1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newt Gingrich: Test every Muslim in U.S. to see if they believe in Sharia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jul 15, 2016.

?

Would you be for the Test or against the Test?

1. For

14.6%
  2. Against

85.4%
  1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

That's not to say that people dying on roads or for unhealthy eating habits isn't a serious matter that deserves attention, but to compare it to terrorism which is in of itself war...I just can't follow that logic.

2. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

The test is idiotic and if you believe in it, you're an idiot.

3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Why is this taken seriously? This was Newt's desperate, last-ditch effort to get on the GOP ticket and sell more of his (and his wife's) awful books.

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I haven't watched any news today, but I don't think many posters here are taking it seriously. Most here seem to be against it because it's not practical and the rest because it's anti-American.

Though I have no issue with asking these types of questions as part of our screening process. But I wouldn't deport a legal immigrant or citizen over this. That's absurd.

5. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Spoken like a true nazi

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Therefore they should be allowed a separate justice system so they can freely exercise their religion? In some cases that's not a big deal, as stated before, some Orthodox Jews already do this. But how can you have equal treatment from the law if certain people are handled by different justice systems?

Also to be historically accurate, that was intended to stop the establishment of a state religion not to keep us free of religion.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This is not a thread about establishing Sharia law, but about deporting people who espouse Sharia law. Deporting people for believing the wrong religious doctrine doesn't sound free to me.

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Well you made it even more confusing by using the word espouse which can mean to adopt or support. I agree that deporting someone who believes in something that doesn't infringe on another's life or constitutional rights is wrong.

And, though I don't agree, it's not about "the wrong religious doctrine," but more so an anti American (separate justice system -- that's not equal treatment of law). If you support it coming to America, I have concern. If you support it in theory and applied to MUSLIM nations, I disagree with your beliefs, but you're free to have them.

Why did I type this all on my phone when I'm sitting at a computer...

10. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I'm for it as long as the test is expanded to all religions!

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just make Sharia law illegal and jail anyone that is practicing it...job done

DD

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It already is.

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

There cannot be a state run Sharia court that can be forced upon people (establishment of religion), but if people want to voluntarily subject themselves to a private Sharia court run by their mosque, they should be allowed (free exercise).

14. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I agree with these two posts.

Where Gingrich is absolutely right is that Sharia law is not compatible with Western civilization, and if you really believe Sharia law should trump everything, you are openly defying basic laws of western civilization.

However, a test like this would be discriminatory and not feasible.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we definitely need a test for clutchfans on whether or not they are really rockets fans

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most of the parts of Sharia law that people fear are already illegal and would put someone in jail if they practiced it. You don't need to create a new law to ban an already illegal activity.

It's important to recognize that a lot of Sharia law can't be banned - you can't ban a religion from forbidding the consumption of alcohol or pork. You can't ban someone from deciding to give x% of inheritance a certain way.

And there are already laws on the books about the things around Sharia law that people are opposed to.

The issue isn't Sharia law, the issue is ensuring enforcement of U.S. law.

Maybe what would be better than a stupid test would be educating immigrants on what parts of Sharia law they will not be able to practice legally in the U.S. and give them the chance to not come if they find that disagreeable.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Keep Christianity, Judaism, Islam and every other freakin religion far far away from the Govt. Doofuses like Cruz try to shove another religion down our throats. I don't wanna hear it. Point-blank

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Times one hundred!

20. cml750

cml750 Member

I sit somewhere in between so I did not vote. While he is 100% correct in saying any Muslim following Sharia is bad news, I am a Christian so I do not want to see religious "witch trials". There is no doubt that anyone following true Islam is pure evil, anyone who cares to to take the time to read the teachings can see that. There are however some who only look at the good parts on the religion. I do stand up for their religious rights to protect my own. I am not sure what the correct answer is because the true followers of Islam are going to be evil.