1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newsday: 'Fixer:' Bryant Case Might Break Many Before It's Over

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dragon167, Jul 21, 2003.

1. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-how0720,0,5630312.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists

Johnette Howard
    SPORTS COLUMNIST

'Fixer:' Bryant Case Might Break Many Before It's Over

July 20, 2003

I know someone in the sports management business who gets paid by stars to make problems go away -- legal problems, women problems, image problems, whatever. Colloquially, such cleanup artists are called "fixers." Many of them prefer more respectable titles such as "crises communication consultant" or "reputation management expert." But fixers is what they are. Some are quite high profile. Some, like the fixer I know -- let's say her name is B. -- prefer to work under the radar, leaving few fingerprints.

Generally speaking, the pattern is the same. The more important the celebrity and the bigger their crisis, the bigger, more sophisticated -- and yes, more cutthroat -- their team of fixers is likely to be. But then, part of a fixer's job isn't to do the morally "right" thing. A fixer is supposed to win the best possible outcome for their client -- period. No questions asked.

So when Mark D. Hurlbert, the district attorney for Eagle County, Colo., announced that he was pressing forward with a sexual assault charge (a Class 3 felony that's the equivalent of rape) against Kobe Bryant on Friday, I called B. -- who does not work on Bryant's team -- seeking, basically, the confessions of a fixer.

When a client like Bryant is charged with something like this, what happens next? What tactics might be used. How far will fixers go?

"I'm more familiar with the spin part," B. said, speaking only on the condition of anonymity. "The paying-off part is a whole different caliber of people -- real shady private-eye kind of guys, the tough guys. They know how to do this. I mean, there's so many different ways to do it. "Sometimes, it's intimidation. You scare people. Pressure people. Sometimes, it's payoffs [to the accuser], though this doesn't seem to be that kind of girl or that kind of family. They had two weeks to change their mind."

"Honestly, I feel sorry for this family and this woman," B. said of Bryant's 19-year-old accuser. "Because they have no idea what's about to hit them. Everything is choreographed. Everything is orchestrated."

Private investigators have been digging for information. Stories will be leaked and spun by both sides. Surrogates for Bryant will be given "talking points" to convey his message (so far, that's been that Bryant may be guilty of the sin of adultery but not a crime). Noting Bryant shaved his goatee and hair since taking his police mug shot, B. said, "That was deliberate. You want him to look different." His superior media contacts, his powerful friends, will be exploited. Money will be spent on focus groups.

Focus groups to influence public opinion beyond Colorado or potential jurors in the state? "Both," B. said.

"The whole nature of that little town is going to change. Because the media is going to descend there and people like to be on television. We're going to see lots of people vilified. We'll hear the district attorney is a bad guy, the sheriff is a bad guy, the girl is bad, her brother is bad . . . The sort of things that happen all the time to the rest of us during our lives will be dug up and used. We're going to know it all. But most people will never know where it's coming from.

"All of us will soon know when she had her first kiss and who she slept with and anything that happened to her. We'll see talk shows booking someone she beat out of cheerleader practice. We're going to hear from somebody in the next hotel room. Kobe's bodyguards will talk at some point and say, no, when we checked into the hotel, she was coming on to Kobe. We've already heard that one.

"It's already started.

"Someone somewhere figures, 'Hey, that's all we got right now, and this guy made it clear he wasn't going to bring charges unless he felt he got a slam dunk, so ... '"

"We're going to hear a lot of people suddenly confessing to adultery now, too. We're going to hear it's an OK thing. Adultery has to be an OK thing now. Because Kobe has admitted to it. You're going to hear about racism in Colorado, too, trust me."

Sure enough, just hours later, Bryant's attorney Pamela Mackey complained several times Friday night that Colorado authorities were guilty of "a rush to judgment" regarding Bryant -- a racially charged phrase borrowed directly from O.J. Simpson's defense team.

So how does this Fixer see Bryant's trial ending?

"If I had to guess, Kobe is going to be convicted of stupidity, and probably nothing more than that."

