1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bratna8, Apr 28, 2016.

?

Rockets head coach

Poll closed May 5, 2016.
  1. Jeff Van Gundy

336 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. Luke Walton

33 vote(s)
    6.4%
  3. Ettore Messina

79 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. George Karl

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. Lionel Hollins

7 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. Other

53 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Out of those choices, JVG, but honestly I'm not sure. This is a tough task, should we gamble on Luke Walton?

JVG has to have a much better offense this go around.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

i definitely think jvg will adjust his overall ideology for a team to how the game is today. hes already made that known on several occasions through previous interviews.

but to your statement ill take that "85" any day cause it gives you an opportunity to win bc his teams played great defense over giving up 100 pts in 3 quarters because you definitely have no chance in winning that way

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Dave Joerger

4. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

JVG or Luke Walton. I think Luke may get a little too much credit for the warriors hot start because that's a championship team that was just basically running the same system they had with Kerr but just the fact that he knows Golden State well and could help somewhat drive a similar style here. I would worry about the respect factor since he such a young coach and didn't really have much of an NBA career, but any respect he gets is due to him being on the warriors staff. I really like JVG but the offense would be concerning.

5. Salvy

Salvy Member

Kevin McHale...

6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Ok, I'll play. Assuming JVG would be able to manage harden's ego and stroke some D out of him what makes us think either side will kiss and make up enough to get this done (JVG and Less)

Wouldn't less be more likely to go after thibs .

7. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Les not less. ( les Alex.)

8. rockets13champs

Ettore would fix everything he is my #1
    Jvg with mark jackson as assistant head coach is my #2
    3. I would see what would happen with doc rivers and clippers we all know they are about to blow up
    4. I would see if memphis blows up and gets rid of joerger hes a great great coach in my opinion. Just didnt have talent around him

My best bet would be hiring Ettore Messina
    He would give us a lot of set plays. Harden can thrive under this system with other players because it worked with Manu Ginobli who is a lesser version of James Harden. This way pat bev would play like patty mills off the bench we can sign seth curry to develop his game more like tony parker. And pretty much anyone can fit in this system. You dont need a center to survive we can literally sign tibor pleiss or jeff withey and he would play like boban marjanavic. We can draft zhou qi in 2nd round and he can develop into a boban type guy. The only way to be great for a long period of time is to use this spurs system. We cant keep moving forward ignoring this. Warriors used this system with more elite players and took it to a new level. If im morey enough is enough. Adopt this system. You cant ignore it.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I know it was mentioned he COULD part ways with the Grizzlies but why are you so confident he will be available?

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

the fact that jvg is seriously in consideration and likely to be the next head coach says enough to me. Unless Les wants another season like the one he just had I don't see how that should be an issue if he really is looking to get back to the winning side of things.

11. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Luke Walton is gonna be the first one interviewed.

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

AGREE!

13. edc

edc Contributing Member

Why in the world does anyone believe Mr. Van Gundy could change his spots?

Three first round exits in four seasons (including a blowout WORSE than the Warrior one to a team that was nowhere near as talented), unwatchable offense EVERYWHERE he has coached, defense that faltered when it mattered.

14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Just let James Harden to be the coach of this team till he retired.

15. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

16. Zergling

Zergling Member

Did Battier play under JVG here? If so, that would be another reason to hire JVG. Battier would be an assistant if he was interested

17. Zergling

Zergling Member

This is dumb. Our defense is an absolute catastrophe. No available coach will fix that as easily as JVG.

The offense under JVG was crap because of crap personnel. Rockets will be a great offense as long as Harden is here and we surround him with shooters. JVG + Moreyball = really good team, and championship caliber if we add more stars

18. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I think for a season or two, and I would bet Battier was a JVG favorite.

19. Misigns

Misigns Member

1. Messina 2. Blatt 3. JVG 4. Walton

20. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

If Rox hire Milkhair back, they won't have to pay him anymore salary, right?