1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bratna8, Apr 28, 2016.

?

Rockets head coach

Poll closed May 5, 2016.
  1. Jeff Van Gundy

336 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. Luke Walton

33 vote(s)
    6.4%
  3. Ettore Messina

79 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. George Karl

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. Lionel Hollins

7 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. Other

53 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Hell no to Van Gundy for the reasons people have already mentioned. Out of the guys listed, Hollins is the best option. However, it's time to bring in somebody new..Kevin Ollie and Jay Wright would be two guys I'd take a serious look at.

2. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Hire JVG then make Walton the highest paid assistant in the league, just in case...

3. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I want a coach that knows when to call time outs,draw up some plays and is good at rotations.

4. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Question - I assume JB is still coach? (meaning today).
    What timeframe do people expect JB to be announced as no longer head coach?
    Just that the likes of JVG I recall being mentioned won't talk to a team that still has a head coach in place.

5. htown1984

htown1984 Member

I think he was the intern- therefore hes not coach as soon the season ended
    Well at least i think thats the case

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Dam! No new coach yet???!!!

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

DD's interview is this weekend.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Will the Griz and coach Dave Joerger discuss a contract extension in the coming weeks?

There has been a lot of misinformation written about Joerger, his status and coaching possibilities. Joerger was no more considered for the Minnesota Timberwolves’ vacancy than he sat on the hot seat during the first month of the season. Both reports were erroneous. The truth of the Minnesota situation is that opportunity essentially passed away with the late Flip Saunders. It’s also rare that franchises pursue coaches under contract so it’s unlikely that Joerger will be considered for current openings. With that said, Joerger will probably seek more of a commitment from the Grizzlies. The last guaranteed year on his deal is for the 2016-17 season. No coach likes to enter a season as a lame-duck coach.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/spo...ns-and-more-questions-376982001.html?d=mobile

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

J.R., nice find. Will be interesting to see how that plays out. Rockets should be monitoring.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

no idea who the next coach will be; but i really like Hollins and JVG. Good defensive coaches that know basketball really well. Didn't realize George Karl was available, but he's freaking George Karl so he should be considered. I'd also love the idea of bringing in The Alien; free Sam!

#110 Aruba77, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think this is a pretty good take on JVG. I don't think the JVG of "today" is the same JVG that coached the Rockets previously. Older and hopefully wiser.

The culture/structure and defense he would bring to the table would be refreshing. I think he could get Harden to be more accountable. I think Harden wants to be coached. Coached hard.

My main sticking point with JVG is that sometimes he was a bit too rigid on rotations and trying new things. You don't have to go wild like JBB's rotations, but there can be a middle ground to creating new wrinkles that work.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

More Mentally broken than anything

I still say Sam Cassell can fix it

Rocket River

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Thanks.

14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Morey: &quot;We're going to get the coach search right. We're not going to do something quickly. &quot;</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/726170834004414465">April 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

aka, we're going to wait until the Thunder are done so James can talk to KD and see if there is any coach that he would actually come here for. Would rather just hire Van Gundy before he takes another job or decides to stay at ESPN.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Morey: I want a coach who gets up early
    I want a coach who stays up late
    I want a coach with uninterrupted prosperity
    Who uses a machete, to cut through red tape

With fingernails that shine like justice
    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass
    He or she is fast, thorough, and sharp as a tack
    He or she's touring the facilities and picking up slack
    I want a coach with a short skirt and a long, long jacket

I can't help but agree here.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep :grin:

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This could be dangerous. The only acceptable reason to wait is if you feel VERY GOOD... like 90%+ certain, that a FA you really want, wants to have some input on the new coach... cough, cough, Durant.

Otherwise, coaching timelines have already been laid out this offseason. Find someone you like, and move. Otherwise another team might snatch them up.

None of which means don't do your due diligence. But even if you had 500 potential candidates in mind, within a few days you should have that narrowed down, and then its just a matter of interviewing a couple of the top contenders, re-interviewing them as necessary, and then working out contract details with your choice.

We have not heard about their internal list. We have not heard about any real interviews. Etc. Is it all just hush hush, or are they just being really slow?