1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NewsOK] Tracy McGrady's return harmful?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by worzel gummidge, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Hball

Hball Member

So it's true the organizations interest is to save money, instead of putting the best players out there to win :rolleyes:

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If that were true, why would they spend millions on signing Ariza, Andersen and buying picks this summer?

The organization does not believe McGrady is among "the best players out there to win" until he proves it in practices. The organization is not interested in wasting $220K a game to find out whether McGrady still "got it" or not.

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

the point about finishing his rehab on the court is the part that I side with the rockets on, if he is 100% or even as good as he is ever going to be he can suit up and earn his playing time, but finish your rehab first girls name

really is a tough situation clearly girls name wants to play to prove himself around the league so someone overpays for coming seasons, the rockets save insurance money if he doesn't but if he plays and proves himself then he has trade or really optimistically if he is back then he could even help the team

4. ibm

ibm Member

mid-term election is near. i think some campaign managers will contact you and offer you a job once they see the way you spin things in your post.

5. number22

number22 Member

terrible article. peter vescey, richard justice are your quotes. great stuff :cool:

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Im fine with that but the organization is being extremely vague and elusive, which is what bothers me. Acting like that gets the masses restless and you see all sorts of speculation and outrageous theories, as we saw last week.

Id be much more inclined to accept the organizations stance if they just came out and said:

"We want to avoid the inconsistancy we saw in Tracy last year by being extremely cautious with his return. We are unsure how he fits into the new system so we want his integration to be as seemless as possible, without being hampered by lingering effects of the surgery. Therefore we have decided to hold him out until it is a certainty that he is completely healed and his role on offense is thoroughly understood in practice.

How hard is that?

7. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

you're exactly right.

what's also funny is that last year the whole board (especially our friend dd) demanded mcgrady to play through it instead of taking time off to get in game shape. and now all of a sudden the same people are all crazy because he actually wants to play himself into game shape.

it's really funny because people can't seriously be that dumb or ignorant to believe that there's no way mcgrady could play without hurting the team. starting to play him in garbage time wouldn't hurt anybody (well, maybe brian cook's shots per minute stats...). giving him 10 minutes here and there when ariza goes 7/23, brooks can't do nothing right and battier's offense is non-existent wouldn't hurt anybody.

it's not like mcgrady has to come back as a starter playing 40+ minutes while taking 20+ shots. the garbage time of one single game would be enough for everyone to know what mcgrady can or can't do right now.

8. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

especially considering thats exactly what he did last year and it didnt turn out so well - you t-mac-only-fans have some real short term memories.

t-mac is trying to take the easy way out by 'playing himself back into shape' - he did the exact same thing last year and the results were disastrous - the rockets would be stupid to allow him to dictate the timetable, like they did last year.

9. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

He did do so? Are you kidding me?

But actually the accusation looks pretty firm to me, maybe they're really afraid of scenario which would inevitably break team chemistry with his return.

Last year,the doctor cleared him to play, but he didn't feel right on his knee. Months later, after working hard all summer long with Tim Grover he gains confidence in himself that he could probably push himself back to his old self, then nobody give a damn what he claims. Right, just strap him with order in the inactive list and do not allow him to suit up, then nothing's gonna stand in the way of Rockets future youngsters prosperity. oh right, seeking a trade would be perfect, Morey Git R done! :rolleyes:

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

t-mac is the one rocking the boat w/ his behavior (dressing up for games) and his inability to keep his damn mouth shut. the rockets organization is saying and doing all the right things.

how hard would it be for t-mac to keep his mouth shut and act like a professional instead of a spoiled child?

11. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

ok he is spoiled child.. diva .. etc. .which is quite true considering his behavior in the past two seasons..

but as an organization .. you are meant to cater to the fans and their interests.. so why can't the rockets do that? why dont they just come out and tell what larsv8 said..?

it always takes two hands to clap.

12. larsv8

I spoke about the organization and its relationship with the fans. It has nothing to do with what Tmac says or does.

13. larsv8

Oh believe me, the irony is not lost on me.

Last Year: Im injured I cant play! You're fine, get out there and suit up!
    This Year: Im healed I can play! No, you're injured, get back into street clothes.

Last Year: Tracy plays such selfish basketball, all he does is heat check three pointers.
    This Year: Ariza plays such good team ball, so what if camps the three point line and only shoots 36% on 25 shots a game, he plays within the offense!

14. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

on your first point - tracy didn't think about any of that when he betrayed the organization, players, coaches and fans and got surprise (and debatably necessary) major surgery did he? screw him. he doesn't deserve to play. whether he's injured or not, i dont care. if the coaches, GM, owner, and players dont want him to play then let him rot, or go get more surprise major surgery. maybe they can give him a heart, or sew his mouth up.

on your second point - ariza is a developing scorer, and is going to get better by taking lots of shots, just like every young scorer develops by taking lots of shots. he does take alot and miss alot, but everyone else is also involved, and rarely does ariza dominate the ball in a half court set and force everyone else to just stand around. tracy tried to make himself the whole offense and took shots in the flow of his own game. ariza takes the shots that come via the offense. there is a gigantic difference, even if they both take and miss a lot of shots.

i mean, can you look at it from the perspective of what's in the best interest of the Houston Rockets as a team and basketball organization please? tmac is not your team. the Rockets are your team.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't know what's so ironic about the team having learned from last year that McGrady is not tough enough to play through frustration and pain and thus deciding not to take the same approach this time around.

I don't know what's so ironic about the team understanding that while last year's team could manage a .500 record while withstanding McGrady's subpar play, this year's team doesn't quite have that margin for error.

I don't know what's so ironic about the team, with Yao and Artest, deciding last year to see if McGrady could get healthy in time to join them for a deep playoff run and deciding to having more of a focus developing young players and team play this season with Yao injured and Artest signing with the Lakers.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And so the Tmac fanboys come out of the woodwork, all indignant.

Never mind the basic truth in the article. Tmac wants to play his way into shape, as he always does. But playing on a bad knee last year was a disaster. This year, he would be playing on a surgically-repaired knee.

Then you have that problem of the ball-stopper. Tmac always wants the ball in his hands. If he were completely healthy, you just might go for that. But he isn't.

I believe the next time you want to cheer on Tmac, he may very well be on another team. Tmac is who he is, Adelman is who he is. Not much middle ground, unless Morey says, "I really can't find a deal I like, Rick, and we can't keep sitting him."

17. mms

mms Member

How did this crap get 5 stars?

18. number22

number22 Member

except according to team doctors jones and clanton. microfracture surgery was always an option. so i don't get this betrayal. they all agreed to go with a less career threatening surgery. it didn't work out. so you find out what do to next. what person in there right mind would chose to have career ending surgery if it wasn't necessary. you guys boggle my mind with this he didn't really need surgery crap or its debatable if he needed. No he needed the procedure done all along.

19. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

your "facts" are almost all wrong.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is exactly what the organization has been saying all along.

They don't think he is healthy yet, they want to avoid a repeat of last year, and they currently have good chemistry.

Nothing new here, if you listen to the trustworthy people talking, mainly Rick Adelman, Daryl Morey and Elston Turner, you would come to the same conclusion.

DD