1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Rice Head Coach

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by weslinder, Apr 3, 2008.

Tags:
  1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

According to Chad Cooper of HoopInsider.com, Rice will be hiring Trent Johnson, current head coach at Stanford, and paying him $600,000/year. I trust the guy, and if he's right, it will be a huge coup for Rice.

2. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I'm not from Houston, an alum of either Rice or Stanford, or any rival of either school, but could you please explain to me why you think this is legitimate at all?

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I know the guy was an assistant at Rice, but why would you leave a sweet 16 Pac 10 school for a 0-16 C-USA school with no fan base?

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Wasn't Stanford in the Elite 8?

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yes! I knew one of those new science buildings had to pay off sooner or later. They finally perfected the mind control ray. Wait 'til you see our football coach. Mwah-ha-ha.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since they lost to Texas, no.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Stanford is a decent basketball school though. In a hell of a conference. 600,000? I bet Stanford would match that if they aren't already paying more as it is.

8. The Drake

The Drake Member

If true, this'll be great. It makes CDC look less like a jerk for firing Willis Wilson (even though it was the right decision).

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Trent was a former assistant at Rice under Willis Wilson. I can't imagine that he would be happy about the way Willis was let go, so I'm not putting a lot of faith in the rumor that Trent will be our new head coach. He may just be using Rice to get more cash from Stanford. He'd be a great get for Rice, though - he's taken both Stanford and Nevada to the sweet 16

10. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Doesn't make sense. Mike Montgomery would have waited out and taken over Stanford if this was the case.

Bring on Charlie Ward.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Charlie Ward should be coaching football. QBs in particular. Not basketball. Not by a longshot. What Ward could contribute to the gridiron is rare.

12. The Drake

The Drake Member

Who knew?

It was actually recently-unemployed Ben Braun.

he's no Trent Johnson, but a solid hire, imo.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member