1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(New Episode) Chuck Hayes at the Barbershop

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jun 15, 2007.

1. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

So i am sitting in my usual seat at the barbershop today and it suddenly hits me that i hadnt seen Chuck since the beginning of the playoffs, but i simply chalk it up to him probably not spending his summers here....

No later than a minute later Chuck walks in with his girlfriend, the baby boy, and his younger brother.

He again remembers my name and walks over to sit next to me. He seems to be very close to his baby, its pretty nice to see. By the way, his brother possesses a striking resemblance to Ron Artest, seriously! its pretty scary how much they look alike. Anyways, so some highlights of the meeting were as follows:

- He said he hasnt talked to anyone yet about his free agency status b/c apparently they're waiting till july 1st to start talking ( i didnt realize teams actually followed that rule, especially with their own free agents). I did get the sense, however, that he REALLY would like to be back with the team

- He said he's spending his summer here in Houston to work out although he has not begun full force workouts yet. He will be heading to China to promote his shoes, has a wedding to go to in Kentucky, and a bball camp in Virginia.

- I asked about the R. Lewis rumor with the Rockets. He said he has heard about that and that he also heard Rashard really wants to come back to Houston. Take that for what its worth

- His girlfriend is one of the finest specimens i've ever seen. Chuck and his brother were joking about her race, and Chuck said she was "other" which was pretty funny. She said shes black and that both of her parents are black. I dont see that, but oh well, she goes in my "Fine as hell" category.

- His baby had minor skin breakout on his face, to which the barber joked "Damn Chuck!! You fouled the baby too???? he's crying for a call" ROFL

Another very good meeting with Chuck as always. I told him I saw JL3 and his brother amongst others at Palace Lanes bowling, and he said we should hit it up one time, which I thought of actually doing today, but I didnt want to exchange numbers with him and seem crazy in any way. Next time if i see him i do plan to exchange numbers with him though. I think thats everything guys.

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

LOL, Nice one by the barber.

You should of asked him about him working on a jump shot.

Thanks for all of that though

3. yo

yo Contributing Member

You sure it wasn't Ron? There's been a looot of talk around here lately.....

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Meh... I liked this scenario better the first time when Seinfeld had the man crush on Keith Hernandez.

5. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

Thanks for the inside scoop. I hope we resign Chuck, I really like him on our team. He's like Rocky to me. Besides, I'm gonna miss having Hayesfan around if we don't. :D

6. user

user Member

I doubt the barber was joking...

7. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Good scoop. If you see him next time ask him if he does that free throw delay on purpose.

Also can I come if you guys bowl? :D :p

8. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

i would have traded numbers, personally i rarely ever call up guys to hang out though unless i know them real well. if you do plan on hanging out with him though you should have asked. sounds funny though and good luck to him. he's a great player to have on this team.

9. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

I don't think that Chuck is going anywhere.

No matter who we get as a starting power forward they will need help. If we get some additional scoring help from the bench (either from people we already have or someone new) he would be great off of the bench. Has some fouls to give, can steal the ball, can make the point blank shot and can rebound to get the ball back the shooters.

Most important (and the reason I think he will still be here) is that the price will be a bargain for a good role player.

10. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Give him whatever the early Bird Rights salary is, and Chuck will be back. He plays his role as well as anyone, but that role is limited enough that he won't demand a lot on the open market.

11. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

Did you ask him what he thought of JVG and the previous coaching staff, and how his role will change under Adelman?

What barber shop is this?

12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

As soon as you exchange numbers, you'll be helping him move. Always happens!

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

as long as he doesnt ask for help in moving bodies.

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Thanks for the story!

You should hang out with him, everyone I know of who has ever met him has said he's a really nice guy. I personally haven't ever met him, but living in Kentucky I know several people who were in a couple of his college classes.

and CharlieM, I won't ever completely leave now... I am too fond of Yao and the Rockets! :) and I know Yao isn't going anywhere. So you won't have to miss me too much.

15. Man

Man Contributing Member

efficient! ---> keeper.

thanks for sharing

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Nice work Moe. Always enjoy the updates on the Chuckwagon.

17. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

He said he hasnt spoken or met coach RA yet but that he did hope to meet him next month. To be honest from my previous interaction with Chuck he always seemed to appreciate the opportunity that JVG gave him but he also seemed indifferent about who coached. I think he has confidence in himself and he understands that his role is one that needs to be filled on the team regardless of system or coach. He fulfills his duty, plays with heart and passion, and works very hard on his game consistently, and that alone should net him a spot in our rotation.

I think his defensive versatility, rebounding, movement without the ball, and energy are very vital on this team, not necessarily as a starter, but definitely as a 15-20 min role player.

18. Phil

Phil Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes has his own line of shoes???? :confused:

19. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

i think it's Li Ning

20. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Yeah it isn't "his" line of shoes, but he has a one year contract with Li Ning. I believe (if I understood the translation correctly) it was conditional on his performance this year for whether or not they would extend it to another year or more.

Shaq and someone else I don't recall at this moment also have Li Ning contracts.