1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Evidence of Something Positive in Iran?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CreepyFloyd, Jun 4, 2006.

1. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

No...Never on this board

http://www.irna.ir/en/news/view/menu-234/0606046065175646.htm

Life expectancy in Iran has improved to 73 years among men and to 74 years among women, said Iran's Health Minister Kamran Baqeri Lankarani in Hamburg.

"In the past 27 years, life expectancy in Iran stood at 56 years and death rate among children under five at 120 per thousand, while life expectancy figure rose to 73 years among men and to 74 years among women thanks to the improvement of national health care system and a 90 percent health coverage provided to the rural citizens," said Baqeri Lankarani in an address to the 8th German World Bank Forum held in Hamburg, Germany, from June 1-2.

The minister said the number of emergency medical centers increased to 1,100 from 620 in a year.

He said a national committee has been formed in Iran to check the spread of AIDS mostly along the western borders of Iran, and especially among addicts sharing common needle.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's good news ~ right in line with world averages.

3. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

maybe maybe no.

5. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

agreed.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm sure that number will go down after the war. ;)

7. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

cheetah, good to see you

iran is a developing nation and...

...look at how much it's improved since the revolution:

In the past 27 years, life expectancy in Iran stood at 56 years and death rate among children under five at 120 per thousand, while life expectancy figure rose to 73 years among men and to 74 years among women thanks to the improvement of national health care system

and i'm pretty sure this is way above world averages:

90 percent health coverage provided to the rural citizens

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

man, there's NEVER any good news posted on this board about Luxemburg... you people sicken me.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,2031580,00.html

Luxemburg PM Awarded Unity Prize
    The prize was first awarded in 1950
    Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift: The prize was first awarded in 1950

Aachen’s annual Charlemagne Prize for distinguished service on behalf of European unification went to Jean-Claude Juncker for his efforts to promote European unity.

At 51, Jean-Claude Juncker is quite young for one of Europe’s elder statesmen. Now in his 11th year as Prime Minister of Luxemburg, he is respected at home and abroad for his honesty and straight talking style. That is why no one was surprised when he turned down the offer of the European Commission presidency last year.

"You can’t run for prime minister on the13th of June and then turn around on the 17th or 18th and say, ‘sorry people, you’ve gone and voted me in, but I’m off to the European Commission now,'" he said. "You just can’t deceive people like that."

Jean-Claude Juncker rose to political prominence at an early age. In 1984, at the age of 30, he was elected to parliament as a member of the Christian Social People's Party. In 1990, he became leader of the party and by 1995, was both prime minister and finance minister of Luxemburg.

Yet despite his reluctance to abandon his electorate for the European stage, the Christian Democrat has always been at the forefront of efforts to further European integration. Juncker was instrumental in setting up a common European currency during the 1990s and has played a crucial role in balancing the national interests of Europe’s larger states, when they have threatened to pull the fabric of European unity apart. He has demonstrated that even a small country can have a big impact in the jungle of European politics.

Juncker follows luminaries such as Winston Churchill, Vaclav Havvel and Bill ClintonBildunterschrift: Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift: Juncker follows luminaries such as Winston Churchill, Vaclav Havvel and Bill Clinton

His advice for achieving diplomatic success sounds like a passage out of a management text book.

"You have to give the other person the impression that they have achieved something," he said. "We all feel good when we achieve something. So you have to allow the other person to feel like they’ve really made a breakthrough in that moment."

A champion of integration

Jean-Claude Juncker’s passion for European integration also stems from his belief in banishing war from Europe, and escaping the continents bloody past. The son of a steel worker who was drafted by the Nazis to fight on the eastern front in the Second World War, Juncker champions integration as a means of keeping the peace. War between western European countries is unthinkable today and Europeans should take more pride in this achievement of integration, he says.

More recently, though, he has had less success in bridging Europe’s differences. He was clearly devastated by the rejection of a European constitution in referendums in France and the Netherlands last year. And when Juncker, serving as EU President at last June’s European summit, couldn’t get member states to compromise on the EU budget, he has let his frustration show.

"Others will go on to say Europe is in no crisis," he said. "I say it is stuck in a deep crisis."

Whether or not the rejection of a European constitution spells the halt of the integration process, Juncker insists he still has the motivation, if not the answers, to tackle Europe’s woes.

Nathan Witkop (jb)

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I was just speaking on developed world averages -- certainly Iran is far ahead of Sudan, Afghanistan, Liberia, Cambodia, etc.

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Especially sticking women halfway in dirt to stone them, no?

;)

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thirty-five years ago I flew into Luxembourg on Icelandic Air, the cheapest way to go from the States to Europe at the time, short of going on a charter. (which I took back, having sold my Icelandic return ticket to extend my several month trip by a couple of weeks) One of the reasons I remember the tiny country so well, (it's capitol, at any rate), was that it was snowing, something that wasn't a frequent sight for this Houston native.

It was the beginning of March, and after I spent that night in Luxembourg, with the blonde I flew over with, I began to travel southwest, ending up eventually in the Greek Isles for several weeks. On the way, I spent a week in Venice, deserted and beautiful, and a week in Belgrade, in a blizzard much of the time, with Gypsies walking barefoot in the snow, beautiful music on the radio, dancing in a nightclub until 3am, and in the capitol of a Communist state... trippy!

Sorry... you just triggered a burst of memories, good ones. It happens.

Keep D&D Civil.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's important to highlight the positives of Iranian life as Iran pushes the entire Middle East towards a nuclear showdown. Good call Creepy. Are there any pro Stalin articles you'd like to post to make up for lost time? :rolleyes:

13. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

iran's never attacked a country in it's modern history...all it's doing is insisting on exercising it's legal and inalienable rights as a sovereign nation-state...i guess some people would be happy here if they were a us client regime

14. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

it might be better if iran was a brutal us sponsored dictatorship like egypt...the lucky egyptian government gets all their atrocities swept under the rug thanks to their sponsors in washington...on the other hand, every time somebody is arrested in iran, it's posted on this board

15. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I'm sure that not everything is bad in Iran or as bad as we might think that still doesn't necessarilly mean that everything is good or that the current Iranian Admin. isn't set on a dangerous course of sabre rattling and provocation.

16. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Atleast in egypt there is religiouse freedome. in iran under the mollahs members of the bahai faith cant attend University and have been stripped of there jobs. the zorastim, christian and jews get discriminated against in the same manner.

17. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

go to the font page and scroll down and read the article about the crackdown on student leaders. real democracy under the mollahs.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i know alot of cool iranians.
    they all live here!

19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

blazer_ben, anything with the Royal Family's crest is bound to be biased. I understand that most of the Iranians that fled were those who were royal supporters. They will go to all lengths to discredit the current government and will report unverified stories, if needed. If a foriegner were to use Democraticunderground as their only source of American policy, then they would end up with the idea that America is a very corrupt nation with many instances of civil rights abuses. Iran va Jahan is hosted in France, a nation miles away from every day Iran.