1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NEWS] Explosions near Boston Marathon Finish Line (UPDATE: MIT/Watertown shootout w/ suspects)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vstexas09, Apr 15, 2013.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

CNN reporting that Russia asked the US to investigate the older brother in 2011...FBI didn't think there was anything funky about him. And then in 2012 he goes back to visit family in Kyrzgistan, and it's unclear what happened there...comes back to US and starts YouTube channel to feature radical Islamic clerics. No connection to a specific Islamist group.

Feels a lot like the Fort Hood guy to me so far. Self-radicalization influenced by radical elements.

Sorry if this is older news...just waking up to these details today.

2. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Is the kid alive?

3. MadMax

He is as of this morning.

4. VanityHalfBlack

This dip **** is not going to last long.. Someone from the outside will probably try to murder him or once in prison, someone from the inside will knife this dude in his sleep..

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's the dangerous thing about this ideology. It's like cancer. It can take over previously normal cells (people) and can make them behave irrationally and violently.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

They are going to protect him like the president until they get all the information they need from him.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I wouldn't be surprised if one the victims do it since they are in the same hospital.

8. MadMax

I'd be shocked. This guy is so well protected right now.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

My edit says it all.

Thanks, MadMax, I hadn't seen a summary quite like that, and it makes some rough sense.

I'll never get why the 19-yr-old got involved like that, other than being 19 and looking up to your brother. I hope the facts emerge as to what each of them did.

10. Major

Major Member

Here's a good summary article about the Russia stuff:

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...ll-us-about-the-boston-bombings.php?ref=fpblg

Apparently Russia does this a lot - makes a bit of sense if he was Chechnyan and applying for a VISA to visit Russia, I guess - but a lot of it doesn't pan out and involves internal Russian politics. So it's hard to say at this point if the FBI missed the boat in 2011 or if he was normal back then and radicalized later on.

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

No one will have that opportunity. He will be sent to the federal pen in Florence, Colorado and will be in isolation the rest of his life. Just like the Unibomber, Eric Rudolph, Ramzi Yousef, Moussaoui, Richard Reid, etc.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This. This ain't tv and they aren't sending him to the county lockup.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You are right, sorry. Please feel free to respond in the D&D, if you disagree.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You watch too much TV.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like someone indoctrinated the older brother who in turn indoctrinated the younger one. Reminds me of that movie American History X.

If you look up to someone a great deal, it's easy to see how they might brainwash you into believing pretty much anything.

Hopefully they will be able to find out who helped the older one carry this out.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Some comments from Boston Mayor Menino(on This Week)
    Move to D&D if you want.

All information I have is they acted alone.

We don't know if we'll ever be able to question the individual.

I hope they take him on the Federal side and throws the book at him.

At the time the decision was made, it sure was. (Decision to lock down the city.)

Didn't have a beat on where they were Wednesday. Until the photos were put in place, that's when the investigation really crystallized.

Not convinced they were planning more attacks. That's hearsay. (Later said "I don't know, I would hope not but you never know.")

I think the older brother was really the leader and the younger brother was like you said, brainwashed by his brother and was just a follower. Followed his brother. He brainwashed his younger brother and from there, what happened on marathon day, that's so unfortunate.

#3396 J.R., Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  17. VanityHalfBlack

Not enough exactly.:grin:

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

why do you have to be 21 to drink alcohol then? Because it is believed that young people are more likely to act reckless and stupid, irrational.

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I made some very bad decisions during those ages such as drinking and driving and if I ever killed anybody I would expect to get convicted of manslaughter. It's the law and that's the way it is.

20. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

But we know plenty of adults who still drink and drive. Ask Tony La Russa or more recently Al Michaels. Being older doesn't make you wiser.