1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Draftexpress mock draft (accounting for team needs)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Carl Herrera, May 29, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

#1 Carl Herrera, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I like both of our picks, and this is a more realistic mock.

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Not really sure what was the point of updating the mock when the drawings are tomorrow.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I doubt Zeller falls to #14 (someone always reaches for size), but I'd be pretty satisfied with a draft haul of Tyler Zeller and Terrence Ross. Personally, I think both will be good pros.

Zeller strikes me as a guy whose top end is "above average starting center" but whose bottom end is still "good backup center". (I like him MUCH more than guys like Meyers Leonard or Fab Melo, both of whom could just as easily be busts as they could be even decent players.) Zeller doesn't have tremendous upside, but I think he might be one of the safest picks in the draft . . . and at a position of need.

Ross has been largely overshadowed by some "bigger names" like Beal, Lamb and Rivers, but I think Ross could potentially be the best of them all (well, maybe after Beal). He does at least two things well that are critical to long-term NBA success: (1) He's got a good shot and (2) He can defend. An athletic, defensive-minded 6-6 SG with long arms--and who can also shoot, no less!--would be a welcome site on this Rockets team.

Absent a trade for a star player, I'd be just fine if the 2012 NBA Draft played out this way for the Rockets.

5. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

I wanna marry that Mock draft

Tyler Zeller and Terrence Ross would be amazing

6. Convictedstupid

Agree with everyone else. That haul would be great.

7. Convictedstupid

I'm also pretty sure Ross can play as a 2 as well. Which is good.

8. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Rather have Leonard than Zeller.

9. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Is DX run by Celtics fans. Celtics easily have the two best picks past 13.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Not to be rude, but WHY?

Leonard might have more upside than Zeller. But Leonard's upside is still only slightly higher than Zeller's, while Leonard's downside is tremendous compared to Zeller.

Frankly, I don't even think it's a contest. But that's just my opinion.

11. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Its not even close to a contest, Tyler Zeller may not have the upside of Leonard, but Zeller is solid and spent 4 years in college( you know you are gonna get with him). Leonard has huge BUST potential, and is extremely RAW

12. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Thank you Carl. But, I don't think Zeller will fall. And, I do think certainly that Lowry will be moved for a high pick.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I would be happy with this. I think I like Arnet Moultrie better than Zeller because he seems to have more athleticism and a good offensive game. I don't know who will end up being better though. I definitely like Zeller better than Leonard, mainly because of the difference in their aggresiveness. Leonard sometimes looks like he is scared to be assertive while Zeller looks assertive.

I really like Ross. I actually like him better than any of the other 2 guards on the board.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I watched a ton of Big Ten basketball and saw ML play a lot. I agree he has a ton of upside, nice vision, solid passer, pretty good weak side defender with a decent overall offensive game that is still developing.

What I didn't like from him is, he got pushed around easily by smaller guys, weak mental makeup, you could get inside his head easily, he'd become frustrated and it would take him completely out of the game. Yes he's young and could mature I'm just not convinced he will.

I do like his potential but I'd draft Zeller 10/10 times. Whether Zeller is at or close to his peak means nothing to me, he's a tireless worker with a very nice overall game. I think Zeller has a solid long career and makes any team better.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, which current NBA player would Zeller be comparable to in a good/bad case scenario?

16. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I'd be fine with those picks. I'd MUCH rather trade up for a potential star.

I really like Riss though. I think he's got an outside shot at being an Allstar, though I wouldn't predict it.

17. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

best case: Spencer Hawes meets PJ Brown

worse case Thiago Splitter

18. Nook

Nook Member

No one wants to hear it, but wouldn't be surprised if Rockets take Terrance Jones at 14, because he has highest upside... Nothing like collecting UK post players.

19. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Hawes/Hansbrough?

20. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Fixed ;)