1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newt Gingrich: Test every Muslim in U.S. to see if they believe in Sharia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jul 15, 2016.

?

Would you be for the Test or against the Test?

1. For

14.6%
  2. Against

85.4%
  1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You can't fight an ideology, that's the problem

There's a billion of them around the world. All you need is 2-3 allah snackbars a year to snap and cause terror and kill hundreds.

No matter how much you screen, you can't control people's thoughts, and all it takes it 1 to slip through.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

SMDH...

I was a fan of Newt back in the mid-90's when I first became a republican. Contract with America and all that...

Now, I can't find a faceplant meme big enough for this thread.

3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Precisely. Our best options for combating this ideology is 1) engagement with Muslim leaders both religious and state figures, and 2) doing our best to stop the spread of their propaganda through online resources.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Ol Noot trying to make sure his name isn't yet forgotten.

I propose we interview all Houstonians to see if there are any Cowboys fans among us. If so, deport their asses!

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That's precisely because we can't read thoughts. So, we must relies on indirect methods. Doesn't mean it doesn't work - but it sure can be full of errors. That's where minority report comes in. If only we have such capability :cool:.

Agree. But certain people would give it up when it's "them" and not "us". What they fail to notice is it's all us. It impact everyone. But eeeh... fear is such a special emotion that probably predate all other emotion. Add anger on top and woooh... such sweet poison.

6. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I agree. Along with making sure Sharia Law never touches my Texas babies, Texas politicians should lead the charge by taking all religious law out of the equation. Like getting rid of the last of the blue laws that prevent liquor stores to be open on Sundays.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I just don't understand how American Muslims (who as a whole commit far less acts of crime/violence than the avg pop ) should be held accountable for deranged and evil cartel members overseas. Dude goes to work and gets asked about how American he is, even if he served etc, betters the community for no other reason than the actions of some guy who is different from him in every way.

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Oh, no doubt that it's an emotional and irrational response, but it doesn't make it any less prevalent. They don't consider the "slippery slope" arguments. It's why I have such a hard time getting through to people about the terrorist watch list and no fly list. American citizens are on this list and are being denied due process. It's one thing to track someone's behavior and movements, it's another to put them on a secret list without the opportunity to defend themselves.

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

They've tried multiple times to pass American Laws for American Courts. I believe Senator Campbell carried it last session in the Senate (SB 561) along with Leach, et al. in the House (HB 562). Both bills died in the House.

10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

There were also attempts to change some blue laws last session. Konni Burton had a bill to allow car dealerships to sell on Sunday, but it was actually opposed by most dealerships as I would imagine many large liquor stores would oppose being open on Sunday. It forces everyone else to do the same and it allows them a day off without losing out to competition. There was also a bill to allow a grace period for businesses that sell alcohol after 9pm, so people in the store before 9 would still be able to buy without the store being fined.

It's not always the religious right who support these blue laws.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

We tend to only think about the retail tip of the blue laws. There's a lot of ridiculous regulation upstream that I should think people could support fixing. You can order wine wholesale and be invoiced with terms, but beer is cash on delivery only. Who benefits from that?

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

A lot of these leaders are crazy. No point in trying to engage them. There are always going to be a lot of evil people in the world. They just want to see the world burn. I don't think you can ever stop it.

In general the world is a much richer/safer place than it was 10-20 years ago. No point of worrying about a few random terrorist attacks.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I don't believe in it I passed the test!!
    Oh no you don't!!! You ****ing believe it
    No I don't
    *tasers* test subject
    No I don't
    yes you do
    *tasers*
    Okay I do
    Now get the **** out!!!!!

14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Wait...seriously?

If we don't engage them and just do what we feel is necessary, do you think our message is going to prevail? No, they're going to frame it like they always do, the big bad West coming to put them in their place.

It's not a few random attacks, it's becoming more and more prevalent each year. We were dealing with a few random attacks for the last 60 years. It's no longer few nor is it random.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I guess Newt never considered the notion that suicide bombers may lie.

16. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

This kinda pivots perfectly into BLM where a small subsect of blacks commit crime but the non criminals get pulled into the dragnet.

It's really a difficult problem on how to differentiate radicalized ppl from the non radicalized without radicalizing ppl in the process.

It's like how terrorist hide out in normal neighborhoods and if you bomb the neighborhood, you now got collateral damage on innocents which breds more terrorist..

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There have been roughly 51 Islamic terrorist deaths this years. Lets double that to a 100 which would represent a huge number for the US. 100 people die on the loads every day. More people die from eating McDonald than they do from terrorism.

We lost 1000s of troops in the iraq and afgan wars. Do you want to waste thousands of troops and billions of dollars to save maybe a 100 lives? It sounds like a losing proposition.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

These guys?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9tFrPWNU08Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Where do you get that number 51?

49 died at the hands of one person in Orlando, or are you only counting ISIS controlled plots and not ISIS/alQaeda INSPIRED attacks, ie lone gunman? Or are you only considering US attacks?

More people die from alcohol abuse than drug abuse, yet we continue to focus on prohibiting drug use. More people die by clubs and hammers, yet we continue to talk about gun control.

We lost about 4500 in Iraq and about 3,000 in Afghanistan. That's military US deaths. This a global problem. France has suffered two massive attacks killing nearly 200 people this year ALONE! And for each American life that was taken by roadside bombs, dozens and dozens more Iraqis were murdered by the same insurgents.

We lost 3000 Americans in one day from these people. Sure, we're much more protected not being contiguously connected to the Asian continent where the vast majority of Muslims reside, but it doesn't mean we're not in danger. We have a notoriously porous border and a candidate who wants to increase the intake of Syrian refugees who we know have been infiltrated by ISIS.

20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

So, Air Langhi, I don't see taking action as a matter of finances, because the cost of terrorism far exceeds the cost of war in terms of loss of freedom, loss of life, loss of economic stability, tourism, etc. These acts permeate the nation's psyche. It's bad for business, it's bad for safety, and it's bad for our relationship with our Muslim allies. Because the more we are attacked, and the more frequent these attacks become, the quicker people are going to be to ostracize and blame ALL Muslims, which will in turn lead to civil war.

Seeing that my family fled religious civil war, I don't want to see that trending over here.