1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NewsOK] Tracy McGrady's return harmful?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by worzel gummidge, Nov 30, 2009.

1. NOIINTEAM

NOIINTEAM Member

By the way your sig doesn't do anything for me , in my opinion a lot of fans support a team but they have their own favorite players on the team that they support . For example , i won't lie my favorite players on the team are t-mac and landry but when they leave ,i'll still root for the houston rockets ... Another example is the soccer team that i support , Man utd , I really liked roy keane , ronaldo and giggs , but 2 of them are gone and i still root hard for my team and now i have 2 new favorite players on this team who are fletcher and anderson ... maybe you don't know anything about soccer and don't understand what i'm trying to say . but favorite players go but the team stay and new favorite players come in ... that was the case for olajuwan, drexler and cassell . that will be the case for t-mac and landry but i will still root for my team , so i would really know what your sig really means .

2. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Is there any real doctors on Clutchfans who can tell me if this is true or not? I don't mean the 100 or so fake ones on here either o_O

3. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

that's cool. it depends what you want to watch. i support the Rockets. that meant that when i was younger and i loved horry and cassell, i could be upset that they got traded, but still support the Rockets. The players definitely make a difference and we all have our preferences, but at the end of the day, I am not a rockets fan because of any singular player.

The sig is supposed to mock the throngs of people here that only support the rockets because they are "Yao's team" or "Tracy's team". no, that's not how it works in my book. I support Yao because he is on the rockets. I begrudgingly support tracy because he is on the rockets.

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Why do you think they all ice down their knees and ankles after every game? You don't think Deke had some damage to his knees, and he still played until he couldn't anymore.

Heck is there any athlete in any professional sports who has no damage to their joints? For that matter is there anyone who was ever an athlete, college and or high school, that doesn't have damage in their joints?

Maybe Tmac's pain was worse than everyone else, but that doesn't excuse some of his actions in the past regarding the team.

5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Tmac may be the biggest cancer on a roster right now, but our current wings aren't much better. A 2nd round rookie is outplaying our seasoned veterans. Why accuse Tmac of stopping the ball when Ariza's going 7 for 23 and turning the ball over off the dribble? Why complain about his shot selection when Ariza's taking over seven 3's per game?

I've heard enough about Tmac's ball domination, especially when what's actually winning us games is Brooks taking over the game.

6. NOIINTEAM

NOIINTEAM Member

yeah ok cool

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Ariza doesn't dominate the ball. When he misses or turns the ball over, he does so relatively quickly without wasting the shot clock. :)

It would be silly to say that Tracy McGrady, when right, is not a contributor despite his tendency to fire off bad shots. The problem, though, is that the Tracy McGrady that isn't right -- the one that showed up last season, for example -- is big negative on the team. Doesn't move to attack the basket, couldn't hit Js consistently, didn't give sufficient defensive effort. I am all for the team making sure they have the right Tracy McGrady before starting to pay $220K per game to see his services rather than paying $220K per game to watch McGrady working on finishing (hopefully) his rehab.

#67 Carl Herrera, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  8. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I don't know is competitive eating a sport?

9. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

yes. i'd be really interested in (on-average) how much time the ball spends in ariza's hands on a possession where he takes a shot, versus the same for tracy. i'd guess ariza's time touching the ball in any given possession is at most half what it was with tracy. i'd also be interested in seeing how many passes each of them makes per possession. i'd guess ariza would be about 1.5x tracy there. anyone know where there are stats on stuff like that?

that's the key. well put.

10. Blaze_3

Blaze_3 Member

dont trade him before february. wanna see him live in a rockets jersey before he leaves ;)

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I guess the difference is Adelman wants Ariza to learn other aspects of the game, grow into his talent, whereas Tmac already HAS the talent but is otherwise a prima donna pain in the butt and has no future with the team anyway.

12. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Speaking of his return, there hasn't seemed to be any updates lately. Although, I noticed he was on the bench last night. He wasn't on the bench Friday night against San Antonio. Not that that means anything, but since he's traveling with the team I wonder if that means he'd going to be making his debut during this 4-game swing.

13. Ketchup&Mustard

Your opinion is completely unfounded. Why is this article trash? Why do you disagree? What are your points refuting what is said in the article?

