1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[New Heights] For Sec. of State, Obama Appoints Decorated Vietnam Veteran

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deckard, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I don't have a problem with the nomination. I am not impressed with the trollish thread title.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is it not accurate?
    how exactly is it trollish?:confused:

Rocket River

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm not certain what you don't understand. The original genesis of this thread was one poster starting a silly trolling/flamebait thread a month ago after McCain's Susan Rice tantrum came to fruition and the Senate Repubs got their dream SoS....Deckard started this one largely to mock the mocker, IIRC....a fool's errand, IMO, but that's what it is.

now your'e saying he shouldnt' have started it, because John Kerry is rich. Do you see where the logic train went off the track in the last few sentences? :confused:

You're going to have to state the grounds of your cassus belli a bit more clearly prior to your motion being entertained.

4. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't trollish.... he is a higly decorated Vietnam veteran and some conservatives HATE IT.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I know that was a Clinton jab, but yes, what difference does it make? If Obama wants Kerry and Hagel to be the people he gets to do his bidding in their departments, fine by me. The only issue I'd have would be if the person is somehow incompetent because they do actually have administrative duties they need to perform.

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i don't necessarily disagree.

7. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I don't spend all day on here knowing which thread was a sarcastic thread to another thread or that nonsense.

I just don't like John Kerry. I think he's a aristocratic, marry for money douchebag.

My only comment in general was why the traditional left leaning liberal people that abhor those that 'won life's lottery' or use trusts to funnel capital to the next generation etc. like this guy?

He needed to marry an even richer older bowzer because his Forbes family trusts weren't even enough to fulfill his opulance lifestyle of homes all over, sailboats and vacationing on other blue bloods estates.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

But you liked the "trollish title" that I was responding to? Why am I not surprised. This is a legitimate topic, with an accurate title. President Obama has nominated a decorated veteran of the Vietnam War, one who served two tours there, as Secretary of State. Glad you don't have a problem with the nomination.

Rocket River, this is why he made his comment. Read the other title of the thread linked below and the reason for the wording of the title of this one becomes perfectly clear.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=231059

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am not sure if I am a "progressive" but I have no problem with taxing John Kerry a much higher marginal rate.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Washington's actions were Constitutional and in line with law as passed by Congress as the Whiskey Rebellion wasn't a war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_rebellion
    [rquoter]Before troops could be raised, the Militia Act of 1792 required a justice of the United States Supreme Court to certify that law enforcement was beyond the control of local authorities. On August 4, 1794, Justice James Wilson delivered his opinion that western Pennsylvania was in a state of rebellion.[80] On August 7, Washington issued a presidential proclamation announcing, with "the deepest regret", that the militia would be called out to suppress the rebellion. He commanded insurgents in western Pennsylvania to disperse by September 1.[81][/rquoter]

11. Anticope

Anticope Member

I don't know anyone who abhors people that 'won life's lottery.' Perhaps these traditional left leaning liberal people that you speak of actually abhor legislation that favors those types of people and you just can't tell the difference? (Or choose not to)

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he's getting you up in a tisy - he's joking around.

13. Major

Major Member

Perhaps the problem is simply that you've bought into the "lefties hate the rich!" mythology that is spewed out by the right. The left want rules to make those people contribute more to society - that's all. And Kerry actually supports those moves. So why would they have a problem with him?

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I by no means blame you for not knowing the context of this thread.

However - If Kerry had somehow devoted his politics towards helping out the very richest perhaps you'd have a point; Rather he's done the opposite and been in favor of a more progressive tax policy to my knowledge. So your principal objection, that he married rich so people must hate him, is the kind of thing a teenager who only watches Fox news would say. It's beneath you.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

What a man hypothetically does for his own financial well being, in between volunteering for and serving honorably in a dangerous wartime tour of duty and then building a successful criminal justice and political career, doesn't automatically dictate his legislative or governing record; there are completely different factors at play. Furthermore, your assumptions about his relationship choices are both childishly irrational and flatly sexist against women. You harbor extremely simplistic and resentful views of personal wealth that most liberals or conservatives in a capitalist society simply don't.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

History is written by the victors. Congress has yet to declare war since the second world war, but the constitution has absolutely no bearing toward war - only its declaration.

Our current president gladly pulls troops out of Iraq only to hide behind the vail of technology, disguised as moderneity, to order drone attacks in sovereign nations. Contradictions abound, but as Billy Joel said "We didn't start the fire, its always been burning since the world's been turning".

1 person likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The Whiskey Rebellion was about as much of a war as the Rodney King riots was a war. In fact it was much less violent than the Rodney King Riots. This isn't a matter of history being written by the winners but an understanding of the Constitution and the Constitution does empower domestic police powers. Further the force called to suppress the rebellion wasn't a Federal army but state militia under the command of the executive. In present terms it would be using the National Guard.
    Those don't really compare to the Whiskey Rebellion as those are all deal with foreign issues rather than internal which the Constitution does make some very clear distinctions about.

What is important though about the Whiskey Rebellion to our times has to do with the Second Amendment. It shows that one, the Founding Fathers didn't believe in an inviolate right of citizenry to take up arms against the government and two, that purpose of militia was for collective security rather than individual.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

How do you measure what is war? Some wars go by different names: rebellion, slaughter, holocaust, insurection, riots, etc.

As far as the 2nd amendment, I am certain there were founding fathers who objected to a standing army.

Washington was justified because the size of the force he commanded greatly outweighed the peasant frontiersmen he sought to subjugate. The rebellion was easy to put down on the basis of size. I do not think our current policy would be tolerated if it lead to a pschologically unsuitable number of American casualties.

I will compare the situation to something more modern: Libya. There were many people who justified the US involvment in the war based on the 'no American casualties' and 'minimum cost' argument. I assume these arguments are meant to mean that the US involvement was humanitarian because it placed no Americans in harms way and didn't break the bank. If that is true, then those arguments cannot convey humanitarian characteristics of the US's involvement.

20. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

first white male confirmed as SoS in 16 years.

#progress