1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New SR610 schedule?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by edc, Nov 14, 2004.

1. edc

edc Contributing Member

My sources tell me:

Don't know how accurate this is, and a 5.5-hour morning show is a *lot*. However, It does fit in with everything Chance has said.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nice to see Vandy get a partner... I really think he's a plus on sportsradio, and the fact that he's had to do his schtick on his own for the last 3 years is a reason why many don't appreciate him.

He'll be good w/ Rich... not like Charlie, but then again, not as bad as David.

All this until Charlie gets his new show at 790... any "sources" about that?

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The longer Lance Zierlein is on the radio, the better. I love the morning show.

4. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I believe this news.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

lol!

Jeremy Foster gets his own 30 minute show at 5am?

Jfizzle the man.

I like Matt Jackson starting getting a four hour show also from 6-10. That's not bad.

Best part is there is no Dan Patrick.

6. Miguel

Fizzle's getting hosed! Give him an hour! But 5+ hours of John/Lance is awesome. Giving Rich a better partner than David, and giving Marc a partner PERIOD, should work out better. I wonder who Matt's partner would be.

We need our source! Where are you chance? One stomp means yes, two stomps mean no.

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I wonder if Rich will allow Mark to still use those ridiculous sound effects...lets hope not.

about:mozilla

;)

8. Miguel

Been using FireBird/Fox for over a year now. :p

9. Miguel

Throw in a "Phoenix" too.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I won't be listening til 11 when Rome comes on
    the morning show is too hit and miss with me

Rocket River

11. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Only 2 short weeks ago, I had decided that nobody could ever convince me to purchase satellite radio. Since then, my both my morning (Walton & Johnson) and afternoon (Rich & Charlie) drive time shows have been removed from the air, and have me seriously reconsidering my decision.

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Man, just not sure about Rich and Vandermeer. I mean, damn, the Rockets won't get 5 minutes of air on that show. I love Rich to death. I've known him for many years, but it was Palillo that really kept the Rocket talk active. Rich doesn't really know the Rockets at all. I've even caught him mentioning players at the wrong positions, etc.

Vandermeer is worse. In reality, the guy is a football play-by-play guy. He wasn't hired to know basketball or even baseball. But, putting those two together is going to be tough on basketball fans methinks.

Rich and Charlie had the perfect balance because Rich was more of just a guy hanging out and talking - just like he is in real life I might add - and Palillo was the encyclopedia, the guy who really understood X's and O's and could go into detail about any sport on the map.

Now that he is gone, it could be tough to listen to if want anything like that.

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Funny you should say that. Mrs JB and I already decided we are going with satellite radio this week. I can't wait.

14. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

Jeff, please tell me you guys are going with Sirius, not XM.

15. synergy

synergy Member

people still listen to radio?

16. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

Saying that Vandy is just a football play-by-play guy is insulting. If you want to talk about his play-by-play calling The Texans did an exhaustive nationwide search for the BEST available football play-by-play and they found Marc. And he is equally proficient at calling baseball, field hockey, soccer, and hockey. He is more proficient at calling basketball IMO. He gets hired each year to do radio play by play for ESPN Radio's coverage of the NCAA tournament. He came into a new market and was handed a 2-hour dead zone time slot with no co-host and has totally exceeded expectations. He has increased ratings incredibly and increased revenue as well.

If I sound defensive, it's because I am. Marc and Rich working together would be a great fit. Charlie is instantly deferred to as the end all be all of sports knowledge but IMO he's no Adam Wexler. Charlie prepares for his radio shows better than anyone on earth and it shows in his presentation. That being said Marc is no clouch. He is wittier and infinitely more likeable. I realize that likeability is not always a factor in listenability but I think Marc would drag his incredibly loyal audience with him and grow the existing audience as well.

We have looked at every option there is should Charlie leave and we have come up with a formula that will make us a better radio station. The things we are doing are precisely what I wanted to do when I was first hired on here before there was a threat of a competitor. I am enthused that the Clear channel monster will drag people over to the AM side and once they start flipping around they will find that SportsRadio 610 has the best sports radio. We will come out ahead in this little CC expirement. It's not an expirement or a ploy for a little more $$$ for us. It's what we do. It's what we've done for 10 years.

The line-up listed is wrong.

17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I guess I'm alone here, but Marc Vandemeer is my favorite radio guy and I also like Dan Patrick. Zierlien comes across as too wimpy for my taste.

18. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

There is no longer any reason to listen to 610 unless you want to hear a Rockets or Texans game. I like Lance, but Granato is just torture. The rest of the lineup is just awful. Lord is a clown, Jackson is a cheap Rome wannabe, Vandy is the worst thing to come into this market in a couple of decades, and Jim Rome is just a self-promoting moron who doesn't know anything about sports. Helluva lineup there.

I can't blame Chance for being so defensive, but in all honesty it's a horrible radio station in a town with so many horrible stations. I haven't listened to the Ticket (?) in Dallas, but people I respect say it's much better than 610.

#18 gwayneco, Nov 15, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I agree with Rocket River, the morning show is very hit or miss. Sometimes they are absolutely hilarious, and sometimes they are absolutely boring. I think Marc and Rich will be alright, I can definitely see Chance’s point about Charlie not being the most knowledgable sports personality, just the most well prepared. And I have to disagree that Marc only talks Texans, because he is actually kind of refreshing as far as mixing up the subject matter goes.

And that leads me to another topic. I think there is absolutely too much football on that station during the season. Two 90 minute McClain segments, coach Capers, McKinney, Glenn, and now Car. Plus the whole 8 hr production Game Days. Its just tiring. I never listen to Capers and Glenn, and who ever decided that Glenn needs a show should have their responsibilities taken away. That guy is impossible to listen to. He absolutely murders words and he is a cliché factory. Capers is boring and his voice makes me drowsy. I know this is a football town, and I know you guys are the flagship station but there is way to much Texans talk on that station during the week. It gets old really fast. And that’s not to mention the other football guest, the guy from St. Louis, Baxter, the gambling guys, etc. Way too much.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I like Mark too
    I think the Co host thing will work best too
    When he has someone else on with him
    he seems more relaxed and witty

He should IMO read more emails
    but
    that is life

Rocket River