1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New York or California: Where's the place to visit?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by finalsbound, Apr 4, 2006.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

You do realize there are beaches around New York? I mean, it is an island. And it's a whole different world just an hour out of the city. And if you're cute, the Hamptons in the summer can be lots o fun...

And the vibe is that the city is ready to let loose and groove this summer. The clubs are hoppin and people are tired of the stress of the times. I have a feeling its going to be a fun summer in the city...

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Any hot guys?

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

If you take the Number 7 train in NYC, there are some pretty hot "queers and dopeheads."

4. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

If cost is a concern, China will be cheaper over a span 2 weeks once you factor in food and lodging, given similar level of decadence.

For example, the best noodle I've ever had was noodle with Chilean sea bass in black bean sauce at Nobu's. Cost: $28 (I think, and they don't have it anymore :( ). A very very close second was noodle with shrimp and leeks at some restaurant in Shanghai. Cost: $8 (which is astronomical for China).

5. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

depends on where in cali, its a boring place. visit NY :)

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

west coast til i die MFers.

NW Houston is nice this time of year.

7. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

i was born and raised in houston
    lived in la
    and currently live in nyc

nyc is a nice place to visit with lots of tourist destinations, but you wouldnt wanna live here, it's entirely too expensive, dirty, and old and the subway sucks

cali is nice too with much much better weather than nyc and the people arent as rude

it really depends on what you're looking for

if you want a laid back and chill vacation go to cali

if you want a more upbeat and lively vacation go to nyc

btw, the beaches in nyc suck in general, but really suck when compared to cali

one last thing, overall, the women in texas make the women in cali and nyc look like crap

8. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

NY
    pros:
    - summer is awesome with free events, outdoor festivals, street fairs, hanging out in the park
    - the club scene is not great, but the lounge scene is. poetry slams, art exhibitions, ps1 (crossover between modern art and a big outdoor party in queens); time out new york is your friend (so is the L mag)
    - with two weeks, you can hop over to martha's vineyard, check out the hamptons, and drop by newport

cons:
    - it's hot in the summer. all that walking and subway riding may get to ya.
    - if you just stick to the tourist drag, you'll get burned out, so explore the neighborhoods!

California
    pros:
    - great weather. wine valley is awesome, as is san francisco and the beaches from LA down to the south.
    - take a road trip. pacific highway is gorgeous from LA up to SF and Seattle.

cons:
    - it's not NY. things are more spread out and harder to find if you're a traveler.

It depends. What do you want to do on your vacation? Rest? Relax? Get some culture? Go crazy?

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

can i go with you finalsbound shannon?

10. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

one last thing about nyc is that there is almost an awesome concert every night somewhere in the city and they're relatively cheap

for example, for $5 i saw poison pen, hasan salaam, immortal technique, styles p, j hood, and sheek louch all perform on the same night

i also saw cunninlynguist perform for $10 earlier this week

even got to see talib kweli and mary j blige for like 10 bucks as well

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Since I live in Cali, I would rather visit New York, especially during baseball season so I could go to Yankee Stadium. For a Texan, the decision might be tougher. If beaches are your interest, pay no attention to those who tell you that NY has beaches. Northern California is a lot different from SoCal, and there is tons of stuff to do up here as well. I would suggest at least spending a weekend at Yosemite, one of the most spectacular places I have ever been.

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

We could just round up the board and go visit moestavern derek! Haha I am a genius!

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I don't know if your 21, but one of my all time best trips has beeen a tour of Northern Cali. Fly in to Oakland (it's just across the bay and cheaper) get a small car, go over and do San Francisco for two or three days, (Music , food people, ambience) then head west to Nappa or Sonoma for a day or two of wine tasting ( it is as fun as it looks in Sideways) then head over to Yosimite for a day or two (gorgeous hiking), then a bit of a long drive down to Carmel (surfers, beach, artand well, for me Pebble Beach Golf $$$, 17 mile drive, a day trip down to Nepenthe) I haven't stopped at Santa Cruz myself but I have heard lots of kids hang out there in the summer.

If you want to take two weeks you can head south to LA via San Simeon and my favorite city Santa Barbara, It's a long 400 miles but one of America's best drives. But reallly, if you take 10 days to do the Northern Cali loop you can just head back up to Oakland to fly out.

Another cool addition could be from Yosimite over to Lake Tahoe ( the most beautiful tourist trap in America...it's fun though really) That would take you two weeks.

#33 Dubious, Apr 5, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I didn't stay long but I have been to both LA and NYC (stayed one night at each), passing through on business trip and coming back from Europe. They both have their pros and cons as people have pointed out and of course, they are both extremely expensive. One day I want to spend a week in NYC but do it with a family. I don't know about riding the subway or a taxi, everywhere I go, though. California would appeal to me because of the beaches and the better weather, but definitely would not want to live there (COLA is ridiculous as is NYC).

With all that being said, I think you should go to Lompoc, CA.

15. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Cool beans, I didn't know that John Rocker posted here! :eek: :D ;)