1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New study: Medicare for All Act would cost $32 trillion+ over next ten years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jul 31, 2018.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Biden never explains that he’s only talking about the difference in Government spending and not the difference In what actual people would be spending. He also doesn’t explain that it would be on TOP of the 1+ trillion the government already spends per year. He just says flat out 750 billion over 10 years with no explanation when comparing it directly to the total 30+ trillion cost of M4A, that is so disingenuous and deceptive that I have to call it lying from my point of view.

That legitimately leaves many people dumbfounded thinking the cost difference between M4A and Biden’s plan is gigantic (750 billion vs 30 trillion) and that we could never in a million years afford M4A. They are deceptively, always leaving out how much our system already cost, there is no gigantic price difference between the plans, we already pay 35+ trillion, and I think if the American people had a clearer understanding of that from people like Joe/Pete/Amy that their healthcare plans would suddenly look a lot less attractive over M4A, and that their speeches over being fiscally responsible, over affordability of their plans would become much more confusing.

#81 ThatBoyNick, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Damn you, Obama!

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Should be required watching. Great piece.

Andre0087 likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If I have to pay an extra 1000$ in taxes year
    but
    I don't have to pay 500$ a month for insurance

I will take that trade off.

Rocket River

5. Nook

Nook Member

It is very hard to say that you intend to increase government spending from 4.79 trillion dollars a year to......... 8.5 trillion dollars for medicare for all and then to 14.79 trillion for the rest of your plan. That means you have to triple the amount of taxes coming into the government and you are only increasing the size of the government.

Now the counterpoint to that is people will no longer be paying co-payments or monthly health insurance payments......... but HOLY STICKER SHOCK.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah.... it doesn't work that way.

How many people are in your immediate family? If you are single or have a small family you will likely be paying more to subsidize those with a large family or that pay very little in taxes.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How much can I expect my taxes to increase?
    Give me a number?
    Let me compare that to my what I pay now. . . .

Rocket River

8. Nook

Nook Member

No one knows the answer to this for certain.

I believe recently even Sanders said he did not know.

The positives are everyone is covered. People are less likely to put off going to the doctor because of costs and there should be improved preventative treatment as there will not be an incentive for people to get sick.

The negatives are that tax payers will be paying for everyone involved. That is to say a family of 5 with one workers will likely pay the same as single person that is working. So some will say it is unfair. I personally am concerned that there will be less medical innovation and it will take longer to be treated.

joshuaao likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The last part is bothers me so much

Single person pays 3000 a year
    Family of 5 pays 10000 a year

After Medicare for all
    Single person pays 1500 a year
    Family of 5 pays 1500 a year

The single person feels it is unfair??? Single person feels slighted and hurt???
    Seriously?? How f*cking evil and how much hatred can you have for fellow human beings
    that you would rather pay more. . .than have everyone pay the same

As the Video with John Oliver says
    People waiting now . . why? cause they don't have the money
    So they have to save up . . which is better a 5 hour wait in line or a 5 month wait while you get the money together?
    between preventative medicine and more coverage I think people will be ok
    The cost of medical coverage may go down because people won't wait until the last minute and worse case senarios
    1000 can fix the problem
    but they don't have it
    so . . . while they waiting
    the price and injury balloons to the point where now it costs 10000

Rocket River

10. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think that second set of numbers is accurate..... more like single person now pays 5000 a year and family of 5 now pays 5000 a year.

Is that good for society? It is at least debatable that it is....... but it is all a matter of perspective..... there will be people that pay more under a single payer system and there will also be people paying less.

There will be people that say "I am paying X into this system but only see benefit Y"......... that really shouldn't be surprising.

Sure there are people waiting now because they either don't have insurance or cannot afford the deductible. However there are also a lot of people with insurance now, that can have a procedure done fairly quickly that will not be able to in a single payer system. Again, it is all a matter of perspective.

That is the hope at least, and I do think that will happen to some extent.

joshuaao likes this.
  11. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

MFA advocates should just lie like how the Republicans lie about the tax cut and say that MFA will pay for itself.
    Present dubious stats about how preventive medicine costs will save Quad-trillions that we pay now for late healthcare issues.

Everyone will get six packs and can have all the soda they want.
    I mean works for one party, might as well give it a try.