1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Draftexpress mock draft (accounting for team needs)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Carl Herrera, May 29, 2012.

1. clos4life

clos4life Member

If your worst case is Splitter that's not too bad. Solid backup center. Better than bust.

2. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Hansbrough is a terrible comparison. only they have that are similar is that they are both white

3. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

exactly thats why i want him so bad.

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

haha. I couldn't really pick a worst case scenario for him.

5. Nook

Nook Member

If Drummond really slips (I don't buy it), then the Rockets have a shot at getting him at 4-6 if they deal Lowry to the Raptors and package #14 or #16 to move up a few spots.

A lot of "ifs" but not absurd and would give the Rockets the high end post talent they crave. For all his warts, Drummond has more physical upside than anyone in this draft.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

As far as Zeller AS A PRO, a see a bigger (potentially better) version of Nick Collison. That's a compliment, believe it or not.

At Kansas, Collison was a star offensive threat; but when he got to the NBA, he quickly learned to do all the little things (other than just scoring or rebounding) to help his team win.

I see those same qualities--and a similar game--in Zeller (i.e., potentially great screen setter, good on box-outs, able to hit the open mid-range jumper), although Zeller can block shots as well.

Also, due to immense talent on UNC's roster, Zeller was never so big a star that he developed "star tendencies". Much like Chandler Parsons at Florida, Zeller has played four years of top-notch college ball as an uber-talented role player.

Guys like that--and with NBA size and talent--tend to succeed in the NBA at a higher clip than most.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The Zeller boys, like the Gasol boys.....can play some big time ball.

8. CertifiedTroll

I see Zeller as Blake Griffin / Steve Novak Hybrid. The athleticism of Novak with the arm length of Griffin. :p

1 person likes this.
  9. Rocketman81

Rocketman81 Member

Im tired of having role players on this team. We need to swing for the fence and go for biggest upside even if the potential to be a bust is greater. Whats the worst thing that can happen if Leonard is a bust? He rides out his rookie contract at the end of the bench. Whats the best thing that can happen if we draft Zeller? He becomes another average rotaion guy who shares time with our other 12 equally talented rotation guys. We have to go with the highest upside. Seems like a no brainer to me.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I understand your reasoning, but Zeller is a TRUE CENTER who himself could be an above average starting center. Even as a good backup, he'll have a great deal of value. Heck, just look at guys like Marcin Gortat and Omer Asik in recent years.

Also, based on your response, I hope you have not criticized Morey for his selection of Marcus Morris last year. Drafting him as a SF was exactly the sort of selection you are advocating.

11. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

This.

If the Rockets are able to get Zeller and Ross at #14 & #16, the draft would be a success.

Good: Poor man's Pau
    Bad: Homeless man's Pau

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

While I agree with your theory, I see absolutely 0 chance that Leonard ever becomes a superstar. Andre Drummand is the kind of un-proven, swing for the fences kind of potential star you take a chance on not Leonard. Leonard has more upside as a good role playing center that if he maxs out his potential would be a good (not great) starting center. But IMO Zellers upside is only slightly less but with a much better chance at being a quality starting center in the league than Leonard.

Neither player has a legit chance at being an all-star IMO unless it's as an alternit at some point in their careers. And that's if they max out their potential.

I would not mind the Zeller pick but I would love the Ross pick. I think I would prefer Arnet Moultrie to Zeller though.

13. Sanity2disChaos

maybe gasol....Lite ofcourse..He seems to have a soft feel to his game more then not. Collison is more of a physical guy then zeller will ever be...

I wouldnt mind Zeller and another big Like the kid from Mississippi....I think SG/Sf are attainable via trade and FA (gordan/Martin (yes martin!still)...ect)....Lets go BIG or go home. We need to address or lack of size,youth and athleticism in the post NOW!

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Any chance we can get Henson I like Henson talents over zeller and Leonard and if Drummond drops we absolutely need to move up and snag him

15. jopatmc

They have Jeremy Lamb at 8 to the Raptors. What!?!?

16. jopatmc

Moultrie is a 4. TZeller is a 5. Now, if Moultrie has a successful career, he could eventually wind up playing some 5 in his latter years, similar to the way Garnett and Duncan have. But for now and the forseeable future, Moultrie is a 4.

Zeller is the 2nd best center in this draft class behind Anthony Davis. Of course, if you don't consider Davis a center (don't know how you can't consider Davis a center because his greatest attribute is his ability to get to shots and either block them or alter them and he does it in bucketfuls), then TZeller is the best 5 in this draft.

17. jopatmc

Don't want. WAY too risky. That guy has trouble keeping his weight above 200 lbs. Very, very high bust potential.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It's a good mock. I see those places where trades could occur:

Sullinger at 6, when Portland needs a PG so badly? (*cough!* Lowry! *cough!*)

Granted, they have Portland taking a PG at #11, but I'm sure the Blazers are looking for an experienced point so they can jump back into the playoffs.

Toronto taking Lamb at 8? Only if Derozan gets traded.

But draftexpress seems to get these things right, or better than most, anyway.

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

A.Davis is rail thin too so is Durant bosh PAU gasol Duncan is skinny now Perkins lost weight u don't need to be strong at all no more to make a impact it's about size length athleticism wingspan and Henson had plenty of all those traits zeller is thin also now I'm not comparing Henson to the players I listed above but if u take a look back at the old school NBA most of the big men were rail thin even our coach whose a top 50 greatest player so im sure we can coach him up Henson has a remarkable wingspan length and athleticism and defensive presence

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

He's at 7th on NBAdraft.net (Golden State)
    He's at 14th on Hoopsworld (Houston) - Oddly, Bradley Beal is going 8th (Toronto)
    He's at 7th on Hoopshype (Golden State) - Bradley Beal, 6th (Portland)
    He's at 8th on WalterFootball.com (Toronto) - Bradley Beal, 2nd (Washington)
    He's at 17th on Chad Ford's ESPN mock draft (Dallas) Bradley Beal, 3rd (Cleveland)
    He's at 8th on The Hoops Report (Toronto) - Bradley Beal, 2nd (Washington)

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2012-nba-mock-draft-pre-lottery-edition
    http://walterfootball.com/nbadraft2012mock.php
    http://nbadraft.net/
    http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/chad-ford-mock-draft-40
    http://www.thehoopsreport.com/draft.aspx