Copyright ?2003, Newsday, Inc.

#1 dragon167, Jul 21, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2003
  2. Summer Song Giver

It's a shame that things like racial tensions around the country will be kicked up and stirred up again because one basketball player couldn't take no for an answer or because one little slut for some reason or another decided that sex with a star was not enough. People like these "fixers" cheapen the American way of life to the benefit of one person's agenda and it becomes purely a reflection of American society and wrongfully so. It sickens me.

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Johnette Howard, Newsday sports columnist, hit the nail on the head. These are the kinds of people who cause great harm to the justice system. They believe in the Tonya Harding system of winning at any cost -- just break your opponent's kneecaps and skate home to victory.

If Kobe Bryant is convicted, then each of these smear experts should be named and sued for slander. Perhaps they should be anyway. That might make people in this field think twice before they assassinate peoples' good names.

Now, I realize that most of you think that I believe Kobe Bryant is guilty. That is not true. I have repeatedly stated that a judge and jury should decide -- not the kangaroo court of public opinion.

I refer to Kobe as "Bare" Bryant become he admitted his infidelity and because he is a Laker (so it's fun to gore that ox), NOT because I have an opinion as to his guilt or innocence. Read my sig -- it is a question and not a statement.

I do rail against the unfairness of Bryant's "dream" team because he has loads of money with which to defame peoples' character. The prosecution, and chief witness, do not have these same resources, and the media is tilting heavily toward the money (billions of dollars generated by sports idolators as opposed to the hundreds of dollars generated by Eagle, Colorado).

I do not choose to support Kobe Bryant. I do not choose to support his accuser. I do choose to support fairness and justice for all regardless of race, creed, color, political bent, sexual orientation, gender or economic status.

#3 thumbs, Jul 21, 2003
  4. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

Thanks for reminding me, I have edited my post.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

I want to see if he's slept with more than one woman. It will be interesting if more woman come out of the woodwork or if this was his only cheat.

6. thumbs

PSJ: Really now. This is as important as the fact she tried out for some television show. Let's keep our eyes on the donut and not the hole. Public voyeurism is becoming the dominant theme of this case, not the question of innocence or guilt. I do not mean to sound too critical -- I've enjoyed your past posts.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow, speaking of fixers. There's already a story out that the alleged victim overdosed on sleeping pills in "a cry for help" a number of months ago. Gee, somehow, her "friends" were convinced ($$$) to speak about this subject.

overdose

8. prjsino

prjsino Member

where do you get this info from that they were paid money to talk. any credible sources? please post them.:rolleyes:

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

The way they're calling everything that's coming kinda reminds me of Wag the Dog...

10. B-Bob

Of course not. It's called speculation in keeping with this thread's topic. If you read the article, one of her "friends" said that the alleged victim's recent difficulties had a lot to do with her accusations. Could you write better copy as a defense lawyer?

Please lighten up, :rolleyes: , ... :rolleyes: ,
    We all know you work for the Kobe Legal Defense Mafia. :p

#10 B-Bob, Jul 21, 2003
  11. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

You sound like it, so do a lot of other people on this board. I guess most people think that Kobe is a rapist and is going to use his money and fame to handle it. whatever.
    Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? I guess its just natural for most people to believe some small town girl and her accusations, than some NBA star that is a picture of class until she decides to say something, and of course...she COULDN'T be lying. Could she? No way.
    I'm so tired of all these people and their "Oh I know someone who was raped" or "I have so and so daughters". Who cares? Do your examples have any relevance as far as dealing with the special situation with Bryant? I guess everyone thinks his 'rape' situation is the same as any other and that his status wouldn't make ANY woman treat him ANY different than any normal joe.
    People are so quick to give the accuser the benefit of the doubt...even though they no NOTHING about her and what kind of person she is...nothing.
    Hell, a lot of people here that hate kobe are using this as a simple tool to help justify their hatred toward him.
    Its so strange how quickly people want to label the victim as 'obviously' truthful, simply because she is accusing him. What kind of logic is that? It sounds like the exact same type of bias as laker fans have for kobe.

