1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newsweek: Is rock music improving?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Oski2005, May 11, 2004.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Rock's Big Bounce
    In the 10 years since Kurt Cobain died, a once thrilling genre has struggled. Now a new community of bands is emerging and finally making it safe to go back into the mosh pit.

By Devin Gordon
    NewsweekMay 17 issue - Have you ever been outside in 106-degree heat? The air is crushing. You dehydrate instantly. You fantasize about cooler places, like Arizona. In 106-degree heat, the average indie-rock fan—thin, brittle, white as chalk—will spontaneously burst into flames. So it was a shock when 60,000 of them braved the elements recently for the Coachella music festival outside Los Angeles. Two days, all outdoors, all to see 82 bands with names that sound like parodies of band names: Death Cab for Cutie, Broken Social Scene, the Flaming Lips and one that could've been the festival's motto: ... And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead. (Yes, that's a real band. And yes, they're good.) Two years ago, the indie-rock scene was sputtering. Coachella was a quirky, decently attended event. And now? "I had no idea it was such a big deal," says Death Cab frontman Ben Gibbard. "We were touring in Japan beforehand and people kept telling us they were flying from Japan to be at Coachella."

After a grim decade, the rock scene is once again producing music—lots of it—that's worth getting on a plane to hear. And better still, people are buying it. Last month, Seattle bizarro-rockers Modest Mouse turned heads when their new CD debuted at No. 19 on Billboard's album chart, selling 80,000 copies in a week. Gibbard has become such an indie rainmaker that his side project, the electronic-pop duo the Postal Service, has sold 250,000 copies of its first CD, "Give Up." "Five years ago, a record that sold 50,000 copies was a huge success in our world," says Rich Egan, president of Vagrant Records, home of punk pinups Dashboard Confessional. "The standard has totally changed." File-sharing, once thought to be the death knell for the music industry, has actually helped trigger a spending spree. Even MTV and big radio are starting to notice, playing artists they wouldn't have touched three years ago. Does the current scene have a Nirvana, an R.E.M., a U2? Not yet. "But I've talked about this with friends a lot lately: something amazing is about to happen," says Gibbard, 27. "I don't want to guess what it'll be, but you can just feel it coming."

If you tuned out on rock music a few years ago because you just couldn't stand to hear another Creed song, it's time to come back to the flock. For too long that giddy sense of digging up buried treasure that comes with discovering a new band was a once-, maybe twice-yearly occurrence. Now, thanks in part to file-sharing and iPods, which have turned even graying rock fans into music collectors again, it's hard to get through the week without making a find. We're in a golden age for pure songwriting, with rare talents like Gibbard, the Shins' James Mercer and Wilco's Jeff Tweedy revitalizing the four-minute pop song and making a case that, in fact, it hasn't all been done before. If there's one knock against this new school of rock, it's that no one seems willing to step up and become class president. "At some point, Bono looked at Elvis and said, 'Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do,' " says former Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan. A fractured pop climate and a general cynicism about musical saviors, he argues, has made young bands even less likely to pursue grand visions than Pearl Jam and Nirvana were. "There's just as much talent in this generation, but the constant message to kids starting new bands is: this is really not that important."

For a decade, that message was reinforced by the marketplace. Hip-hop grew dominant. And it didn't help that rock's last ruling age—the early ' 90s—ended so bitterly. If Kurt Cobain is your model of stardom, maybe selling 150,000 CDs is plenty, thank you. But lately, mainstream hip-hop has been bogged down in egocentric emptiness. And major-market radio, dominated by Clear Channel and drab rock acts like Nickelback and Puddle of Mudd, has bored listeners into experimentation. There's a refuge ready and waiting for them. Online music has coalesced from a loose band of pirate Web sites into a full-on industry. "Each month we get our statements from Apple—for our music bought on iTunes—and we're starting to make some serious money there," says Jonathan Poneman, founder of Nirvana's original label, Sub Pop Records, whose roster now includes the Postal Service, the jangling guitar rockers the Shins, and Southern-smoked folkie Iron & Wine. "If that model's working, and it appears to be, that changes everything."

It's already beginning to. The "alternative rock" genre has increased its industry market share for five straight years, according to Billboard director of charts Geoff Mayfield. (Even rap hasn't performed that well.) Last week MTV, the high court of bling videos and Britney Spears, added five rock clips to its coveted "Buzzworthy" stable. According to MTV programming chief Tom Calderone, that's a first in his four years at the network. "The system is being reinvented without the permission of the major music labels," says Nic Harcourt, host of the tastemaking KCRW Santa Monica radio show "Morning Becomes Eclectic." "Now that it's started, it won't stop. That means we'll be getting a healthy batch of new artists for years to come—and there'll be lots of people who want to hear them."

