1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NewsOK] Tracy McGrady's return harmful?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by worzel gummidge, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The only way Tmac is going to get on the exact same page with the rest of the team as far as in-game play is if he went through a full pre-season with the team. Under this logic, why not just hold him out until next season? On the flip side, Tmac is a veteran who knows how to play the game. He could come in right now and make some plays. There has to be a middle ground where Tmac is good enough to play. I think we should ramp up his minutes until he does fit. When he doesn't look like he is playing the team's way, then Adelman can bench him. Let him work his way in under Adelman's expectations for how Tmac is to play.

The reality is there are not enough practices to get Tmac on the exact same page as the team without him playing in games. There has to be a middle ground here. It's silly to let Tmac sit on the bench if he is healthy. We're worried about ruining chemistry when this team is already not going anywhere? Oh God...I'm going to lose sleep at nights over this...cuz this team is ON FIRE without Tmac. It's so great that we don't want to mess it up.

How about just letting Tmac come in for the 4th quarters and finish what the Rockets can't seem to finish on a lot of nights against better teams? lol

I'm so worried about the disruption of team chemistry for a team that isn't going anywhere anyway. Like I said, coach has the right to pull any player at any time for not playing the game the way coach wants it played. Tmac should maybe practice through December and come back January with the minute ramp-up over several games...IMO.

2. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

The ONLY goal for ours fans and the organization is the same: winning the title some day (hopefully next year).

Most of the fans and the organization believe that playing TMac now would not help us achieve that goal. It's that simple.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Surf,

That all depends upon what the organization feels about TMac and his future here.

If they have decided that he will not be part of the organization beyond this year, then why play him at all?

Get the young guys some run, develop their games, and when Yao gets back, go from there.

DD

4. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Actually, if the rockets want to make a trade for Rubio or other players, these young guys probably won't with us either next season. In addition, if the rockets really want to the guys gain some playoff experience, they need Tmac to help them to reach the playoffs.

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Personally I'm sick of all the drama and what not but seriously people. Everyone is taking this story that uses another story by Dick Justice, which was pure conjecture and had no solid source to start with, as fact.

It's kind of funny to watch to be honest, like an urban legend spreading around while no one can pin down the actual facts of the matter.

6. DaDakota

It would be better for them if they made it on their own, and discovered whom is a closer and whom isn't...on their own.

If the organization has already made their mind up, then you can expect them to set the bar at such a high standard that they always leave themselves an out as to when Tmac would play.

"Not until he is healthy"

"We have good chemistry right now"

"We don't want a repeat of last year"

"We want him all the way back"

Who really knows, but to me it looks like they aren't really that concerned with playing him, I spoke with a doctor friend of mine about his condition, and it was his opinion (Based on the limited info) that he could be playing now about 15-20 minutes and based upon how he does slowly increase it.

So, to me, I just think the organization has made a decision to develop the guys that will be here when Yao gets back, and not worry about those that won't.

DD

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

The rockets will play Tmac if they don't trade him soon. I think your prediction at the beginning of the season is correct. Tmac will play in December.

8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

as an organization they are supposed to put a good product out on the floor that has a chance to contend for a championship and will put butts in the toyota center seats. catering to the fans does not mean having to engage in t-mac's media b****-fest. the rockets dont owe the public an explanation or any kind of retort regarding t-mac's disruptive and selfish outbursts.

again, it is mcgrady who should have kept his mouth shut - he is undermining the rockets management, coaches and his teammates. why should the rockets be obligated to come out and defend themselves when their 'star' player goes behind their back to the media and creates all this controversy in the first place?

why should they?

tell that to mcgrady who has routinely undermined the rockets by going to the media and making comments that are contrary to what rockets management, trainers and coaches are saying.

9. number22

number22 Member

how so?

i don't have to put words in people's mouths. clanton and jones explaining the injury debacle. and then i'll ask you again what facts are wrong?

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

It's my fault that I didn't rehab my knee properly last season
    It's my fault that I quit in the Toronto game b/c I was upset I didn't have the ball in my hands
    It's my fault that when the team was talking about trading me I screwed them over by diagnosing that I needed microfracture surgery and announcing it via the media and my season was ended...and trade value killed in the process even though there were to be more people looking at the knee
    It's my fault that I refuse to move without the ball
    It's my fault that I don't like to defend and I won't fight through scfeens
    It's my fault that I don't like the motion offense and will only give effort on high pick and rolls
    It's my fault that I fractured the locker room last season

;)

11. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

DD,

I agree with that.... I truly believe they will hold him out until the All-Star break..... No sense in getting your hopes up or getting him hurt by bringing him back to early.

