1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Hampshire Primary

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by baller4life315, Feb 11, 2020.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You are correct, and that is why I value Iowa's numbers more than New Hampshire. That and I think that Iowa is more reflective of the rust-belt electorate the Democrats need to supercharge to win in 2020.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who do think is fine with the status quo?

This what upsets me about Bernie supporters, just because you are not with him you must be fine with the status quo, I am certainly not.

Name one other candidate that is fine with the status quo?

If Bernie and his supporters could tone down the virtue signaling and righteousness and understand that people just believe in different ways to solve some of the issues he would go a long way.

Bernie does not have all of the answers and he is not the only savior.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why?

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Because it's the "barrier to entry" for a caucus is higher. Every little bit of extra participation is weighted heavier there than in a simple vote-and-go primary. It takes more energy/excitement to get people to caucus. That and, as I said already, I think Iowa is more similar to the rust belt which is where Democrats need to improve their outreach.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You might be only noticing the obnoxious ones and forgetting about the more amenable people you meet who can respect a difference of opinion but will nevertheless vote for Sanders.

Nook and joshuaao like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Something we agree on .... Hillary.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease - Its those obnoxious ones who draw attention to themselves so naturally they are who's talked about.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

To be fair the only ones I know are on here and also from twitter.

That's what I am basing this on.

8. JuanValdez

I've never accused you of accepting the status quo

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

More people in Iowa. High Turnout Elections is always a good sign for democrats.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I was not talking about you and did not know you were a Bernie supporter.

11. JuanValdez

Yeah, that's what I meant -- people only notice the obnoxious ones (which hopefully I'm not, at least when it comes to ideological purity).

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't think you are obnoxious but even you could not help but take shots at Pete.

I should not say Bernie supporters but Bernie bros I think there is a difference.

I don't consider you a bro.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I will say I am glad that Bernie congratulated all of the candidates and showed a bit of unity, Pete did as well.

We don't need to destroying ourselves.

14. JuanValdez

What, I was complimenting him on his chameleon-like ability to trick people into thinking he believes exactly what they want him to believe. ;)

Nah, Pete's cool. I don't favor him for the nomination, but I have no problem supporting him if he gets it.

I agree there is a difference between a supporter and a bro, and I don't call myself a bro. It's a bit of a No True Scotsman argument because you pretty much have to be intolerant of other candidates to be called a Bernie Bro. But I think his support is much wider than the allegedly intolerant Bernie Bro set. I think we've had variations of this conversation several times before where you suspect Sanders' base are ideological, aren't open to compromise, and can't be counted on to be loyal to whoever the nominee is. It's not baseless, we saw some of that in 2016. And I guess it's hard to know how much it'd materialize in 2020 but I guess I'm just more optimistic that it won't be a problem.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

We will see I hope so as well.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Looks like all the new voters went to the moderate candidates.

Nook, JuanValdez, Corrosion and 2 others like this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's a beautiful chart.

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  18. foh

foh Member

Based on social mobility in country and on the stats I read online, people remain close to the same tax bracket throughout their life. People who want their college to be free don't strike me as those who believe in American dream much either - they genuinely feel that college ought to be free. They make 50K now and 70K in 15 years annually and your tax bracket goes up by 4% - you are contending that someone who feels college ought to be free now will change their mind in 15 years over 4% increase? It's possible, but you are just guessing as far as I can tell. Not everyone is a flip flopper when it comes to values.

Young made it to the last 6 or 7 people judging by the debates. You think he was there purely as a diversity prop? To make debates, he had to hit a "seriousness" criteria. He was serious enough for people to really go into in-depth analysis of his ideas around here. But sure if you say he is not serious, then he must not be serious

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's an interesting graph .... I think it shows there is some truth to the idea that Bernie's potential being limited. He's got his base but the rest are fluid.

RayRay10 and Amiga like this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Those people wanting free college now want it because its free to them .... and its OPM that's at stake.

When its their money at stake , they'll change their tune - I don't want to pay for that.

Human's are selfish like that.

And really , this does nothing to solve the problem going forward.