1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bratna8, Apr 28, 2016.

?

Rockets head coach

Poll closed May 5, 2016.
  1. Jeff Van Gundy

336 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. Luke Walton

33 vote(s)
    6.4%
  3. Ettore Messina

79 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. George Karl

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. Lionel Hollins

7 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. Other

53 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. OTMax

OTMax Member

You're going to regret wanting JVG.

1 person likes this.
  2. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

I don't get the love affair over Messina. I see a lot of David Blatt in him. He understands the game really well but I don't see him commanding the respect of his players. The NBA is a completely different animal from international play. I just can't see his message getting across to the players especially the group of guys we have. If McHale couldn't and JBB couldn't, how could someone foreign, not a part of the NBA fraternity hope to do so. I would take him as an assistant though.

3. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Omg that would be amazing!

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

Other. Kevin Ollie.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Cant buy that Harden will respect Messina. I want JVG. If they got Walton I'd be scared/excited - but it could definitely backfire quick. If his dad comes with him and takes Drexler's place then I'm in 100%.

6. mario_v

mario_v Member

That crap personnel were HIS guys. Those are the players Van Gundy wanted.

7. koby1868

koby1868 Member

Anyone asking for Walton is silly to think it wouldn't be the same as this year. He had no experience that team was running itself and Kerr was on call the whole time. This would be a joke of a signing. Almost as crappy as keeping JBB all season. Bring JVG and a killer offensive staff and call it a day.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

SAM CASSELL

Rocket River

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Where else has Ettore coached?
    How do you know who is responsible for what in the spurs Org?

Rocket River

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

George Karl got only 1 out of 157 votes so far. Still, that's more support than he had in the Kings' organization.
    <BR>

11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

This. Spurs fans say he was awful when he coached a couple games for Pop earlier in the season.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

And please keep Mark Jackson away from my team, even as an assistant. We're about to get rid of one big chemistry destroyer in Howard, let's not bring in another.
    <BR>

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Indeed. JVG's hiring will launch another 2 year holy crusade from DaDakota. Don't know if I can take another one of those - the first was extremely painful to live through. :rolleyes:

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Can JVG defense work on a running team? I'm not sure because a big part of JVGs defense strategy is a deliberate half court setup and using clock.

15. Caesar

Caesar Member

Suns and Warriors destroyed the Rockets all the time under JVG. They were fastbreak, small ball teams. The Jazz also beat the Rockets in the playoffs with small ball lineups. The entire league is now filled with these teams.

JVG refused to make adjustments.

I love the guy as a commentator but i can not understand the craze for him being the coach AGAIN. He got us 3 first round exits and a lottery pick. You would think he brought us a championship or at least to the Finals several times with how badly clutchfans wants JVG back. I guess they forgot how ClutchFans all demanded his firing back then.

He can bring all the discipline and toughness and defense he wants, but we will all eventually want him to be fired and talk about bringing in an offensive guru after dealing with JVG's offense for a few seasons. It seems to be a cycle we never learn. We want offense! We want defense!

How about getting a well balanced coach for once. Adelman was that, but we fired him for a glorified recruiter and motivator.

1 person likes this.
  16. verysimplejason

Blatt with some GM powers...

17. verysimplejason

And please get "character" guys instead of high profile guys that are only good on paper... Chemistry and attitude are as important as talent. Without those 2, talent is wasted.

18. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Van gundy is the safer pick. Luke walton can be hit or miss, but i think hed be a great head coach for the rockets. He can get KD amd Harrison Barnes to play with Harden. I think he would take a team with trez, Kj, Beasly, Harden, and two max free agents deep in the playoffs.

19. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

jvg or messina. i dont trust luke can coach a team that isnt stacked

20. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

seconded