Another refreshing change is that today's rock bands are less sanctimonious, and much savvier, about money matters. "They're taking their cues from hip-hop," says Universal Records president Monte Lipman. A decade ago licensing a song for a commercial would've been sacrilege for an indie rocker. Today only a few purists blink when a Shins song pops up in a McDonald's ad or when Delta lifts a track by the British songstress Jem. "The Clash has licensed stuff. The Who's done it," notes Vagrant's Egan, who was reared on uncompromising hard-core acts like Fugazi. "So you think, 'What, exactly, am I fighting against?' " Today behavior that used to constitute "selling out" has become a way to fend off the siren call of a corporate deal. If your band makes enough money off an ad, then there's no need to bolt your indie label for a major. Signing a major-label deal is "more like a sentence than an agreement," says singer Todd Baechle of the Faint, a dark, tech-y punk band on the influential label Saddle Creek Records. If you want your CD all over chain stores like Best Buy, majors provide the muscle. But for most indie rockers, nothing beats being free.

With Bret Begun, Jac Chebatoris and Jennifer Ordoñez

© 2004 Newsweek, Inc.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4933394/

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Sounds like what they're saying is that there are more CRITIC BANDS coming down the pike - there are plenty of good ROCK bands that have been around the last 10 years or so.

3. rudager

rudager Member

Funny how they fail to mention Coachella was disatrous for fans--who weren't even allowed to bring in their own water--in the middle of the desert.

Dashboard Confessional, a guy who, up until a couple of years ago, performed the majority of the time alone with an acoustic guitar and whines about relationships, is a punk pinup?

God bless Sub Pop.

I wonder if I should be worried that some of my favorite artists--especially the Shins--may begin getting commercial radio airplay. I'm wary they may be contaminated, processed, and stripped of their idiosyncrasies. Or just plain played-out. Or maybe it's just that I don't want to share them, particularly with people who eat Creed with a spoon.

I know I should be happy that the Shins and Broken Social Scene have appeared on Advanced Warning, but, ugh. Something's not right. At least Iron & Wine has zero chance of ever appearing on MTV.

4. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I read that article earlier today, and what's most interesting is that many of these bands are no longer interested in signing with a major label. Because of all the label mergers, there simply isn't enough attention paid to quirky bands. So these bands have smartly realized that it's better to sell their music to the ad agencies and use those funds to retain creative control in their recordings.

One thing that this article doesn't mention is that the bands are improving musically as well. The alternative music of a decade ago was somewhat of a backlash against the slick, processed, synth-music that had previously been popular and was even "anti-gear" to a certain extent (hence the popular image of the Fender Mustang - a cheap student guitar of the 60s). Now, bands like the Flaming Lips and Radiohead are really using new technology to make really beautiful yet also organic music (as opposed to the very intentional artificiality of industrial bands). Rock music has always grown when bands embrace rather than shun new technology.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

My first electric guitar was a 1967 Fender Mustang.

I got it when I was 15.

It literally disintegrated in my hands when I was 17.

6. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

My parents bought me one when I was 12! Damned thing fell apart a few years later as well. Kind of like the Chevy Vega of guitars, eh?

7. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

as long as Weezer is around, honest and meaningful rock will be made, okay at least for geeks like me.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You and I are going to get along juuuust fine. Let's just hope their upcoming album will be up to Blue or Pinkerton standards.

9. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

I've never thought of Tweedy as "rock", but okay. Glad to see him getting the pub.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

as far as rock goes i have noticed my self enjoying some of the newer stuff that has come out. which wasnt happening very often at all until recentyly.

so im not sure there really is a rise in rock music. but for me at least it hasnt gotten better presently.

:D

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Not sure about the 'honest' part ... Rivers Cuomo is in the middle below:

[​IMG]

And I think that's him on the right ...

[​IMG]

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is such a two way street from me. I'm happy when groups I like do get some of the recognition that I feel they deserve, but like Rudager I worry that it might bring about their demise as well.

I'm listening to the Shins right now, and I wonder why more people don't absolutely love this band, I have the fanboy reaction that everyone who doesn't love these guys is musically insante etc.

But if everyone did love the band I think I would probably get annoyed very quickly.

It's a strange double standard I have.

13. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I think the thing is, when you like sub culture rock, you like it because it's good music. But when they get main stream and everyone starts to like them, a lot more ppl start to like them because they are the "it" music at that time, and you just can't seem to relate to the new fans.

14. rudager

rudager Member

Really. I mean, when you really get down to it, the Shins are the best pop/rock band in America right now.

FYI: They're coming to the Engine Room June 10!

15. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

He honestly wants to RAWK!

I don't know what's taken me so long to get that Shins album. Keep re-purchasing those same Otis Redding discs I have that are starting to skip.

New Big Star album comes out in November, so they'll lose their "best pop/rock band in America" tag then.

I hope.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Exactly.

When I was in high school in the mid 80's, my friends and I were always raving about this amazing band that no one else had even heard of. We were always trying to get other people into them but it usually didn't work. When we went to see them at the Sam Houston Coloseum, the place was half empty.

The band was The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is such the future of music. I strongly suspect that selling 50K CDs through a indie is more profitable for the band than selling 500K through a major.