1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Orleans Lands 2013 Super Bowl

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, May 20, 2009.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

GGGRRRRRrrrrrr - It needs to comeback to Houston

Rocket River

http://www.wdsu.com/sports/19497791/detail.html

New Orleans Lands 2013 Super Bowl
    NFL Championship Game To Return To Louisiana Superdome
    POSTED: 6:43 pm CDT May 18, 2009
    UPDATED: 6:49 pm CDT May 19, 2009

FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Football's biggest game is returning to New Orleans. The league has announced that the 2013 Super Bowl will be played at the Louisiana Superdome.

Video | Click To Comment

NewsChannel 6 sports anchor Keli Fulton reported the decision from Ft. Lauderdale, where the NFL is holding its spring meeting.

New Orleans beat out rival bids from suburban Phoenix and South Florida to secure the game. It will be the first time the NFL championship contest is played in New Orleans since 2002 and the 10th time overall.

Super Bowl XXXVI was the most recent NFL championship game held in New Orleans.

Though the city has successfully hosted major sporting events like the BCS Championship Game and the NBA All-Star Game in recent years, landing the Super Bowl on the heels of the 2012 NCAA Final Four puts the community back in elite status. New Orleans will also serve as host city for the 2013 NCAA Women's Final Four.

Saints owner Tom Benson had expressed confidence the New Orleans bid would be successful earlier in the day. He called the announcement a victory for the entire community.

“This is a great accomplishment for New Orleans, and the significance of bringing the Super Bowl to our city and region can’t be overstated,” Benson said. “From every perspective, this shows that our city is on the rise, viable and thriving, and I have great faith in what we can accomplish and the impact it will have, starting today.

"This is my hometown, and maybe we don’t need to talk about New Orleans being on the way back anymore. New Orleans is back, and today is proof.”

The value of the exposure provided to a Super Bowl host city is hard to measure, but experts say the direct economic impact is more tangible. Analysts believe the 2009 game in Tampa delivered $200-300 million to the community.

The state of Louisiana, however, has to spend some money of its own to finalize the deal.

A few weeks ago, the state and the New Orleans Saints announced a lease extension through 2025 that, if approved by the state Legislature, will include $85 million in upgrades to the Superdome in time for the 2013 game.

Fans celebrate on Bourbon Street during Super Bowl week in 2002.

"In a lot of ways, we're providing a new stadium with the advantages of the old stadium," Saints vice president Ben Hales said.

The agreement was considered essential to a successful Super Bowl bid.

And while New Orleans was considered the odds-on favorite, those backing the effort were not taking anything for granted.

The league has shown its willingness to return to South Florida by holding the 2006 and 2010 games there; no other area has had such frequent hosting duties since Miami in 1995 and 1999. The Phoenix area was praised for its work for the 2008 game in which the New York Giants spoiled New England's perfect season.

Greater New Orleans Sports Foundation

The Greater New Orleans Sports Foundation coordinated the bid and submitted its revised proposal to the league and its owners in early May. The group met in private session on Monday and made its final pitch to the NFL -- a 15-minute presentation -- just hours before the announcement Tuesday afternoon regarding the winning bid.

Entergy CEO Rod West and Convention and Visitors Bureau CEO Stephen Perry were selected to make Tuesday's presentation.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Houston ain't getting a superbowl any time soon.

They just need to pick a place and leave it there.

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I bet the next time the Super Bowl comes to Texas (after Jerry World's first for being a new stadium), it will in Arlington.

4. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

already scheduled for 2011

5. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

world is going to end in 2012 so whatever :p

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I can already see the SOB stories this will have... "After Katrina blah blah" [cue the devastated dome video]... :("...

Jam that crap down our throats. Maybe they will have KANYE WEST singin' for full ironic effect. :p

7. TheBigAristotle

Hmm. Why isn't New Orleans underwater yet?

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Word...

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

City ravaged by major hurricane - check
    Millions of people displaced without food, water, or power for long periods of time - check
    Billions of dollars worth of damage done to city and surrounding areas - check
    Countless number of sensational photos from CNN and other major news companies peddled around on tv - check
    Stadium for major sports team takes major damage and forces team to play elsewhere - check

Wait, did I just describe New Orleans or Houston? When's our Super Bowl to prove that "we're back"?

10. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

New Orleans is kinda dirty... jmo

11. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I don't understand the appeal of having a superbowl there? I mean I understand it has a lot of partying and stuff like that but it's pretty dirty in my opinion.

Been there numerous times and just not all that in my opinion.

12. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

totally agree. i think the stadium is garbage too

13. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Enough already w/ this crap.

That city must have hosted more super bowls than any other city. (I don't feel like doing the research so if I'm wrong prove it).

Bring it back to Htown.
    or at least give STL one super bowl.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think he meant after that initial obligatory "you built a new stadium so you get a Super Bowl" game, the next time they come to Texas they will go back to Arlington instead of Houston.

15. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

So Houston has hosted 2 and New Orleans has hosted 10(soon to be 10th)

NO is 1/10th the size of Houston yet NO has had 5 times the super bowls...Sheesh...what a crock.

...All major sports are rigged.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Miami, New Orleans - 9
    LA - 7
    Tampa - 4
    San Diego - 3
    Houston, Detroit, Atlanta, Phoenix - 2
    Minneapolis, Jacksonville, San Francisco - 1

The next 4 are in Miami, Arlington, Indianapolis, and New Orleans. So Miami and New Orleans will each have hosted 10 at that point.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Why do I have the feeling that Houston has hosted it's last Superbowl...

18. tulexan

tulexan Member

NOLA has a great set up for the Super Bowl because everything is centrally located. You can walk to everything.