1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Type of Dunk Contest

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by wizkid83, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Cool, what do you think about my HORSE idea that you glossed over?

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Sounds good and would be entertaining, although I fel like every dunker has different strengths and it could be unfair to some.
    I don't really see the need to revamp the format honestly, this contest was good and last year's was probably the best of all-time.

In the end, every dunk contest sucks when participants miss their dunks or don't show any creativity, no matter what format you use.
    I'd like to see more emphasis on the dunks themselves next year, instead of usind drones or constantly jumping over people.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The best contests are honestly when there are 2, 3 participants who are equally creative, strong and athletic.

And when they are equally focused and prepared. I give you that. Good shows for the fans!

That Derrick Jones guy was long as hell yet lacked a lot of strength - looked like a stick.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

He's shown a lot of strength in other contests and in-game, it just didn't work out this time. Really looking forward to next year, him and GR III should be spectacular if they fully prepare.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not sure I like the horse idea but I was thinking last night that I believe it was Jones should have just done the exact same dunk Robinson did right before just better... which he could have done.

The props are definitely problematic. No props would make it much much better.

Stars plus no props = worthwhile

My 7 year old much preferred the 3 PT contest to the dunk contest. Although that a rocket was in it and winning certainly helped.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with what some others have said here is that the main problem isn't the dunks themselves, but rather the people doing them. No one cares about guys who don't play very much. People get a lot more invested if there's stars out there, which then causes the atmosphere to be much better for each dunk. Those rivalries between star players as they try to one up each other is what makes the contests memorable.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

LaVine vs Gordon was one of the most well-received contests of all time, I don't get how people can still say you need stars to participate in order to make it attractive. If the dunks are great (see last year), no one gives a crap about who did them.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

That was one rare year. It was a great dunk contest in terms of dunk quality, but the atmosphere wasn't nearly as good as it was, say, when TMac, VC and Steve Francis were battling it out. Or even when Josh Smith or Dwight Howard won it.

BTW, LaVine and Gordon are both starters in this league, so while they're not "stars," they're not scrubs either. The NBA just needs to incentivize better players to join, and it will be better.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Proposed Dunk: While Harden is dunking he silmultaneously hacks the Utah Jazz bank account, drains it, and wires all of the money directly to the residents of Houston. Everyone check your bank accounts!

11. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Someone will get injured and then NO ONE would wanna participate ever again..

Bye bye dunk contest.
    Hello layup contest

12. PhiSlammaJamma

I am fine with the entertainment aspect, but what they need to do is guarantee me entertainment whether or not they make the dunk. So you put together something fun for 2 minutes, intro, skit, movie, comedy, whatever, but high quality direction and some star power, and then you go for the dunk. That way we all win. And if you happen to finish with a great dunk that's a topper. If you miss, ok, you're out, but you still entertained me and I'm happy.

Not. Hard. to. Improve this.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've been advocating getting the street dunkers go against NBA stars. There are lots of weirdos out there who can do jaw-dropping things. The Dunk Contest has been a sideshow anyway. Why not?

14. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Cool idea, but too bad NBA players will not risk their reputations like that. I feel like basketball history is just a little bit incomplete because LeBron never did a dunk contest.

Easy likes this.
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That's kind of the BS we got the year Griffin jumped over the hood of that KIA. They had Cheryl Miller and Kenny doing a huge talk before dunk, there were choirs, a little kid and all kinds of crap involved. The dunks themselves were meh.
    I honestly remember most people, me included, being fed up with that and it also sparked huge discussions.

The dunk contest is at it's best when it's purely about dunking, see the old ones or the better ones of the 2k era. Don't use too many props or skits, just show us your best dunks and be creative.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That season, both of them started in roughly 10 games each prior to that contest.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

The key is to tell a story. Entertain me. So easy.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

They still knew who they were. That dunk contest was a nice surprise, but the better the players, the more interested people will be.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

don't really care for the name of the players. I don't think that's much of a factor anymore. If you can put on a dunk show, you can put on a show regardless of who you are.

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

None of that looks good to me..its just going up really fast and coming back down. No artistry that you can appreciate in slow motion and notice all the posture and body contortion. Those subtleties that made the dunk an art form.

A lot of them today also involve just barely getting the ball in or not even grabbing the rim and really softens the finish. Meh....

I'm not saying those crazy dunks today aren't difficult. But, they get more and more difficult and end up needing multiple attempts to complete the dunk which just ruins the entire thing.

Everyone wants to be instantly wowed. But, for me, it's all about the super slow mo replay before I judge a dunk. Anyone can do a windmill, but not everyone can make it look as pretty in slo-mo as Nique did. Many can do a roundhouse kick, but not with the grace of JCVD. Plenty can do the moonwalk, but never make it look like Michael Jackson.

The artistry is gone.
    [​IMG]

#40 Caesar, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017