1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Projects coming to Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Luckyazn, Mar 9, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

There are several projects in this thread so which one is now open?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Houston Pavillions in downtown

3. Fatty FatBastard

Y'all realize there were several projects posted by the OP. Which have been completed?

Also: Links? Pics?

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Look at the two posts above your own. ;)

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

you're out of your mind if you think any of those cities skylines are "better" than houston's. we have a very impressive skyline here with several buildings surpassing 50 storys.

NYC>Chi>Houston

and i dont even think it's debateable.

6. Fatty FatBastard

Still need links. Also, I haven't seen anything on that skyscraper. Is it still on track?

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Seattle has some pretty good architechture... add the space needle and the water, and their skyline is right up there (in fact, I think NY's is overrated... mostly gets by on reputation. Chicago is the best of everything).

8. SWTsig

and just an FYI, several projects throughout the city have been delayed/postponed/cancelled due to the bleak economic conditions.

9. droxford

droxford Member

Discovery Green is done (link)

and

Houston Pavilions is open (and almost finished with construction) (link)

10. SWTsig

NYC may get by on reputation, but the first time you drive over the washington bridge into manhattan... :eek: just the sheer quantity (and quality) is unlike any other city on earth.

i haven't been to chicago, but from everything i've seen their skyline is pretty fantastic as well.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I have been to, and driven through, Denver, many a time, and the only "amazing" part about the skyline is the mountains to the west. Not to confuse great skyline with great city, though - Denver is a really cool place, but I would never live there because of their crazy breed specific laws regarding pit bulls (but that's another subject).

Here a huge thread and poll on city data ranking skylines, though I think you'll find that pretty much everyone votes for the city they live in, but the thread itself is full of great skyline pictures.

here's a somewhat more logical approach to skyline ranking, putting Houston 20th - http://www.diserio.com/top15-skylines.html

Personally, I haven't been to every major city in the country, but I have been to a lot, and I think Houston fairly and undoubtedly ranks in tier 2 of great skylines.

Tier 1 = NY, Chicago, SF, Seattle.
    Tier 2 = Miami, Houston, Pittsburgh (never been but the pictures do look fantastic with that location), Dallas, LA
    Tier 3 = Denver, Minneapolis, Atlanta (some may rank higher, I just don't like Atlanta that much), Philadelphia (lived there for some years, you can take some pretty pictures of it, but it really isn't all that), St. Louis, Detroit, San Diego, etc.

Just my opinion

As for new projects, I know for a fact that you could have doubled the amount of cool new projects in the original post had the economy/lending market not crashed. Until lenders re-open their purse strings and terms improve again, most of those projects will be on hold.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Discovery Green is great! I really like that park.

13. MexAmercnMoose

if you guize are really interested in houston projects or just houston architecture in general go to houston architecture forum it has all of houston's projects that are under construction/proposed/planned etc..

14. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Ohhh that's why there is so much construction at beltway 8/i-10!

cool, i'm looking forward to city centre project so i can go there for lunch. :D

15. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Actually for a skyline, Hong Kong's is the best hand's down. Beats NYC anyday. HK's skyline is like 10 NYCs put together.

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Love the HK skyline from across the island on the Kowloon side. Looks awesome with all the lights.

17. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I put our skyline up their with anyone's.

NYC's is huge and thats what they have going for them. Chicago's is nice. Seattle's is really nice because of the water and the hills, but you guys said thats in the backdrop, not skyline.

I really love ours, but I agree its best from the North viewpoint.

Hong Kong's is cool. Also check out Yokohama, Japan.

Oh and I don't put LAs up there.

Also aside from Hong Kong, I have seen all these first hand.

On the original topic, I think its great to see Houston building awesome structures.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'd agree that LA isn't as good as it should be. You think NYC, Chicago, LA as the 3 major US cities, but LA's skyline has nothing on the other two, isn't even the best in it's state, etc.

BUT, given the city's sheer size, and the downtown/skyline is also quite large, plus it's easy to forget LA has some mountain vista views, too, and I see no reason how one could really argue Houston better than LA or vice-versa.

HOUSTON

[​IMG]

LOS ANGELES

[​IMG]

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

20. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member