1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newly crowned Miss Teen USA is from Tomball...and used to drop the "N" bomb pretty casually

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by shastarocket, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

They developed the genre, so there's no reason to assume rappers now weren't influenced by them.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Like you, calling white southerners "rednecks," claiming they've "outlived their usefulness" and saying you could "buy and sell" everything in their "trailer parks."

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Maybe, but she's only 18 now, and basically asking for a scholarship to be a spokesperson, in part based on her accomplishments and character over the last few years. Does she also use Twitter to promote her pageant wins and affiliation with Miss USA? How is one set of messages less reflective of her character or behavior than another? I don't necessarily want to see grown men who look like me blocking traffic or shouting through megaphones to decry this person, but this isn't great. Maybe just the general discomfort with how we've all allowed depiction of black men and their "culture" to be other people's outlet for reckless and destructive behavior, and character they would never sincerely want to have their opportunities and social status shaped by.

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Am I bad person for watching this and just dying of laughter? Lmaooooooooo when he was holding up the card with both words written and explaining them to the journalist.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

As with any word (none of which are intrinsically "offensive"), whether its offensive or not in a given context should be judged by the people its referring to. Unless you're black, that doesn't include you.

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Race and context don't matter - it's an offensive word. It's not appropriate to use it in school. It's not appropriate at work. It's not appropriate at a community pool or other event. Etc.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I believe he stated that with supremacists have outlived their usefulness hence his words were directed towards jcee15... an actual white supremacists.

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

I used to think that no one should use the N word. But, I'm coming around to thinking all words should be in play for all people. All these rules about who can and cannot use a certain word in a certain way is silly. A person can take offense to any word in the dictionary if they want to. A person can try to turn a perfectly acceptable word into a slur also.

This girl was probably just speaking the way kids talk in school. I wouldn't approve of his type of this language from my daughter. But, we all know kids like to use bad words just to sound cool or grown up.

9. durvasa

Please explain why a group of people who are fine with using a certain word to describe themselves should care if an outsider thinks its appropriate or not for them to do so?

As for what's appropriate to say in school, work, or a community pool -- a lot of things are considered inappropriate to say in those settings. Mild cursing is considered inappropriate around children. Slightly off-color jokes are considered inappropriate in work places. Are you deeply offended by these things as well?

#69 durvasa, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Adults going back and forth arguing over the societal impact of tweets by a 14 year old child made 4 years ago, whose only being discussed at all because of her talent at being pretty.

Trump's ascension is becoming easier to understand.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

She also said b**** too

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

He spoke in the plural and was categorically attacking white southerners under the false pretext that they are uniquely racially biased; then projected his own stereotypical beliefs about their economic productivity.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this. Adolescents say things and make stupid mistakes all the time. It was wrong of her to say that. I hope she learned her lesson. I'm sorry if anyone uses the words of a 14 year old to make blanket judgments about Texas, or Houston suburbs.

This girl isn't very important in the big scheme of things, and so it isn't really worth making a big deal of it.

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

It is an offensive racial slur - a term of contention. How is this even debatable?

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

back in the days when I was Mr.Teen Middle East, I used to call my friends N-. ,no one cared, we had some serious interests like war and stuff

16. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

If you mean "عبد" that's probably worse since it literally means "slave".

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14 to 18 is a big difference - and you had to dig back as it wasn't like she maintained the behavior. She was a child when she did it. Furthermore the use of the word was not about putting people down or meant to be discriminatory. She was clearly using it in a different context.

Is it wrong for my generation to use "Fo Shizzle my Nizzle" because we all were snoop dogg fans?

Fact is that culture gets hijacked. It's been going on for decades.

From my experiences when people knowingly borrow from other cultures, they tend to be less racist if anything.

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

N-word v. Red Nick used as it is in English along with the package of F-word and such, which comes in friendly fashion not as sensitive case as in other parts of the world .everyone get mocked/scorned equally one way or another, I've white skin so if I'm setting next to a Black friends we would be described by a Freind like this : do you see the mole there setting next to the leper/albino guy! those are my Beduins

19. durvasa

This really comes down to whether we choose to be offended by words or by attitudes.

If you want to argue that black people who use the word are being disrespectful to others in their community, particularly those of an older generation who had to endure more extreme forms of racism, that's a fair point.

But anyone who thinks a black person's use of "nig*a" is somehow morally equivalent to a white person saying it or even a white person saying "nig*er", which you seem to be implying when you say race/context don't matter, is just off base.

20. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I guess you've never heard of these guys...

[​IMG]

this is just ignorant. The last time I've heard the N-word came from someone from New Jersey. I truly believe many parts of the North are more racist than the south. Go to Boston, NY or PA and talk to people there.