1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Jersey very interested in Ron Artest?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Egghead, Feb 10, 2009.

1. God's Son

God's Son Member

this would be a dumbass move. carter makes too much money and is as injury prone and soft mentally as tmac though not as talented

i would not trade artest for carter unless its a multi player deal and we are picking up devin harris in the deal too, which i dont see happening so this rumor is bunk

2. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

There ain't nothing or no one except the Good Lord Himself that can light a fire under him. NO ONE.

3. bigthree08

bigthree08 Member

artest is a bull
    but honestly, does he create anything when he has the ball other than shooting a fallaway or bullies his way into the paint?
    vc is a volumn shooter but can create and attack the gap.. something that this team lacks outside of mcgrady (a healthy mcgrady)

4. bigthree08

bigthree08 Member

by then yao will be 30 and will his legs hold up?
    win now please

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Carter is not injury prone. He's played basically every game this season, 76 last season, and 82 before that. His numbers have stayed consistent, and IMO he's one of the more vastly underrated players in the game. People keep thinking he's completely done cause of his age and the fact that he plays for New Jersey, but he's still there.

6. Ismail

Ismail Member

I am not sure I'd want to give Artest's defense up for another ball-stopper who has no regrets of chucking as much as Artest does. Granted Carter makes more, but some time that % will catch up with him. If there is a problem between McGrady-Artest, then we should get rid of Artest for a legitimate help to our inside-out game. Carter will be filling a void that McGrady needs to fill, and Carter fills that void, we sacrifice defense and have 3 players that demand the ball consistently. I don't know if I like it, but if Morey is on board, so am I.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Offense is not our problem, it's defense.

VC won't have alot of big shots to make at the end of games if we keep getting behind by 20 to crap teams. And last time I checked VC isn't one to be mistaken for a defensive stopper.

8. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

McGrady can play offiense?

So what?

What has anyone done lately?

The team went on to win 22 last yr, without Ron. They also pushed Utah to 6 games, 7 the year before. Without Ron. But Ron comes in, and now we want to send one of the others out? What kind of sense does that make?

9. jae713

jae713 Member

Pull the trigger Morey. Carter attacks the basket, doesn't shoot horrible, and is better in the iso than Artest.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

People keep saying that our offense would be better with Vince Carter. Last time I checked, we had no problems scoring. It's keeping the other team from hanging 124 points on us that's the problem. If the Rockets want to trade Artest, that's fine with me as long as it's someone that gives a damn on defense. I thought Artest would be that guy before the season started but of course he made me look stupid in believing that.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This would run contrary to everything Daryl Morey stands for. I'm calling BS on Broussard.

Time and time again Morey has emphasized acquiring not just talent but talent proportional to contract value. Why on earth would we acquire an aging SG with a mammoth contract and many years left on his deal? This would cripple our team for years to come, on par with the Shaq and Kidd trades.

Either this team works the way it is or we start over. The Astros would be the first to tell you that trying to slow down the rebuilding process only prolongs your run of mediocrity and does nothing to enhance your chances of actually mattering in the playoffs.

12. bigthree08

bigthree08 Member

who was a real defensive stopper from last year's team? and van gundy's team in 06?
    so we got ron artest and his tenacious D, did it make us a better defensive team this year?
    its about team defensive, not individuals

13. 1individual

1individual Member

I wouldn't mind getting Carter in here, they would have a good relationship, t-mac and carter. Additionally, Carter has a few buzzer beaters this season which we lacked all season. But what about PG position? If we had a good PG we would remove half our problems.

14. Summer Song Giver

Luther, Rafer and Artest for VC
    and
    Battier and Hayes for Hinrich

Hinrich, Brooks, Barry
    Mac, Wafer, VC, Barry
    VC, Wafer, Mac
    Scola, Landry, Dorsey
    Yao, Deke

15. bigthree08

bigthree08 Member

damn that's the only downside
    vc has an ugly contract

16. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Good idea

17. rocketsmetalspd

Such a deal would suck and I will not root for the Rockets until TMac is gone. TMac has ruined the Rockets. He should be gone not Ron. This will be huge mistake by the Rockets just like the Pippen deal and Barkley deal.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

oh really? a good relationship?
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/news/2001/03/07/sayitaintso_raptors/

But McGrady blew off the Raptors, then blew them away by making it sound as if he was escaping a system that had held him down all these years and kept him hidden in the shadow of Vince Carter ... who, by the way, just happens to be his cousin. His mother even ripped Carter in a magazine article, worsening an already growing feud.

For their part, the Raptors felt McGrady had misled them into believing they had a shot at re-signing him. They already had gambled on him once, drafting the 18-year-old high schooler in 1997 even though they were heading into just their third season. By hedging on his loyalty three years later, Raptors GM Glen Grunwald probably passed on trade offers that would have netted more than a conditional first-round pick.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Barkley deal got us to the WCF.
    Lay off Chuck, he played his butt off.

The Pippen deal, well, that sealed our doom.

20. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

If you think the Artest experiment should already be over so quickly, what about the Tmac & Yao experiment?