 15th pick
    Clippers Trade: LOdom, CMaggette

Clippers reason: Not that they need more picks but they need one that counts. This Trade could happen if we can nab Williams or Wagner with a top 1-3, 5-8 pick assuming that the Clippers don't move up themselves. The reason the Clippers would do it is they definitely need a PG if McInnis leaves. Plus with Miles, piatkowski, Dooling(this guy can really play when healthy) and Q they are loaded at SF and SG. As load as they are in the backcourt their frontcourt is just that, their starters. KThomas would be the perfect Backup PF for Brand as that has to be one of their top prioreties right now.

Rockets reason: Odom would do wonders to create shots for the Rockets. Careeer avg. of 7.5 rebounds and 1.5 blocks is just what the doctor order and the 5+ ast. aren't half bad for a 6-10 guy!!! CMaggette would give us a solid backup SF/SG if rice were to be injuried and Langhi and Williams don't return. He could easily get 25 mins of the bench for the rockets. Maggette is a SF rebounding machine, has great size and fast(not to mention a alleyopp dunking monster. If we keep the 15th pick I'd like to get either a pg like FWilliams a 6-3 hybrid guard, or a C like Goduric a 6-11 monster as in Godzilla as they call him here in UCLA.

The Lewis Trade:

Rockets Trade: MTaylor, GRice, Top pick and 15th pick/or Torres
    Sonics Trade: RLewis, VBaker

Sonic reasons: Sonics wanted Talyor and Torres(assuming we sign him) last year but the reason they might do this trade is for a top pick and to get rid of VBaker who doesn't want to play there.

Rocket reasons: Need a impact player, and Lewis is that. Shooter deluxe, heck, Lewis can shoot the lights out. On a new team that actually could care about him, VBaker could return to the once 20 and 10 player he was. But even at 10 and 5 he's good enough to be our starting C at 6-11 265lbs. He's should be able to play well for the next few seasons since he's only 29 or 30 so he's not that old compared to GRice who is 35.

The Draft

Without a trade the last resort would be to take a chance on a rookie. But who to draft at SF? Here are some possibilities.

CButler - Probably the most prepared and ready. He could even start for us. Has consistency, rebounds hard, a high energy player.

DGooden - Can play SF too, but about as well as EG does. In fact he could be another EG!!! Could be a good Bench player for us but not ready to start at SF for the Rcokets anyways.

JJeffries - Not even close to ready. Besides just getting bigger he has got alot of work to do.

CWilcox - Atheltic enough to play every front court position. Rebounds well, runs extremely well. His offense needs work. His game is too raw to play starter mins.

QWoods - Might be the best of them all, but that will not be next season since he will need time to develop skills against better competition. I'd say he's bout where the HSer this year will be next season.

Even with no additions we're not that bad as long as we're healthy:

C - Cato / Griffin
    PF - Taylor / Thomas
    SF - Rice / Morris
    SG - Mobley / Torres
    PG - Francis / Norris

The biggest concern I have at SF is how healthy is Rice. Can he play at least 60 games and 25mins?

I want to know if any of you guys are happy with our SFs right now. If not who do you guys want at SF next season.

All this is just my opinion.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If Morris could become a consistant outside shooter then I think he could fill our needs very well. Odom would be my choice if we could pull it off. With out Odom and if we don't have confidence in Morris learning a consistant outside jumper then Lewis would be my choice. And if all of that failed then I guess I would look into the best available in the draft.