But on the other hand.... Since they now have this nice SOLID foundation it's time to get rid od all the old lumber which includes Tracy and Yao.... And i'm starting to add Shane to that list.

Shane is starting to look like the Fat old guy that thinks he can still hang with the youngsters....

12. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

k i'll break it down:

find me an NBA player who doesn't have cartilage damage in his knees. tracy is no different except he uses his injuries as an excuse for his crap. the thing overlooked in all of this is that the main reason that tracy had more damage in his knees is because he doesn't train properly, spends the offseason getting out of shape, then tries to play the weight off with a weak core and crappy conditioning. it's his fault, so this is what he deserved.

you don't understand why its a betrayal for tracy to go straight to the media with a sensational story about getting season-ending and career-threatening surgery at the drop of a hat without confirming that with the coaches and organization first? he circumvented the entire structure put in place for situations like this to do what he wanted, not caring about the ramifications for the organization.

they agreed this after tracy was a) being a pansy, b) playing terribly, c) destroying the locker room, d) practicing like crap, e) had already basically given up on the season and betrayed the organization.

because they only worked on tracy's knee, not his heart. you can't implant motivation, or caring, or anti-quit.

nice that the rockets have to clean up tracy's mess huh. he has been lazy as hell and uncommitted in the offseason, gets hurt, and the organization has to fix it. sure seems like a player I want on my team. hell, where can i buy his jersey?

i never, EVER, said tracy is in the right mind. i don't understand most of his decisions. how someone can be such a superstar in their own mind, and shirk the responsibilities that come with it blows my mind. in life you get out of things what you put into them. he puts in the minimum, and maybe, finally it caught up to him and he will learn from it. doubt it though.

2 people like this.
  13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

repped

you forgot to add that when he announced his surgery to the media, it was when his face was on the front page of espn.com talking about serious trade discussions involving him

14. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

thanks man. it seems like people are really short sighted on this topic, yknow? i know its been covered a hundred times, but still . . . arent we all Rockets fans here? Is it that hard to see how Tracy's dramatics are not just a minor annoyance, but actually a bad thing for this team?

we all have family, friends, or people we know who let us down. when they do, there is always a desire to forgive. but at some point there has to be a line. at some point, you have to quit being surprised when the snake you forgave for biting you a week ago decides to bite you again. its a snake. that's what snakes do. tracy's a quitter. this is what he does.

the question in front of us is . . . do you put that quitter back on a team full of guys who only win because they refuse to quit?

15. DaDakota

Repped +1 (enjoy your 2nd dot)

At some point you have to move on, and stop being an enabler and give some tough love.

DD

16. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

why would he come of the bench!?, for what to start Battier.....

Battier is the one that needs to go the bench!!!!, on offense all he does is hide in the corner for a three.....T-mac at least demands a double team, creating open space for other players....

09/10
    Aaron/ Lowry
    McGrady/ Budinger
    Ariza/ Battier
    Scola/ Landry
    Hayes/ Andersen

17. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Let him play 9-8 whats the worst that can happen

18. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

i feel all warm and fuzzy inside. ;)

i think tough love is exactly what's going on right now. hold the love.

i'm glad the rockets have been tough with tracy. despite the theatrics, he needs to learn to be a team player, no, not in the office space kinda way either. even if he gets back on the court at some NBA level, he's not a superstar anymore. the sooner he's able to embrace what it's like to have to work like all the non-superstars have to work, honestly, the better for him in the long run.

19. TranMcGrady

TranMcGrady Member

Tracy has a chance of earning a starting spot IF Ariza continues his shoot slump. Ariza is a great player don't get me wrong, I love his defense. He gets so many steals and he is very lengthy. He also finishes strong on the fast break, but the one thing that is holding him back is his shooting. He has entered a huge slump and missed many wide open threes. Unless he improves it is somewhat possible that Tracy could take his spot IF he is healthy, plays defense, and blends in with the team. Battier spot is also up for grabs, his defense hasn't been spectacular so far and he is also in a shooting slump.

20. NOIINTEAM

NOIINTEAM Member

Before you , Blake and HowsMyDriving congratulate each other for being on the same page , listen very carefully to what keith jones and doctor clanton had to say . And do a recap the way only you can do it for all the people who didn't listen to it . thank you very much for all your hard work .