1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Houston-area theme park coming soon?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by houston#1, Feb 20, 2013.

1. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

compard to earth quest, this place is very underwhelming, i almost hope it doesnt get built. its a 2nd rate theme park. big space with very little.. uhhhh.. was so looking forward to earth quest..

[​IMG]

VS.

[​IMG]

looks like a putt-putt course.. SMH

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

^^ But that's probably why earth quest never came to fruition. It was just way too much going on

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL, bless your heart.

It was never supposed to come to fruition. It was a sham from the very beginning.

This thing will never come to fruition for the same reasons, BTW.

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

earthquest didn't come to fruition because it was a scam.

Conceptually - it was one of the few alternatives that would make that area of town viable.

The developer of the land is desperate and has been for years. They want anything to be there and first tried selling me that I should write a feasiblilty study showing that a master planned community there would be as successful as the woodlands. Ha! I didn't even bother drafting the study to kill it because I viewed that as stealing their money.

Now the county EDC has egg on their face and is trying to dig out. The smart thing would have been to try and contact Disney, Six Flags, and any other successful theme park developer and get them on board with tax abatements and uber low land costs. Unfortunately, it looks like they are completely in over their heads and are trying to fudge it and go the independent route. Hopefully it will fail before it gets started so that it won't deter another developer from coming into the city and building a state of the art theme park.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You do know that EarthQuest was a hoax from the very beginning, right? All those renderings were just a farce to get investors to pony up some cash. It was completely unfeasible from the start.

6. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Maybe its just a start. More rides could be built in the future. I hope so.

7. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

:rolleyes:

we know that now, but when earth quest was initially anounced i didnt know it was a scam. those rendering still had our expectations fairly high. now weve got these renderings of grand texas which are quite depressing..

8. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Yeah, its quite depressing. I really want a lot more rides. 25 acres only at Grand Texas? That's not enough. That's like Kemah Broadwalk and Galveston Pleasure Pier but I think both are even better than Grand Texas.

I don't know what they were thinking.

9. Pringles

Pringles Member

How are you so sure? I really hope what you say is true, because Grand Texas looks really stupid.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Is it really only 25 acres? Seriously?

To put that in perspective....

Kemah Boardwalk is 42 acres http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemah_Boardwalk

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

That looks boring as hell. No, thank you.

12. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

Are any of the other Six Flags locations so close to their city's downtown like AstroWorld was? ive only been to Fiesta Texas and Magic Mountain but when i was much younger. I always remembered Magic Mountain being quite a drive from LA. No reason we shouldnt have a Six Flags here anymore, i understand the problem with AstroWorld, but this land in New Caney seems like the perfect location for a future state of the art amusement park..

13. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Amen.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

actually when AstroWorld was built, that location wasn't considered to be particularly "close" to downtown :)

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

#55 ima_drummer2k, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  16. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

A couple notes. Several photos were posted to the facebook page for the park of the land where this is set to be built. Seems a walkthrough was done with architects expected to be involved with the building of it.

The photos are fairly mundane, just some woods and a creek, but a couple notes from questions in the comments section that were answered:

Q: When can we expect anymore renderings. And when we get our rides what companies are we lookin at?

A: We are in the middle of engineering. We've elected to focus on these processes rather than pictures that will not accurately reflect the development. Site plans will be next but coming later. Yes. This is the actual site of the Theme Park.

A: These pictures are of the site located at the junction of I 69 (formerly hwy 59) and 242. This is Mare Branch Creek that traverses the site where Grand Texas Theme Park will be.

Q: will it be on the north side or south side of 242? west of I 69?

A: The overall development is both sides but the theme park will be on the north side of 242

Q: has the land been purchased yet or is it still in the process?

A: The land is in the contingency stages during which the suitability of the property is determined. We had a previous closing date of April 30th, but that will be pushed back a couple of weeks due to som transaction changes.

Q: I heard at least one of the coasters will be world class. What companies are you contracting to build the coasters?

A: Trade secret.. Sorry. We were promised top ten in the nation.

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/...month-doesnt-want-to-compete-with-disneyland/

18. Pringles

Pringles Member

"We're not going to compete with Disneyland. We want to create an entertainment value that's similar to going to the movies or going bowling."

Dumb. Ain't no one gonna drive that far to go somewhere that has the same entertainment value as that of a movie theater or bowling ally.

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Exactly. Either that's a horrible quote, or it's going to suck. Who spends $200 million to compete with something you have on every other corner?

20. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

lol so basicaly its going to be the houston marq-e. some games, restaurants, movies, bowling lanes, pool tables and very little foot traffic.. ghost town mon-fri...