1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newley > Taylor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pople, Jul 16, 2009.

1. pople

pople Member

If one of these two were to stick with the Rox as a backup SG, based on what I've seen in summer league, I would prefer Newley. My reasons....

1. size - 6'6" vs. 6'4" Taylor is known as a slasher, but his smaller stature
    has made it difficult to finish his drives (even against SL competition)
    2. BBIQ - Newley obviously understands the game, plays within the flow of
    the offense, and is unselfish. He looks like a natural fit for RA's offense.
    Taylor looks like a ball hog.
    3. Experience - Newley's overseas experience has him more NBA ready than
    Taylor's stint in a weak college conference
    4. shooting - not impressed with Taylor's shooting mechanics or the results.
    Newley's shot looks solid

With the emphasis on team play and motion offense, give me Newley over Taylor.

thoughts?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't think Newley will ever see the NBA floor....not sure about Taylor yet, but Newley looks like at BEST a 15th man....

DD

3. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Agreed, Newley is not very impressive, I have seen more potential in Taylor.

Neither are ready to contribute right now, but Taylor has a higher chance of doing so in the future.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

They're not going to give up on Taylor after a few summer league games. At the least he makes the roster and spends time in the NBDL, especially if they decide Budinger can play decent minutes.

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I thought about starting a thread on this guy because no one ever mentions him. He reminds me of Matt Harpring; he looks like a pretty powerful kid...

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

$$$$$ is a factor, Morey would have some serious explaining to do to Les if he just spent $2 million for a pick and the guy didn't even make the roster.

Taylor could basically be a bust, but he will get a guaranteed roster spot for at least one year.

DD

7. BugOnAHarley

BugOnAHarley Contributing Member

I agree. I like Newely but he has not stood out in these games so far.
    Taylor has been OK but certainly not as efficient as Budinger (sp?)

8. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

Newley has shown alot more to me but i guess taylor will be able to do more over time.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Feigen actually said he thinks Taylor will make more of an impact than Budinger. But that might have just been first impressions after a one or two summer league games.

10. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Based on summer league, Newley was better than JT. But, this is JT's 1st summer league and he battled an injury that may have slowed him down. Newley shot mid 30% for 3s and 2s, not exactly lighting it up against inferior competition. Guarantee Newley won't be on the roster, JT will be based on potential.

11. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

How about we let that hamstring fully heal before we make a judgment on taylor? Also is a 4 game sample truly enough to classify budinger as a steal and taylor as a bust? Any scout would tell you no.

12. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I'm waiting to see how Taylor plays when fully healthy ...

13. mob16151

mob16151 Member

Im waiting to see how Taylor looks next season......

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

As many other players that thrived in the lower levels have experienced, you can't just make it in the NBA with smarts and great shooting. There's a basal level of athleticism you need to be able to make your man pay by penetrating to the hoop if he plays you too close, or to play defense on the other end without acting as an absolute sieve.

Steve Nash for all his shortcomings on defense is still a good enough athlete to meet the NBA's cut, and once that is true then his other strengths shine through to make him a star. On the other hand, you could have NBA-quality skills but not the athleticism and completely whiff on the NBA (Redick, Novak are more extreme examples). Unfortunately right now, Newley still fits in this category. It is looking more and more doubtful that he will ever be an NBA player in my mind.

15. mob16151

mob16151 Member

Have to respectfully disagree with that part of your analysis because while Reddick hasn't looked great when he's been on the court he's been solid.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wish Von hadn't behaved in an immature manner during the end of the season and had worked harder on his defense,passing and rebounding. He should look for what is best for him,but there could have been an important role for him,now it's looking increasingly unlikely.

17. Niaperzly

Niaperzly Member

Newley has impressed me more than Taylor so far, but there are a few things to consider. First off, SL provides a very small sample size. Secondly, we don't know if Taylor is fully 100 percent after his hamstring injury; remember Taylor did sit out the first SL game. I think what Taylor does in practice will be more telling of how he fits on this team.

18. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Nooooooo. Not again... Morey spent Les' 2 mil on Lull as a stash pick and Les didn't mind. As for whether the player wants to go to Europe, they don't have much of a choice. From Coon's CBA FAQ:
    The only way a player in this situation can force the issue is to stop playing professional ball for a year (and lose out on playing experience and $). Otherwise the team has all the leverage when it comes to getting the players to accept playing in Europe.

19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

That was my thinking also....

20. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Summer league is meaningless.

Everything will be decided in training camp and the pre-season.