1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New ESPN Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ctry2582, May 24, 2005.

1. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

I dunno if it's been posted or not, but here it is:

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Splitter would be an interesting choice, he has good size and can rebound well.

I don't see Simien and Diogu dropping to the 2nd round, if Simien is still around at #24, then the Rockets should pick him up no doubt.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Please no more eurotrash. We need a known commodity that can produce for us right away.

4. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I notice Sean May isn't in the top 10. I've seen that on few mock draft boards. He would be a nice pick up at 24 if he slips down a few.

Splitter who??

5. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

26. DETROIT PISTONS
    Yaroslav Korolev
    RUSSIA | SMALL FORWARD
    HEIGHT: 6-9 | WEIGHT: 215 | AGE: 17

Korolev is another young international player who could dramatically raise his stock in the next few years if he stayed in Russia. The Pistons, who have an eye for international talent, won't let him slip by. :D

LOL they have an eye for international talent? It sure came in handy when they took darko :eek:

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I wish the Spurs felt that way.

7. haven

haven Member

What's wrong with Eurotrash?

There's no such thing as a known commodity. Not in the top 5 picks. Certainly not at #24.

8. gucci888

There have been plenty of European guys drafted late in the 1st rounder that contributed right away, to me, it's just kind of luck. But you have to take the risk sometimes, just look at some of these names:

Tony Parker, Raul Lopez, Mehmet Okur, Barbosa, AK-47, Ginobili
    were all picked #24 or after.

9. kh0001

kh0001 Contributing Member

That list of players suddenly bring a lot of hope to me for a 24th pick. I would say it's all luck.

KH

10. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

i think AK went top 15

11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Eurotrash or Ameritrash, I don't think it matters much at #24. Although the talent level at that spot may be a bit better than it was a few years ago, it's probably still going to be a crapshoot.

13. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The mocks I've seen have Splitter going around 10. That looks like a freefall. And with Simien and Diogu in the second round, who is it that's moving up?

14. micah1j

micah1j Member

ESPN is moving Andrew Bynum, Julius Hodge & Yaroslav Korolev into the first round. Most other mocks have these guys as second rounders. Marko Tomas is also not on many mocks but his position is about right for the ones he is on.

I expect a couple of these euro guys to withdrawl if they see themselves falling to far. IE - Ersan Ilyasova, Tiago Splitter, Nemanja Aleksandrov & even Martynas Andriuskevicius

15. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Part of today's NBA Insider, talking about Julius Hodge.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

it's a crapshoot at #1, throughout the Lottery, and across the board. #24 is just crapshootier.

17. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Not all of the players contributed right away. I'm not sure about any of the others you named, but I'm pretty sure AK spent 1 or 2 years playing ball elsewhere before coming Stateside

18. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

FYI:

HoopsHype.com Interviews

Tiago Splitter: "I think I'm not going to declare"
    by Jorge Sierra / March 7, 2004 - Photo: Euroleague Pictures

You've played a lot of minutes on your previous teams in the Spanish lower divisions. How do you handle the lack of playing time with your current club (Tau Ceramica, the best team in the Spanish league)?

Tiago Splitter: I think playing for Tau is the best thing for me. But getting used to this level now... It's much harder. I now have to earn my minutes when I play.

In which area of your game do you think you have improved the most this season?

TS: I think the main thing is toughness, because this is a league with much bigger people than LEB (Spanish second division) and that changes the whole thing.

Ever since you were a kid, you've been expected to become a star. Do you feel the pressure? Is that a problem for you?

TS: No, I think that is not is true. I've always played against older guys, older players and I feel no pressure. But I do have to prove why I play on a team with this level.

Had you stayed in Brazil, do you think you would have progressed the way you have in Spain?

TS: I don't know. I know there are a lot of players there that have not progressed as well as I have. It's hard to compare. It's something difficult for me to say.

Is there any player you look up to as a model? Gasol maybe?

TS: No, you have take the best of each player. You don't have to focus on one player only.

You are one of the most talked about draft prospects this year. Are you aware of all that?

TS: Yeah, well. I know there is a lot of speculation about me, but I don't worry much about that. Right now, I'm really fine in Europe.

What are your plans regarding the draft?

TS: Right know, I don't know yet. It depends on my agent and it also depends on how I play this season.

And what's your agent's advice?

TS: Right know -- the way things have gone this season -- I think I'm not going to declare. But well... If things change, I may change my mind.

What would you do if they give you a guarantee that you will be a lottery pick in the draft?

TS: I would have to look at it. The thing is, I have a contract with my team Tau Ceramica, and I would have to pay a buyout. But if I was a lottery pick and it was a good situation money-wise and I could afford to pay the buyout...

Do you how much is the buyout worth?

TS: No, no. I can't tell you that.

If you finally go to the NBA, how would you handle a situation like the one Darko Milicic is going through -- not playing at all?

TS: That will be another thing I would have to look at. I would have to get guaranteed minutes there. That's important.

19. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

that article refers to last years draft

20. gucci888

You're right, AK spent 1 more year overseas. But my point is that picking a foreign player at #24 is just as risky as choosing a college guy.

You just never know how a player is going to pan out, especially late in the 1st round and 2nd round.

But you can't pass the so-called "eurotrash" just because you want someone to help out right away. You could be skipping right over the next Manu or Parker.