1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New policy on flopping

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Sep 27, 2012.

1. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

"You could be suspended (if your name is not LeBron, Dirk, Dwight, Durant, etc...)"

2. zzpot

zzpot Member

3. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

THE REASON THE NBA HAS FINALLY DONE SOMETHING ABOUT FLOPPING....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YMY7IWVX0JA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  4. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

Chris Paul should probably just retire, he might not break even salary/fine wise.

5. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Scola on flopping "It's a good weapon defensively &amp; it has been very productive in order for me to be good on defense." <a href="http://t.co/bpkBHgC1" title="http://bit.ly/QYRU4g">bit.ly/QYRU4g</a></p>&mdash; Beckley Mason (@BeckleyMason) <a href="https://twitter.com/BeckleyMason/status/253891504190390273" data-datetime="2012-10-04T16:17:06+00:00">October 4, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    Lol...

6. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

i can't wait to hear JVG talk about the flopping policy

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

About dam time they did something this is basketball not soccer.

8. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Funny how only the players who flop are against this rule :p

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Responses from NBA personnel on the new flopping rule:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/50169/players-and-coaches-on-flops

LOL, Luis Scola is hilariously/shamelessly honest in his reaction:

[rquoter]
    Luis Scola: "It's a good weapon defensively for me and it has been very productive in order for me to be good on defense. I will try to see if I can continue to do it and then if the rules don't allow it, I will find some other way."
    [/rquoter]

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

11. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

That video is priceless, the way the guy talks about overreacting, "the flailing of the arms, spinning out of control.." haha :D Some good plays that I didn't think would be considered a flop did make it into that video. I also liked the examples of what is not considered a flop. There are still some obvious calls like charge calls (Scola, Battier) and calls when there's actually no contact whatsoever (Bosh / AK47 falling down when) that should've been used as an example. They only used the drawing the charge in a situation of a mismatch.

I also like how they showed some guys we all consider floppers like the Clippers & Wade. Chris Paul & Wade making the video come as quite a suprise because you would think they want their 'ambassadors' not to be included. Griffin could've been easily included but I'll forgive the NBA this time because of the inclusion of aforementioned players.

I'm still skeptical if they're going to fine all of these or only in situations where teams send tapes after a certain call that caused them to lose a game or something. It is promising though, would love it if it even decreases by 25%.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Hopefully the flopping fines are publicized. That will make players even more reluctant to do it.

13. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

What the policy fails to address is the advantage/disadvantage to the teams in the game for a BS flopping call and how that call contributes to the result of the game. We have seen plenty of "Clutch Flops" that have pretty much decided the outcome of a game. 1 possession is all it takes to affect a teams momentum, a swing, a comeback, or closing out a game.

With this Policy if players flop and get away with it, their team still gets the advantage while it still hurts the other team no matter how much the culprit/culprits get fined after a review. Keeping in mind the result of the game doesn't change after that review. Also, $50k fines are nothing for someone who is making 6-7 figures per season.

Flops must be called in the game so the result can be decided on basketball skills and not acting skills (as per Sterns words). Stern needs to be stern on this policy.

14. Remix

Remix Member

http://www.nba.com/official/

I love how they are publicly giving warnings to specific players and including a video of the flop. Being called out for everyone to see is priceless. Good job for once NBA.

15. Rox11

Rox11 Member

A crazy thought just came to me about this rule. If you are given the flop in game and then charged later, then who is to say that some players deep in the playoffs wont take one for the team, commit a flop and get charged for it as long as they win...

16. trowa

trowa Member

prop to scola for being honest

17. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4VX2tAFPU88" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I saw about three flops in the NY/BK game last night. I doubt that we will see warnings for those flops from Tyson Chandler and Deron Williams. Also I doubt we will see a warning for LeBron James.

The new flopping policies are a farce and it is really dissapointing.

19. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

how long till a "superstar" get's called out? For some reason it seems the league only thinks scrubs flop when the stars are the main culprit.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The NBA announces flopping policy for the playoffs. No warnings; $5K for first offense; $10K for second; $15K for third; $30K for fourth.</p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/324947172300816385">April 18, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Five or more flops will invoke discipline that is "reasonable under the circumstances," league says, including fine and/or suspension.</p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/324947465923072000">April 18, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>