Anyways. There is a lot of info about this matter( a lot more than here) on the laker boards. There were a couple of things that were just released that are strange.
    690, a LA radio station is just releasing that Kobe and the girl had a previous relationship.
    And that nick van exel had previous 'relations' with the woman as well.
    Also some conflicting stories as far as her going up to his room to deliver the room service. Reports say that she paid someone so that she could take it up to his room...but she states that kobe told her personally to take it up to her room. She then says that when she went into the room "He just snapped" and raped her. Here is the link.
    http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/1137.htm

Sorry I just don't buy that. Does anyone here think that any well known public figure would just 'snap' and rape someone for the hell of it? Cmon. NOBODY here knows kobe personally, but I think everyone knows him financially and how hard he's worked to look good in the public's eye...do you REALLY think he'd throw his life's work away so he could 'enjoy' (sick) a couple of minutes of violating a human being?
    Here is the link.
    http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/1137.htm

12. B-Bob

No I don't think so. Good point. But do you think she would have consensual sex and this make all this up, subject herself to the horror that's headed her way, all for the attention? If she wanted money, she could have done that very quietly behind the scenes.

Also, if she wanted attention, she could have gone to any newspaper with a "Kobe Bryant seduced me!" story.

The level of brilliant deviousness that she would need to coldly pull off this sex-with-Kobe-then-go-directly-to-authorities-and-hospital thing boggles my mind. Yeah, it's possible. But plenty of people are just assuming she's that brilliant and evil. Other scenarios make more sense.

#12 B-Bob, Jul 21, 2003
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If he had previous relations with this girl then that changes a lot of the circumstances.

One thing is certain, it is an interesting case.

DD

14. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

[​IMG]

Did someone order horny Kobe steak?

15. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

It very well could, additionally what is the age of statutory rape in Colorado (16-17)? If he's known her for awhile there may be a whole other can of worms since she is currently 19.

16. thumbs

Did you actually read my entire post? At least pay attention to the last graf:

I do not choose to support Kobe Bryant. I do not choose to support his accuser. I do choose to support fairness and justice for all regardless of race, creed, color, political bent, sexual orientation, gender or economic status.

Now let's look at something you just posted:

There is a lot of info about this matter( a lot more than here) on the laker boards. There were a couple of things that were just released that are strange. 690, a LA radio station is just releasing that Kobe and the girl had a previous relationship.
    And that nick van exel had previous 'relations' with the woman as well.

Get real -- the Laker board and a Los Angeles radio station? Where is your head? Could they possibly be biased? Think. If any two of these three ever had relations before, don't you think that whole small, rural town would have been gossiping your ears off? How can you be so gullible -- unless you just WANT to believe what you want to believe?

I have said -- and will continue to say -- let the judge and jury decide without the interference of these "fixers" and people with a vested interest in distorting the truth.

Incidentally, my sig asks a question -- do you know what "exonerated" means? It does not make a statement.

17. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

My first and last comment on Bryant in this case is that, until proven otherwise, he's innocent. Most of us seem to be in agreement on this.

But the confusion seems to stem from two divergences from that maxim: One, that believing Kobe to be innocent until proven guilty necessitates or justifies condeming the alleged victim in this case, and two, that at most Kobe made a regretable but understandable mistake. Neither of those have any connection with reality as I see it. Kobe is innocent until proven otherwise, yes. That does not make the girl a w**** or liar or gold digger until proven otherwise; this inversion of the burden of proof is ridiculous. And if Kobe is guilty, he is not guilty of a mistake, but a serious, selfish, and very hurtful crime.

Give Kobe the benefit of the doubt...he may very well NOT be a rapist. But for God's sake you might want to give the possible 'victim' in this case at least the same courtesy.

18. thumbs

Yeah, what MacBeth said (considering I have not been articulate enough to convey this point).

#18 thumbs, Jul 21, 2003
  19. thumbs

Kudos mr_gootan. This big boy deserves to be a candidate for the next Bevo.;)

20. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

you mean this guy?

[​IMG]