1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[New Tradition] Standing until first basket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jet Blast, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Watching the Rockets last year and so far this season, I noticed at the beginning of the game that the Rockets bench players don't sit down until the team scores. Certainly this is part of the team unity and spirit of the club.

It would be great if the fans in Toyota Center would follow suit. This is another way that we as fans show support for the Rockets.

The Rockets bench isn't the only team that does this. The New Orleans Hornets fans and bench players remain standing until the first Hornets points.

So, what do you say? Let's stand up at the tipoff and let's not sit down until the Rockets score.

2. Omer

Omer Member

Yeah, I'll watch it on TV. Be sure at least the Red Rowdies do it.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

We did this in college. We also did it at the beginning of the 2nd half.

4. Pocket Rockets

i think we should this. i definitely think we should get behind the team and the bench and support them :cool:

5. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Standing for the first point is great also the last 2 mins of the game we should be standing

6. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

here at A&M we stand all game, well not during timeouts.

7. Angioplasty

Angioplasty Member

This sounds like a great idea, for all of the reasons stated by the other members in this thread. Addtionally, it may help to infuse the crowd- and the players- with an extra burst of energy to start the game. In previous years, it has always seemed as though the Toyota Center lacked the energy that many of us remember from The Summit/Compaq Center. Getting the crowd involved early may help to resolve this issue.

8. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

I think it's a very good idea.. it shows fans support and it makes players feel better... (hopefully they dont make us stand too long before they score their 1st basket! :eek: )

btw, did the Rowdies agree on doing the "duke Jumping up and down" and the thing when we shoot free throws (you know, the "swoosh" thing)??

9. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

How about standing always when the Rockets are down... this will force our players to stay ahead all times.

10. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I always stand when I go to UH games.. I was standing at a Rockets game and this lady behind me asked me to sit down cus she can't see. It just won't work with the Rockets because not all of the 'fans' that come can stand.

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

they've been doing this for Comets games for like the past 3-4 years...

actually, the Rockets tried to copy the Comets where Haley would jump on every letter in mid court to spell out Comets, i remember Clutch tried to do it for an opening game and nobody said anything....

thats on thing about Comets fans I admire, they are more passionate that Rockets fans.... :(

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Do they have a website where people check for the latest news 30-50 times a day?

13. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

yea, u got me there, but just go to at least one game and you'd understand, im sure everybody seen that gay guy dancing on the jumbotron already :p

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Stand the whole game, period. I did it last night, and will do so every game I'm at. Ushers can kick me out if they want (got asked to sit twice last night because people were whining about the Rowdy section), but I'm not sitting.

15. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Make us all other fans proud. Make others stand if they wanna watch.

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

this thing called WINNING is helping.

17. superden

superden Contributing Member

This is so frustrating to hear. If you don't come to the games to cheer, don't go period. Does this happen in other cities where people will complain because the fans are too loud?

18. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

we stand during timeouts also at UT :)

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Slacker....we stand ALL game....when we're at Kyle Field. :p

20. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Actually, pretty much all WNBA fans do this.

It's a cool tradition. The NBA would do well to learn from the WNBA here.

I also think the Sacramento Monarchs' "Hip-Hop Crew" is a way more interesting dance team than the typical hot, but boring NBA cheerleaders... do the Comets have a hip-hop dance team, too?