1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New policy on flopping

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Sep 27, 2012.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Floppers should be suspended. It's so damn annoying.

2. lalala902102001

Agreed. The NBA is not European soccer. I would say after a certain number times of fines for flopping the player should be suspended for 1 game; after another certain number of confirmed floppings, suspended 2 games; etc.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

3 flops = technical foul

That's how I would do it.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

We know flopping is a problem, we know the $5,000 fine is nothing to these guys, but we don't have the stomach to suspend these guys.

You're a joke Stern!

On another issue that Stern admitted he's been unsuccessful at solving in his final year of his tenure, Stern acknowledged that the $5,000 fines for flopping were not enough to stop players from embellishing contact to get fouls called.

"The point was to do it gently, look at all the flops -- and there have been plenty -- and penalize the most egregious very gently," Stern said. "We could end that immediately if we decided to suspend players, but that might be a little bit draconian at the moment.

"It isn't enough," Stern said. "You're not going to cause somebody to stop it for $5,000 when the average player's salary is $5.5 million."

Stern also hinted at slightly more severe penalties for floppers, an issue that will be decided by the competition committee and, ultimately, the Board of Governors.

"I think we have the data," Stern said. "I don't know if we have the stomach."

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Haha. Fining Hibbert $75K for talking **** is a bit draconian to me.

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I would do *one flop* = technical foul.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He has it wrong. Instead of making the penalty less gentle, they should widen the net beyond the most egregious. Handing out many small fines will be more effective than capriciously handing out a couple of large ones. The problem with the flopping fines right now is not people watching clips and saying, 'that was a flop, the NBA is afraid to call him out.' The NBA doesn't want fans to have to endure flops. If fans can identify a flop as a flop, the NBA should be fining it.

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

Very surprised at how open Stern is now about all of this. If he feels they can end all of this nonsense by suspending guys, why not do it? Wasn't the players union already against the fines for flopping, they might be the ones holding Stern and co. back or are other parties involved that might not want to suspend player or give them really hefty fines.

Strange that they didn't want to punish every flop, just the most egregious ones and now 'found out' $5000 is not heavy enough. Not ****, Sherlock! We could've told you that before the season. Also, if he has no problem handing out a $75000 for the cursing and homo ****, why not for flopping? I seriously have less problems with what Hibbert did than Lebron or anybody else falling on the floor.

9. delta69er

delta69er Member

What about making the flopping rule the same as delay of game penalties?

2 flops=1 technical

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

if the average NBA Salary is like 4-5 million; players should be fined based on the amount that they make...a guy making 900,000 shouldnt have to pay the same amount a guy that is making 17 million...just not fair...so make the fines a percentage of the yearly salary!

# of Offenses
    1. Start the fine at 0.5% of 5 million = 25,000
    2. 1% = 50,000
    3. 1.5% plus tech = 75,000 plus tech
    4. 2% = 100,000
    5. 2% plus tech = 100,000 plus tech
    6 or more. loss of game checks and suspensions

11. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

How many flops are called each game? And how many flops are called during the game vs after the game?

I think in-game flops should be automatic technical - 2 free throws + possession again.

Post-game flops from video review, every 3 should lead to one game suspension and every one game suspension should be without pay, with the money going to a selection of charities decided by the NBA (the player can choose which one it goes to).

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The problem is exactly what Wade, Lebron and Battier are admitting, that flopping IS SO ENGRAINED into the game, that if you remove flopping then basketball might just look like a totally different sport than we're seeing now.

I say that if they're not gonna do anything about flopping, at least appease the fans and give some STIFFER penalties

Count me in amongst the ones that thought the NBA.com flopping vids would "embarrass" and shame the players more than the actual fines. That hasnt worked how I thought. Though I think thats at least a good start. But make the penalties more punitive. Maybe it wont clean it ALL up but it'll be something more than just a symbolic show.

And yes in return lessen fines on the referee criticism and post-game commentaries. Stern just admitted that the league and refs don't have the stones to handle flopping right. Therefore it means that the ref criticisms are actually VALID. Can't have it both ways like that saying "YOU can't say it, only WE CAN".

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

Wow what a freaking waste of money, what kind of bull**** study is that?? Would be funny if the end result is exactly what you expect: some flops you can ascertain with 99% certainty looking at the way and from which direction a guy is hit and what direction he falls too and how he uses his limbs when falling down. However, the rest is still a judgement call, thanks for letting us flushing your money down the toilet Mark!