1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newark Star-Ledger: Clemens may miss games

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by countingcrow, Feb 5, 2004.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-astrosclemensmaymiss&prov=fanball&type=lgns

Astros: Clemens may miss games

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
    Wednesday, February 4, 2004

News

Prior to signing with the Houston Astros, pitcher Roger Clemens made it clear that he does not want baseball to interfere with his personal life, and he may miss some games this season to attend to other business. "We don't even start talking if I don't have the opportunity to see my two older [sons] pitch," Clemens told the Newark Star-Ledger. "This is going to be my biggest balancing act ever. I want to be there when my son hits a double and he looks up into the stands. I've got to be there. If I'm not, I'm cheating him and myself." Clemens later added, "I've got a bunch of things going on in April and May and two events that I'm not going to be able change because they're for really nice charitable causes, and they've raised a lot of money for me to attend, and I'm not going to disappoint those people."

Views

It sounds like Clemens will certainly have some scheduling conflicts, and it could result in him having starts pushed back or simply missing turns in the rotation. It's tough to know at this point just how big of an issue this may be for fantasy owners, but certainly we need to be wary about a pitcher who may end up starting fewer games than his counterparts.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

OK, Roger Francis...If you want to see your sons pitch, then you should have stayed retired...

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

why am i doubting the veracity of this quote??? particularly given his comments in the local media to the contrary.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I think it's perfectly fair. As long you are up front about it then there's no problem. Everyone should be treated like an adult until they prove otherwise.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

According to the reports in the Houston papers, Clemens may miss time on days he is NOT scheduled to pitch. The Astros checked with veteran players such as Bagwell and Biggio and each indicated that they had no problem with the arrangement.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I also don't have a problem with this as long as everyone is upfront about it from the start and no one has a serious problem (in the dugout). During the regular season there is little reason to ever need Clemens there on days he is not pitching. During the playoffs that might change, but I doubt he will be missing any of THOSE games (assuming they happen...don't want to get cocky).

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Who the hell cares .... He said I'll pitch for yall under these conditions ... If the Astros are to be upset at this then they should have told him to stay retired. Good for Roger that he is able to pitch while still seeing his sons.

You sound like the Yankee fans complaining about Pettitte's wife because he wants to pitch at home

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I thought what A-Train said was pretty damn funny.

9. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

though I am as excited about Clemens being an Astro as the next guy, I do wonder about the potential explosiveness in the chemistry between Kent and Clemens.

this is a thing I could see not going over well with Kent.

hopefully, I'm wrong. I'm not necessarily predicting friction; I'm just seeing the possibility for it.

if there was going to be friction between anyone, I think it would be between Kent and Clemens.

they're both hotheads. I could see Kent resenting Clemens not being around when Kent is playing with his fragile wrist. and I could see Clemens not respecting how Kent hurt it in the first place.

one way or another, this year's Astros should make for great entertainment.

as for the article, I think it's clearly written to appease bitter northeasterners. "hey, everybody, look. it's not going to be all peaches and blue bell ice cream down in Texas. be happy!"

at least that's how the out-of-context excerpt looks.

10. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Clemens is going to be at the ballpark on the days he is scheduled to pitch. This article is written by a bitter New Yorker trying to make his fellow new yorkers feel better about losing a 17 game winner.