1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New IPhone to have a 4.6-inch display

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Amel, Mar 22, 2012.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I like Gizmodo, but not a single one of those reasons stands on strong ground. The idea that they couldn't keep Retina display at 4.6 in when they've gone to it on the iPad is dubious at best.
    The other reasons all boil down to: iPhone is fine as it is, and Jobs liked it, so why change?

Apple dragged their feet on screen size and 4G for a simple reason - they are nutcases about superior battery life and did not want to compromise it due to those features.

And the phones wouldn't need to get all that larger. There's a lot of dead space on them as it is, with a 3.5 in (diag) screen on a 5 in (diag, 4.5 in tall) device.
    [​IMG]

Versus say, the Droid Bionic, with a 4.3 in display on a 5.6 (5.0 tall) device

[​IMG]

I'd also say Apple is probably feeling some pressure to trot out an iPhone that doesn't look exactly like the first one at a glance. Every year they don't, it invites a louder chorus of snickers from folks joking about how they're getting people to keep on buying the same thing every year.

2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

My guess is if the make a bigger phone, it won’t be to accommodate consumer demand, but rather to accommodate a big enough battery to make LTE feasible.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

4.6" wouldn't be too bad but I think the perfect size for a phone is 4.3". For me, I honestly don't mind a big phone... my current phone is 5.3" and I love it but if I was designing a phone, my ideal size would be 4.3"

Seems like rumors always come out with Apple though and then they don't turn out to be true these days so until it's actually announced, I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

4. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

my guess is, yes, they will go with a bigger screen, but it's probably going to be 4 inches and stay that way for quite some time...

My guess would be
    - finally LTE 4G
    - 4 inch display, with some kind of retina pixel increase

these two will be the main selling points

- camera will stay the same MP, but possible increase in light etc
    - possibly a small increase in power 1ghz to 1.3ghz?
    - increase in ram from 512 to 756..

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

it will be another set of incremental changes.

LTE is expected now. Good luck explaining if it doesn't.

The screen is another good idea to make people keep buying iPhones. I am sure at this point they are going through people's wish lists and saying..hmm what are they still waiting for? let's implement them one at a time.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's amazing how a 4.5 inch screen felt so huge and awkward in my hands (and I'm a big dude, too), but now after 5-6 months... it feels normal.

#26 DonnyMost, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It's funny. I start a 2012 Cell Phones thread, talking mostly about the newer Android phones coming out, and then this thread pops up. Guess I didn't mention the iPhone 5 enough in that thread.

Oh well, Apple sucks anyways. I agree with the person that talked about minor changes being gobbled up by the masses. If Apple doesn't start stepping up to the plate, I think the Android companies are going to all be outdoing them.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I had forgotten that thread. I guess this could be merged with it, if the mods wanted to. Have to add, though, that saying "Apple sucks anyways" doesn't lend itself to having an open-minded discussion about cell phones. Heck, there should probably be an "Apple" thread and an "Android" thread. I'm not wedded to either one. I simply like what works best for me, and so far, it's been Apple cell phones and Apple tablets (that last is something I just did... I don't count the Nook I use to read novels on vacation, or when eating lunch by myself). I have a desktop PC and Windows laptops, the PC because I think you can have a more powerful gaming rig than what Apple offers you. If Apple steps up to that plate and hits a homerun, I'll consider switching. So far, they haven't. As i said, I like what works best for me.

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

That's usually it between Android and Apple. It's all about preference. None is better than the other. Whichever one fits better for you is what you go with.

1 person likes this.
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yeh don't say?

[​IMG]

11. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I find the current size of the iphone to be perfect. I love my 4. I'm hoping to get almost 4 years out of it like I did my first gen iphone.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

What's an anyways?

#32 Xerobull, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sounds like what happened to the Mac, PC's passed them by...

DD

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

That's what SHE <s>said</s> manufactured! :grin:

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don't think a single person has mentioned that apple may also bring the screen to the edge (at least more to the edge) of the phone. Meaning that the phone may not have to be all that much bigger to get a larger screen. It's very possible. It would also look much different, apple likes to try and make statements.

16. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I don't see them moving all the way to 4.6, but maybe 4 or 4.3

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Do they really have a history of "making statements" from a design perspective, though?

I'm really curious. I'm not trying to be a jerk. It just seems to me that all the iPhones and iPads and for a while, the iPods look the same.

18. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

My razor is big enough.

19. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

nope, think it was written in a couple articles and in jobs bio (i think) he was the reason the ipods/iphones have never changed size/design. he didn't want phones/ipods to be fragmented. wanted everything uniform.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member