1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Projects coming to Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Luckyazn, Mar 9, 2008.

Tags:
  1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My wife and I have been seriously considering a move back to The Woodlands...predicated on me finding gainful employment there (or my current gig allowing me to work remotely...which is unlikely). It is no longer, by a long shot, the place I grew up in and lived until about 14 years ago. With all of the development, it's too f***ing crowded. We were in last weekend and went to see a friend who lives a couple miles down Rayford Rd. (just past the tracks). Going back west towards I-45, it took 35 minutes on Saturday afternoon just to get to the freeway. It's kind of starting to freak me out about the prospect of moving back there.

I think it's great that all of this is happening in and for Houston. I'm just losing that loving feeling with the thought of moving back from the Austin area. Yeah...Austin isn't the place I moved to in 1999. But where my home is now, the development is done and has been for years. I love the fact that I never will have to worry about increased traffic just to get out of my neighborhood. I'm hearing it can take 20-30 minutes just to get from Panther Creek out to the freeway now. That's insane to me.

2. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Urban living, no? Isn't that what Inside the Loopers tout?

3. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

This is where I currently live. I love the area, but the idea of all these new apartments/condos/townhouses scares me.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

College Station is where it's at, bro

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, Dallas between Shepard and downtown is almost unrecognizable from just a year ago. Hell, from just a few months ago...

A lot of it was kind of run-down....but all those old houses - especially in the Fourth Ward - had a certain charm and elegance to them. (no hipster)

Now you can tear a building down but you can't erase a memory
    These houses may look all run down but they have a value you can't see

6. Classic

Classic Member

Imperial Oaks vet here.

[​IMG]

7. Anxiety Trooper

Galleria area has some projects on going. Residential & commercial

8. leroy

It must take you an hour. This was just from Millstead Automotive.

9. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What freaks me out is going up on Waugh and then switching to Yale between Washington and 10. That is insanely different and the definition of This Could Be Anywhere, USA.

But otherwise Dallas is getting scary when thinking about congestion. Small streets, dense new developments, ugh. Oh well, I probably won't have to be driving here every day when things really blow up.

10. Classic

Classic Member

Nah, I don't live over there but I used to. I hate that area now based on what you said. Too over developed. I lived there in the mid 90s.

I like the look of this development right by the Exxon campus. Check it out, might be up your alley. Way better access to 45 than back of woodlands...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/srPrFutvNXs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You don't want any part of the Woodlands.

You should look into Kingwood. It's everything the Woodlands used to be and the Eastex is always a breeze. I love everything about it, frankly.

12. leroy

I used to crash on some couches there in the mid-90's...

Just afraid of what the Exxon invasion is going to do to home prices if I can't get there before them. From what I can tell, it's either luxury homes, town homes, or condos. I'm not interested in any of that.

F*** Kingwood.

Sorry :grin:. That's the Woodlands kid in me. One of the primary reasons to move back is to be closer to my family. My mother drives but only within a small radius from her house in the front of The Woodlands. No way she's driving to Kingwood. I realize it's not that far, but for her it is and eliminates any hope of having her help with the kids when the need arises.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

See to me, that type of place seems terrible. But different strokes I suppose

14. Classic

Classic Member

I liked the outdoor walk to places type concept like you have in a city -especially since i work from home a lot.

You're right tho, it could suck. I'm not convinced im having kids so cookie cutter burb home may be out of the question for me.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That looks cool and would be exactly what me and the ladyfriend are looking for, but the cheapest single family homes seem to be going for well over $400,000, which is well out of our range. I didn't see any prices for the townhouses. Fooey.

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Chevron will build a 50 story tower downtown

Apache and BHP will each build a 30ish story tower in the Galleria area on Post Oak

Another new tower rumored for downtown (possibly Hines, possibly Skanska)

Anadarko building another tall skyscraper next to their existing one in The Woodlands

those are the tall ones on the horizon

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

There are several complexes being built even further out west around Mason and 10. It's already exploding out here, but when they finish 99, it's going to grow even faster.

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Anyone who doesn't think there are a **** ton of major projects going on is blind. I'd venture to guess there isn't a city in the country w more major developments occurring than houston. Office construction in particular is at an incredible level.

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

yeah the problem though is that there aren't any signature tall towers that I've seen aside from what Chevron might build, and I haven't seen any renderings for that. It's mostly a bunch of shorter stuff

20. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Hmm, trying to relocate into Kingwood from Humble soon. Tired of 1960 traffic.