1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Orleans fires Monty Williams

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RasaqBoi, May 12, 2015.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

Wouldn't mind him as an assistant coach.

When I see Lawrence Frank and Mike Woodsen on the Clipper's coaching bench, then I see our assistant coaches, I just feel bad.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I was actually surprised that Frank didn't end up on the Rockets bench considering the respect Morey has expressed for him.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If Pels do pursue Tom Thibodeau, they'll be at front of the line to pry him from Bulls. No one else offers chance to coach an Anthony Davis</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/598189884801560576">May 12, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Eternal question in CHI remains: What will Bulls seek as compensation for last two years on Thibs deal? Or can they hash out mutual parting?</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/598190368660672513">May 12, 2015</a></blockquote>

Seems like they are firing Monty to pursue Thibs. If they fail to get him, this could be a mistake. But I suppose, some other HOF coach will step up; albeit, none ever coached Lebron, for whatever reason.

4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

^^this^^

I did a little work with him when he was still an assistant in Portland. He was a very nice guy and we talked about doing some work in the summer after the season was over. He gave me his personal cell # and email, but I never called him because he was offered the N'awlins Head coaching job and I knew he'd be way too busy.

5. Buck Turgidson

They'd probably make him spell it correctly, though.

6. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Why not, He was great for Portland

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Wow. I thought his job was secure after making the playoffs. Is this because of the Game 3 choke job? I wish Les was hungry enough for a title to demand more from his head coach.

BTW, I hope to God they don't get Thibs to replace Monty. The last thing we need in this division is him coaching the Pelicans given how tough the other 3 teams already are.

8. hakeemthagreat

Great move? Yea um, ok. That team had crazy injuries and still managed to make the postseason for the first time. Terrible move. Teams start off sucking, hire an up & coming coach to grow with, then fire his azz when the team stops sucking. I hope the Pelicans start sucking again

9. what

what Member

Hiring tibs would be a monumental mistake. Pels don't need defense they need a guy that can instill an offense and a smart guy.

Tibs screwed up everything in Chicago.

They need an XOs guy. Hell, if I were the Pels, I'd go after Scott Brooks. Maybe even John Calipari. Anybody buts tibs.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, but if the team improves, he'll be happy.

Look at Steph Curry, who loved Jackson but is now praising Kerr.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

Thibs would run Davis to the ground. Please no Thibs.

12. Asian Sensation

Thibodaux time.

13. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/Montel_Williams">@Montel_Williams</a> no he isn't.</p>&mdash; Charlie Friderici (@CharlieFrid) <a href="https://twitter.com/CharlieFrid/status/598214140038098944">May 12, 2015</a></blockquote>

14. alethios

alethios Member

Just shows a lack of loyalty on the Pels part. They did state Williams job was secure if he made the playoffs, yet they pull the rug out from under him anyway. Shame for him, but I think he'll land an assistant job or HC job somewhere.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Haven't Spurs fans been saying for a while, that Spurs are interested in Monty. Imagine that backlash if Pels fail to get a Top Tier and Spurs sign him as Pops eventual replacement.

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Breh, are you high in the middle of the workday?
    Since when is Scott Brooks an X's and O's guy???

17. ferrari77

Plus all one has to do is read the SI article about Ryan Anderson's situation with his late GF and it describes the kind of standup person Monty is. How he helped Anderson during that situation. You'd figure every coach would do the same but I doubt it. Some like Pop or maybe even McHale would. Some others, maybe not.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Stephen A not gonna like this.

He was whining about racism earlier with Hollins being fired (although he was hired by the nets...) and will be doing so tomorrow. Don't worry.

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

At least he'd get the ball to Anthony Davis more. I was sick and and tired of watching Monty feed him the scraps of the offense.

Plus if the pels want Davis to win an MVP any time soon, Brooks has the experience to groom him to take the next steps.

20. ferrari77

If getting the ball to Anthony Davis more is the criteria then I'm sure the Pels don't need to pay more than $30k to anyone in order to find someone that will demand that. Scott Brooks isn't going to be the one on the floor to make Tyreke or Eric Gordon pass to Anthony Davis.
    Brooks wasn't exactly devising great ways to get the ball to Kevin Durant. Or to make his team more efficient.

Not like it matters anyway since all the rumors are Thibs to New Orleans.