1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Mural Unveiled, "We Are All Trayvon"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobmarley, Aug 11, 2013.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What does it distribute? To whom?

Like Hispanic George Zimmerman?

2. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Meant to type disturbing.

I know he was Hispanic. My grandmother doesn't like black people. I'm not ashamed to say it...there are several racist Hispanics. What is your point?

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

My point is that you should not only prepare your kids to be in a potential victim role. You should also, and I am sure you already do that, raise your kids to not discriminate others based on race. It's interesting that although your kids are the same race as the person you claim acted as the racist here and aren't the same race as the victim, you only see them as the potential victim, not as the potential person who discriminates.

4. Felixthecat

Of course I teach them not to discriminate. You're putting words in my mouth now. I don't show my kids pictures of any group of people and tell them these people are going to discriminate against you because of how you look. I tell them that discrimination and racism is wrong and unfortunately there might be a day when they will have to deal with it from someone in some sort.

I don't tell them so that they act like victims. I tell them, so they are prepared. I don't see anything wrong with that.

5. bucket

bucket Member

If I'm not mistaken, some states' (like Florida's) laws have a lower burden of proof for self-defense claims. The prosecution basically has to disprove it. Contrary to what bobmarley says, Zimmerman may have acted in self-defense, but we'll never really know; the court didn't need to establish it definitively.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...e_why_it_was_too_easy_for_him_to_get_off.html

6. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I'm a parent too and I feel like if my teenage son was out in the rain and hanging around people's houses and was confronted by someone, that they would have the intelligence and self control to respond to the person respectfully and not pummel the person to the ground. If my son did that and was shot because of it, I would feel sad yes, but I would not think he was the victim.

7. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

This.

8. Nook

Nook Member

This won't get us anywhere, this highlights the fundamental difference. Many people do not believe that Martin was pummeling Zimmerman. This is a case where people let their own biases and experiences color their view of how the confrontation occurred.

9. Felixthecat

Yeah if you say so. I bet you would be ok with the character assassination and would be 100% ok with the fact that your childs side of the story would never be heard.

10. Felixthecat

Another point is GZ had chances to identify himself while he had dispatch on the phone but he didn't. Even when he was in his car and TM approached his car he could have said he was neighborhood watch and that he was on the phone with the police who were on their way.

Not sure how any parent can be ok with such poor decision making by an adult.

But I guess its easier to just blame the dead defenseless teen. He was just going to be some criminal anyway, right?

11. Nook

Nook Member

Many things could have been differently. Martin could have called the police if he was really concerned. Zimmerman could have simply called the police as well. Both parties involved showed very poor judgment.

12. Felixthecat

I agree. But only one could be held more accountable as and adult and we will also never hear Trayvons story. I'm not arguing the outcome of the verdict, it is what it is. I'm just against all the hate towards a teen who has already paid for whatever mistakes he had made with his life.

13. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Ok my bad. I just you were trying to bump his age. And I agree no teenager needs to be compared to Dr. King. That is my biggest problem with the picture.

Its really sad what happen to TM it really is. I have a brother around his age and I cannot imagine life without him, so I get the pain from some people. But I think is is really disrespectful for some people to put TM tragedy on the same level as what any black leader when through in those days of age.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What the hell? That is not a mural. Murals are painted on walls. They don't get wheeled around. And they don't go on national tours. Also, it is not 100 feet. It is perhaps 100 square feet.

And finally, the painting is dumb. Obviously propagandistic. And, takes liberties with the truth even as reasonable Martin supporters would see it. Needlessly inflammatory. No subtlety, and very trite. Probably will get the artist sued for defamation (or slander or libel, whichever one it is).

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Are you going to tell your kids to confront who they think might be dangerous and/or committing a crime?

16. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

It's certainly his right to paint whatever he wants, but he is not free from criticism. He did not choose to "portray the situation as it was loosely determined in a court of law," he chose to display it in a way that displayed Zimmerman as a cold blooded murderer, which was proven in court to not be true. There is a very key difference in the actual circumstances and what is displayed in this poster, Martin was not shot in the back. This poster is an extension of the radical agenda of the left-wing press, to declare Martin a martyr in the struggle for racial equality, even if this case had nothing to do with race, AS proven by the FBI.

17. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

He didn't say confront them, he said don't hit them.

18. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Pointing out what he COULD have done does nothing. He didn't break any laws, he chose to get out of his car, maybe he even chose to follow him, nothing he did was illegal. Poor judgement resulting in death is not Murder, the prosecution swung for the fences and whiffed.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

To be honest, it reminded me of this painting:

[​IMG]

Seriously, I can't believe you people are still arguing about this case.

20. Felixthecat

I didn't say anything GZ did was illegal.