1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[New Ownership] What characteristics are important to you?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by today, Jul 17, 2017.

?

What characteristics would you like the new ownership to have? Choose your top 3.

Poll closed Jul 24, 2017.
  1. Hands-ON approach to basketball decisions

1.9%
  2. Hands-OFF approach to basketball decisions

48.8%
  3. Willingness to spend money (buying draft picks, paying tax, etc)

85.0%
  4. Loyalty to current management

54.4%
  5. Loyalty to the city of Houston

61.3%
  6. Loyalty to the Houston Rockets "Family" History

13.8%
  7. Individual Owner

6.9%
  8. Ownership Group

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Ownership Group - With Famous People involved

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Ownership Group - With Houston Athletes involved

3.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

someones all over the place

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Yeah, it was just painful to see how empty the place was. That's the reason why I said on the 1st page of this thread that something has to be done about the lower bowl. I can't recall any other playoff team dealing with an arena that empty at the tip, and our season was on the line!

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

lmao ok. good job not answering the question. i'll help. other teams didnt show as many empty seats on national television because other teams didnt have as many empty seats.

4. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

With all due respect I am am far more loyal to this franchise than you. I will remain a loyal fan forever.
    Now if the Rockets were to move out of Houston, I doubt you will stay a fan.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Honestly, the best thing I can say is that if he's like Les, I'm cool with it. When Les first took over the team and started firing everybody and their mother, I thought the Rockets and the fans were screwed, but in the end, his reign was pretty damn good. That's from the outside looking in, anyway. I'm sure the opinions on the inside may vary. lol.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hell no
    Houston Rockets
    Respect the Houston part

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Houston Rockets represent Houston first
    Like the Los Angeles lakers represent Los Angeles
    You can be a fan of any team but people need to realize they represent the community

Especially the Rockets when they drafted university of Houston player Akeem Olajuwon

And he led the rockets to two championships which we call clutch city
    Which is why this place was created
    And why it is called Clutchfans

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

You don't know what the definition of being a loyal Houston Rockets fan is
    @heypartner @Clutch @DaDakota
    @tycoonchip @Jeff @PhiSlammaJamma @Ziggy
    It's going to training camp in Austin to interview Charles Barkley and Hakeem because other dudes who joined your site love the Rockets
    It's about posting every time you think about the Rockets
    It's about taking time off work just for the playoffs

I'll tell you who defines loyalty to the Houston Rockets
    The ones who understood the importance of Clutch City is to the city of Houston and to the entire human race.

We, the 1999ers are the greatest Rockets fans on Earth and will not stand to see the Rockets leave.
    you can watch every game, but if you don't understand Clutch City and have the DNA of Clutch City in your blood, you will never be a pure Rockets fan

#88 tinman, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  9. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Look, I respect the 99ers. You are all very wise and really know your Rockets history, especially you Tinman... but I think it is quite elitist to just say the only real fans are the 99ers? Really?
    In 99, I was a 14 year old who's parents' couldn't afford internet. Are you going to penalize rockets fans who didn't have access to CF back then?

Also, I get your argument re: Houston community, etc. I may have been harsh in saying the real fans are not from Houston who "choose" the Rockets. The Rockets are what they are today, in part of being a Houston franchise. And since Hakeem went to UH, it makes sense that we attribute Hakeem's loyalty to us due to our Houston team.

That-being-said, I will continue to be a fan of this franchise even if it ever moves. I'm sure every international fan shares the same sentiment as me.
    Americans don't understand the strange position the international fans are in. Especially, coming from a country (Australia) where basketball is not a priority sport (most sports fans here are watching Rugby, Australia Football or Cricket).
    I think it's very unfair to say international rockets fans aren't real fans because they don't attend every game or watch training camp or anything like that. It is just geographically impossible.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

International fans are real fans. Wanting the team to move is disrespectful to the fans of the community that it belongs to.
    The Rockets have been in Houston for a very long time and have established strong ties to the city and fans.

You kind of rubbed the Houston fans the wrong way because Houston fans have seen their team move (NFL's Oilers) and had threats of moving (Les Alexander almost moved the Rockets to Kentucky), so it's a sensitive issue. And the Rockets were the first to win the city's major sports championship.

11. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

HELL NO.

it's about the city first and foremost for me. That's how I developed a loyalty to the rockets to begin with. Basketball is my favorite sport and I grew up in Houston so it was natural to develop a connection with the Rockets.

Why would I choose the Rockets if they weren't from my city? Without having a city to be loyal to, an NBA fan is usually some lame player only fan who follows a player like jeremy lin around. Either that or they bandwagon the best team at the time like the GSW bandwagon or the MIA bandwagon before.

You can be a fake bandwagon fan like @ItsMyFault if you want. He doesn't care about the city. He plays the field between chicago and houston. Still think he should be on a bulls forum with his cubs fan lookin' ass. Prolly won't be a Cubs fan when they aren't the defending champs anymore

tinman likes this.
  12. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

As I said, it's a different situation for an international fan. Don't lump me in with player only fans. I stayed a loyal fan to the rockets during the Francis/Mobley years, and also the 9th seed years.

I get that you're a fan because you grew up with this team. Might I assume your family are fans too? I get it now. To be honest, since I'm not American I had no idea how insulting my comments were. I don't have those ties to Houston, or to the USA at all so it's not like I'm a fan of Houston and disrespecting my own American city that I come from, because my hometown of Sydney is not represented in the NBA.

For us international fans, you'll find the player-only and bandwagon fans you mentioned, but instead of a loyal fan of the city, you'll find a loyal fan of the "franchise". That's where I sit. Maybe I started as a payer only fan because I loved Hakeem. I started watching the NBA in 94 (before we won the title). I was 9 years old at the time.

13. alethios

alethios Member

A strong desire to shrink the outfits of the Rockets Power Dancers and halt the urbanization of the Toyota Center.

Other than that, stay in Houston and win chips.

dakeem1 and chievous minniefield like this.
  14. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

heard, Motumbo is putting up a gourp of people to try to buy the rockets would be nice to see that, Man i love mutumbo!