1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Jersey very interested in Ron Artest?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Egghead, Feb 10, 2009.

1. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Last time I checked, we were #14 in offensive efficiency and #5 in defensive efficiency.

If I can trade a guy averaging 16 points on 37% shooting for a guy averaging 20 on 45% shooting... you make that deal every day.

The question is... Tmac or Artest. Artest is more tradable because his contract expires this year, its smaller (so we could throw in filler and thus make the deal more desireable to NJ). And it also has the advantage of being more financially flexable. If we make this deal (say Artest and random role players on short/small deals), and it doesn't work. We'll still have Tmac coming off the books in 2010 and can still try and rebuild on the fly. On the other hand, you trade Tmac for VC and filler and if that doesn't pan out we don't have a backup 2010 plan.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

would rather have Ron than VC and his contract/deteriorating skills

3. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

Exactly. Morey has not shown us signs of doing something so dumb. I personally do not want VC on this team. Our Defense is lagging behind as it is, can anyone imagine what our team will look like defensively if we get Vince? It makes absolutley no sense to trade Ron for VC.

4. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

Forget Carter. We don't need him.

Trade Artest for Devin Harris.

Salaries are very workable too. $8.4M for Ron, $7.8M for Harris.

Both are free agents after the year.

Then we could turn around and find a new home for Rafer & Luther to gain some muscle to replace Artest! :D

5. bigthree08

bigthree08 Member

lol the throwback cnnsi website
    way to use stuff from 10yrs ago.. that's your era i guess i don't blame you
    awesome find

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT9pb5csPLw <-- more of our era

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

not going to work

we already have a guy who wears #15

his name is Joey Dorsey!

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

The point is VC won't help our defensive woes. The guy is a terrible team and individual defender. Defense is an afterthought to him.

And we have enough players that like chucking the ball, just add another that likes to shoot with no conscience.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Holy ****.

tybrave was right.

:eek:

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You make that trade even when the guy you're bringing in is owed 33+ million over the next two years? It's all sugar and dreamsicles in our world, but lest you forget, our GM is a stat geek who crunches not only stats but also contract #s and our owner is on the extreme side of frugal especially in today's economy.

As for your question, it isn't even a question. No one is touching McGrady's contract this year.

10. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CsZ4Lax-vS8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CsZ4Lax-vS8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

/thread

You can't top that.

12. rocketsmetalspd

I am tired of 2010 crap. The Rockets need to sign Yao in 2010 his contract is up also. I don't believe Wade will leave Miami, James will stay in Cleveland or land in New York. Screw 2010 play for this season damn it. TMac is not going to get any better this season and why put up with his drama next season also?

13. bigthree08

bigthree08 Member

VC is no AI
    he does not chuck
    at this stage of his career, i don't see a problem of him fitting in

14. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Could we throw in TSlack and get Harris? :)

15. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

Les is going after Yi!

16. bigthree08

bigthree08 Member

we're not trading tofu
    sorry

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I like it. Carter can actually score buckets with consistency unlike Artest and currently, T-Mac. Plus, playing with his cousin should make Mac happy and in turn, his game should get better. Mine as well make the most of T-Mac until 2010. Let's say it doesn't work, we can still trade T-Mac in the offseason. By that time, we can get better deals than a T-Mac for Vince.

Yes his contract is big, one more year than Mac. But if the Rockets truly want to win now, they make this deal. Mac, Yao and Artest has yet to work, why not try out Carter, Yao and Mac?

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Because no one is going within 200 miles of his contract this year? Next year, it's a whole different story with teams trying to get all the expirings they can get.

I agree with you in that 2010 is a mirage for most fans. The chances of any team not in a big market landing a Wade or a LeBron or even a Bosh is slim. BUT the thing is you shouldn't just try to have cap flexibility to sign any of those guys, but just to have flexibility PERIOD. Hell, we're still paying Jackie Butler. Having flexibility down the road is going to be a must if/when Yao decides "F*** this, I'm leaving Houston" after the 2010/11 season.

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

haha awesome!

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Sure if you like status quo to going backwards after the trade. I'd rather try moving forward and improve in a trade, this won't do it.