1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Ideas for All Star Weekend

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by codell, Oct 7, 2002.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

A buddy of mine and I got into a "spirited" conversation yesterday about how lame all star weekend has become so we came up with some new ideas for All Star Saturday. Keep in mind, these of course are "tongue in cheek" suggestions and I hope everyone else will submit their own suggestions and have fun with it!

I think instead of the rookie game, 2-ball or whatever that debacle was last year where our team was Moses, Tina, Cuttino and Jamie Fox, we should have the "All 12th Man Garbage Time Game" sponsered, of course, by Hefty. Honorary coaches could be Tim Kempton, Richard Petruska, Randy Bruer or my personal choice, Chuck Nevitt. One of the main stipulations of the game would be all players have to play with full warmups on (since we all know that any legitimate 12th man never actually wears a uniform underneath his warmups. haha

I think another good suggestion would be instead of the slam dunk contest, have games of H-O-R-S-E. Actually this is a legitimate idea. Who wouldnt pay to see Michael Jordan (maybe in his younger days) vs. Kobe Bryant in a game of HORSE. What shots could they come up with? WOW.

Anyway, hope yall have fun with this as I have.

2. The Fever

The Fever Member

Does this have anything to do with the Rockets?

Please move the thread...

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

That's pretty lame. I have to admit that 2-ball does suck but I like the rookie game.

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Looks like the wrong forum but maybe this will tie it together.

I personally like the Rookie game. If the Asian population doesn't stuff the ballot box and Yao is not a WC center, then how about Yao and Boki both starting for the NBA freshmen team?

5. codell

Id have to agree, as far as keeping the rookie game. I think Yao will be in there but if Nachbar cant find any PT, he might be a long shot. I do like the rookie game. But I think the Slam Dunk contest has become tiresome (whats with all the washed up NBA players acting as judges on something that they could never do, dunk! (with the exception of Dr. J). How about a juding panel of Terrence Stansbury, Dominique Wilkins, Dr. J., Spudd Webb and Clyde Drexler? Plus, players are running out of ideas for dunks and I hate the fact that there are never Rockets in the contest, besides K. Smith who never really had a chance. I think the 3 point shootout is also getting old. To me, nothing can top Larry Bird's win in Chicago on the last shot. I think this contest glorified whats wrong with the NBA, and sometime the Rockets in years past, and this is too many jacked up 3 pointers. It would be nice to see more younger players with mid range and post up skills. Its nice to hear that Eddie Griffin is working on this inside game. I think he could be quite productive as a post player.

6. codell

Oops I forgot about Stevie F. Although, with that silly format they had last year, he didnt have a chance. Why did they take away a player's creativity. BTW, he was robbed when Vincanity won a few years back!

7. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

I would love to watch the NBA Players play 1 on 1. Or how about something similar to 'And-1' where players can show off their dribbling skills that is rarely displayed in an NBA Game...

8. Truth

Truth Member

Do you watch the All-Star game? They don't call traveling or carrying it's all legal.

9. codell

Isnt playing defense in an All-Star game illegal also? haha

10. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Rookie game stays...

Hopefully, the WNBA will go out of business so we don't have to watch them taint the NBA all star game...

How about a mascot slam dunk contest? Turbo would roll...

Maybe a 2 on 2 pick up tournament, where each team has one NBA player and one fan. Fans could send in taps of themselves playing basketball, then the NBA could hold tryouts to see who gets to play during all star weekend. The fans can win prize money depending on how many points they score and how well their team does.

11. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I think they should have three on three torunaments...with some of the teams made up of NBA players, and some of the teams made up of street legends.

12. Truth

Truth Member

I like the rookie game as much as the All-Star game.
    I hate the WNBA influence in All-Star weekend!!
    I want to see a regular 2 on 2 with NBA teams, that would be tight.

13. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

dont u watch steve francis and Moochie? :)

14. ElVenezolano

ElVenezolano Contributing Member

I would make a WNBA team against an NBA team and see who wins ..... hehe so we could shut all the people saying WNBA is better cuz they play the real game.. haha

15. B

B Contributing Member

What about 3 NBA players vs 5 WNBA players, full court?

B