I think you just don't like hearing the truth. T-Mac is a ball stopper and always has been. He would threaten to ruin team chemistry, especially if he came back and tried to finish his rehab in games. And he did accuse the Rockets, Les Alexander in particular, of wanting to collect the insurance money instead of playing him. Here's the link...
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/rockets/6732407.html

You're allowed to dislike an article, post, or any opinion for that matter. However, it would serve you better to explain why so you don't sound like a crying and spoiled little girl.

14. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

He's been traveling with the team consistently this year. I wouldn't read much into it.

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

my sources say no! ;) but I bet they are carrying extra weight on their knee joints as well... so there is probably still damage!

16. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

I have minor cartilage damage in my ankles and knee's and I've only broken my right ankle, I've sprained both several times but that's it. And yeah there are days after a long practice it literally is extreme physical pain to stand up. I put myself through it though because I love basketball.

Now imagine that too a much larger scale for most NBA players who do this every day all, all day, all year. I don't doubt for a second the amount of pain that T-mac feels but at some point he really has to make the decision, is playing the game he loves worth it to him?

Kobe loves the game so much he plays with constant discomfort in his hand. Kinda takes some respect you may have had for t-mac away eh?

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly what I was thinking. It's more like some internet BBS post than a real journalist's report. In fact, some posts here are better read than this one.

18. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Kobe's competitiveness is on an abnormal level compared to every other NBA player so I'm not going to make him the standard of who gets respect. We don't know how an injury is effecting certain players because we aren't the ones with it (ex. Kevin Martin was called soft by the King's announcer for not being able to play due to injury but later they found out he needed surgery) and wasn't it just a pinky that was bothering Kobe? I respect Kobe's competitiveness and dedication but the way he always mad dogs a ref after every miss shot is kind of ridiculous. Let's also not forget the cheap shot on Battier and Artest during the playoffs and slapping Pau Gasol upside the head.

19. number22

number22 Member

20. verse

verse Contributing Member

Knees, elbows, joints, etc are iced down to reduce swelling. It can be a pro-active measure for someone who has no cartilage damage at all, or a countering method against simple soreness. In high school, it was 100% normal for us to soak in an entire tub of ice to reduce/prevent swelling.

In no way is ice packs on the knees automatically indicative of pre-existing cartilage damage.

As you said, no one knows McG's level of pain (and, no, his actions are not unconditionally exonerated). Let me go a step further, though. No one knows the true extent of his surgery, aside from the attending, performing physician.

We can all speculate as to how the situation was mishandled (it undoubtedly was by ALL parties), but to speculate medicinally is really speaking on a subject none (unless you are McG's attending physician) really knows enough about to be factual. I do believe this much: no doctor worth his license and Hypocratic Oath would say a surgery is "minor" when discussing a process that usually requires ~1 year to recover from (barring superhuman exceptions). Some may say it isn't 100% necessary and present other options. But none would call it "minor".

Whether is McG's own fault he ended up needing to go under the knife is debateable and I'm sure there's more than enough blame to go around between himself, Wayne Hall, Anthony Falsone, etc. What matters to me is that here and now he's apparently very close to coming back. That shifts this team-of-elite-role-players-collectively-playing-a-role-higher-than-theyre-capable back into their natural roles. That enables us to see what we have now and going forward since even if we do let McG walk for nothing, we will undoubtedly have to replace him with another dominant wing to play the "McGrady role".

None of our current wings, imo, will develop into any kind of dominance, so I'd just as soon see Ariza perfecting his Pippen, rather than seeing him junk up his Jordan. I'd rather Aaron Brooks work on besting and beasting his inner Bibby, playing alongside and off of his own Peja (McGrady or his eventual replacement) than seeing him struggle to sidestep Steve Francis-land (balance being our #1 perimeter penetrator with having to stay under control and keep his teammates involved).

If McG's ready, get him out there. It won't deplenish his trade value, as his value, at its lowest is an expiring contract. If he has any sort of self-interest in playing for a contract, he'll be on his best on-court behavior, knowing that he will be judged in the offseason by how he plays (seamlessly) alongside these teammates and how he performs (fearlessly) coming off of surgery. Anything less could be career (and by extension financial) suicide. In short, he has every motivation to be his best and the organization and teammates directly benefit from it, as well.

It's time to roll the ball out....