1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Google Maps

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Mar 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Anyone else hate this thing as much as I do? It takes like 5 seconds to load up an address whereas the old one took like a second. Trying to get directions is even longer. I'm not seeing anything crazy new that would be killing the speed like this. I don't understand Google's strategy on this. Only reason I even switched from Yahoo to Google was because it was so uncluttered and faster. The new Google Maps makes me feel like they've totally lost sight of that.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I concur. Full screen is nice but everything g else takes some getting used to in an annoying way

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It sucks, but there is a way to revert back to the old version. I did it on my laptop at home.

I understand how technology works, but sometimes it's best to just leave well enough alone and not "fix" things that aren't broken.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I like almost all of Google's changes, I like the look of the new Maps, but it does suck overall.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek:

I've been "previewing it" for a long time and there are no snafus. It's odd that it loads slowly for some of you. It loads fast enough for me, and it has found everything.

It can't locate a few things, but that's cool with me:
    [​IMG]

;)

6. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Doesn't have "Send to Car":mad: I'll stay with the old version.

1 person likes this.
  7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Hate the new Google Maps. Hate the large window for reviews/street view as it takes up half the map.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Immediately made me think of this...

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:comedycentral.com:3497278c-ed01-11e0-aca6-0026b9414f30" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.cc.com/shows/louis-c-k---hilarious">Louis C.K.: Hilarious</a></b><br/>Get More: <a href="http://www.cc.com/stand-up/video-clips">Watch More Stand-Up.</a></p></div></div>

10. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I prefer the old version. It was snappy, got the job done and kept the unnecessary BS fairly low.

11. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I switched to Bing Maps while Google Maps figures out who it wants to be in the end.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

This is what happens when Steve Jobs passes away.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I hate the way it forces me into navigation, I just want to see the ****ing map directions and follow it okay? THX.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I we talking about Google Maps Mobile app? Because the browser maps is much better than previously.

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I was referring to the mobile app, I'm assuming they were too.

17. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Just tap the image of the map and don't hit the Start Navigation button. Slide up from the bottom and there you have it.

18. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I hate that google got rid of the discussion feature for searches. I used it to go through forums. The feature still exist but you have to do it manually.

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I like Google Maps on my phone, but I agree that the web version isn't as snappy as the old version. Hopefully they'll get it right, it was definitely much easier to control in the past than it is now.

20. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

it's like the better things get the whinier we are. I remember when we had to go buy a map, in the rain, uphill both ways. Get off my lawn.

If the next world war goes down any time soon (I'm looking at you, Pootin) you "I can't wait 5 seconds for my auto GPS map to load" people are going to be the ones we analog jokers eat first.