1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Yorker Magazine article: The Making of the Fox News White House

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

note: this doesn't justify what the DNC is doing...

RNC suspends NBC News, Telemundo as debate partners
    10/30/15 01:46 PM—UPDATED 10/30/15 08:27 PM
    http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/rnc-suspends-participation-nbc-news-debate

2. biff17

biff17 Member

Ok I'll bite why do you think she matters?

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok I'll play your game. Why do you think she DOESN'T matter?

this is so much fun

4. biff17

biff17 Member

Because she is a freshman congresswoman who comes from a small district in Michigan who has not national footprint.

Ok can you now answer my question?

5. NewRoxFan

I don't believe lou dobbs is reflective of the news part of fox news, but his extremism isn't helping the political and even civic divide that now exists and seems to be getting worse...

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Because she is a freshman congresswoman who comes from a small district in Michigan who has not national footprint who says she's going to file articles of impeachment against the President by the end of the month

7. biff17

biff17 Member

do you think because she filed them that it will start impeachment proceedings?

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This is also true in the Dem primary thread. It's a mojo & os dialog.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Can't Trump just refuse to participate in debates he doesn't like? Given his incumbency advantage, he probably doesn't need debates to help his campaign. It would be just like him to bully his way to getting debates only in venues where he has an advantage. Whoever the Democratic candidate, they need to have a communication strategy that can give them a voice without any debates at all.

What are yall even arguing about at this point? Someone complained Democrats are crying too much about impeachment and others objected that they don't talk about it as much as Republicans allege they do. Obviously and as you've demonstrated, some Democrats are talking about impeachment, even if it has no legs right now. Is it "too much"? No one has tried to define what "too much" is.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

don't look at me, I'm just humoring biff at this point

11. NewRoxFan

Sure, he could. I doubt his ego would ever come to that position, but there is nothing that says he has to attend debates. Heck, even if there was, he has shown enough disdain for following laws and rules let alone tradition.

That said, I hope that the DNC reverses it position... hopefully after a honest and healthy discussion with fox news management. I'd also think that true journalists at fox news have to have read the New Yorker Magazine article and at least some of the charges hit home. I think there are a number of good and honest journalists on the fox news side (Chris Wallace, Brett Baier, Shepard Smith, and Neil Cavuto to list a few more recognizable names). I think Wallace would be a good moderator of a debate.

12. JuanValdez

I'm not sure I understand why it's important to you that Fox be a partner for DNC primary debates. Even if their impartiality isn't in question, Fox is still a conservative news outlet. The DNC is a non-government organization and they are trying to decide amongst themselves who should represent them in the general election for president. One, they don't need a ton of media partners to accomplish that, so what's the harm of choosing some and excluding others? And two, why partner with an organization that is clearly not aligned with the values and goals of your party when there are similar organizations that can also be professional and impartial and are aligned with the party's values and goals?

RayRay10 and biff17 like this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Fox has become an outright propaganda organ for the trump machine. As a Democrat myself, I have no problem with excluding Fox "news" from participating in the Democratic primary debates. A suggestion? Ask the BBC to stand in for them. They would ask some tough questions, but they would be fair, fair being a concept Fox lost years ago.

CometsWin likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

I understand your points and really can't say you are wrong with any of them. I guess in the same way I would have thought republicans would have wanted the possibility that an NBC or Telemundo viewer might learn something or even be attracted to one of the republican primary candidates in 2015, I think it would be shame to not have the possibility that a fox news watcher to hear and learn about one of the Democratic primary candidates. I also guess I am unrealistically optimistic that the news media will be come less tied to one side or another.

15. JuanValdez

On the last point, yes you're unrealistically optimistic. The political lean is part of the business strategy for Fox News on one side and MSNBC on the other.

You make a good point about exposure. It'd probably help Democratic candidates if incrementally more Fox News watchers accidentally saw them debate. But it seems like just a tactical decision of whether the payoff is worth the risk.

16. biff17

biff17 Member

No you are trying to Troll since you can't answer the question.

17. biff17

biff17 Member

Can somebody tell me what this actually means not to "partner" with Fox news.

18. NewRoxFan

I believe it means the networks get to own the telecast rights. I also believe the "partner" gets to have one of their personalities as the lead moderator. In this case the fox news reporters would still be able to cover the debate.

19. biff17

biff17 Member

Ok does not seem that punitive.

just some red meat for the base.

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

The question CANNOT be answered because you have posited the existence of the spectral evidence of “who matters,” a term of political Art that only someone with the enlightened Congressional Quality Consciousness which you alone seem to possess can fathom or see.

Therefore I concede victory to you and wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.