1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NEW DEPTHS] For Sec. of State, Obama appoints anti-war activist whose actions harmed US troops

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Dec 21, 2012.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

Why not appoint a Republican Senator from a state with a democratic governor? Why get rid of a solid ally in Congress?

2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Uhhh, big mistake..Kerry is a horrible human being.

3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Kerry is a lousy choice... but pulling up Swift Boat crap from 8 years ago is indeed a reach. Focus on his track record, and the that record will show he's indeed a lousy choice.

4. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

McCain is a jackass too. Just typical complete stereotypical
    Politicians, both of them.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

FIFY.

6. ROXRAN

Kerry is a pos in the worst way. Obama at least is like able. This guy is a smug ass like Gore...he served in the war. Big deal, my uncle served in Vietnam, then he goes complete code pink ...he goes pro Sandinista in Nicaragua. He is awful. I wish nothing but ill will to him
    And yes it is personal, my aunt flew to Nicaragua and cried seeing how the country use to be compared to how it turned out even after all these years. There is a lot more stories I won't go into...but how that saga affected my bloodline...I wish nothing but the worse to those involved.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

As dumb as the thread title was this is just an idiotic post. Enlisted after graduating from Yale, commanded troops and took more enemy fire and had more kills than you, me, Cheney and W combined. Then he got into law school (W couldn't), had a successful career as a prosecutor and a lieutenant governor. He married well, but every single thing W did: National Guard enlisting and quitting, dubious HBS admission as an Ivy legacy with a CEO dad, failed oil career, fake Rangers ownership share; has come from family money, connections and executive access.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Partly because Executive appointments shouldn't cow to Legislative, partisan strategy, but also because Massachusetts is reliably blue.

9. ROXRAN

Can't personally stand Kerry, but that sounds smart

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Good. We need somebody who is anti-war in a position of power, for once.

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I'm curious why?

We all know the swiftboat distortions, and I know he is dry and pretty boring, but contrary to popular belief Kerry is well versed in foreign policy, military protocol, and diplomatic customs. Seems to me he would be a great choice.

12. ROXRAN

His stance towards Nicaragua. I have family ties there that were targeted by the Sandinistas...mainly it's my deal. No doubt Kerry has a no war stance and hopefully that includes everything, not pick and choose for liberal interests. . .i.e. Libya, which I wanted no part of

13. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Somoza was pretty bad, and Congress as a whole cut off aid to the Contras. Not saying the Sandinistas didn't do some bad things, but not supporting Somoza is hardly controversial.

Kerry is a good choice and has bipartisan support. Very solid understanding of foreign policy. Just hate to see his Senate seat go up.

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Texx and his ilk are idiots, but I hate Kerry for SOS. He proved in the presidential race that he is too long winded and qualified to make definitive policy statements.

Me, I'd go unconventional and maybe appoint John Huntsmen. The SOS doesn't fart without conferring with the President anyway.

15. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

16. Batman Jones

The only difference between you and her is that she apologized.

Shame on you.

17. Batman Jones

Yes, except that your statement has the benefit of being true.

18. Batman Jones

When there was a draft on for a war he opposed, Kerry volunteered to risk his life for this country because he didn't think it was fair that others should unless he did too. He is a portrait in honor and courage. He wasn't a gun nut like you are but when he shot guns people were shooting back at him. You ever tried that gun game? And when did you serve ROXRAN? Were you on the same tour of duty with Bush and Cheney?

19. ROXRAN

I'm glad he served. I'm also glad others like my uncle from my fathers side went as well...btw, he brought home a Vietnam wife so I guess it was good for him (his kids, my cousins...all hyper intelligent and doing well and accomplished.)...in hindsight, I feel good intentions for intervening is no excuse. We wanted to help a anti-communist country vs a communist country when communist countries then and even now ain't our pal. . .unless you are aligned with code pink or something weird, this is clear
    My contention with the man is mainly my deal and looking at it from the outside, he seems to be the 2nd choice when Obama wanted Rice, and I applaud Obama for not making Kerry the auto. 1st choice when he seemed to be from others perspective. Obama is engaging, real, has a great ability to connect, and seems like he tries to be fair and considerate to others even in the other party. Kerry is smug, no ability to connect, exudes elitism, sounds boring, crass and someone far less fair to others..I think on these traits alone that is something. Sure he is intelligent, served, but many others did as well.
    Putting my personal feelings and how it affected mothers family aside, Nicaragua was similar to Vietnam in trying to help anti-communist forces against communist forces...So I can understand from his perspective about intervening, but my problem is that he goes along intervening when it suits a political agenda on his side..Libya for ex.
    He said not a word on the military aid, intervention...That exudes fake, that exudes NOT a man of principle.

P.s., in case wondering, I am half Anglo/white, half Nicaraguan...never learned the Spanish tho..

20. Batman Jones

I respect your beef with Kerry on Nicaragua, ROXRAN. If this is why you tend to vote Republican, I understand a little bit better now. After all the king of Republican presidents committed high crimes and misdemeanors (including treason) in order to serve the Contras. If I were Nicaraguan I might feel exactly as you.

I don't think it's fair to call Kerry's foreign policy votes political ones, with the single exception of the Iraq war Obama just got us out of -- that one everyone got bullied into. I'd like for him to have shown more spine there but to be fair practically nobody (but Obama) did.

The reason I don't think it's fair to Kerry is because he has seen war up close and personal, he's been shot at, he knows what it is to commit Americans to fight and die. You say Nicaragua is personal to you. I really wish you'd stop throwing Code Pink around (a Kucinichization of Kerry but worse) but war is personal to Kerry. He risked his life for our freedom and he has a lot of dead friends as a result of it; if I were you, angry as you may be, I'd consider the possibility that foreign policy might be as personal to Kerry as your native country is to you.

You were anti-Libya intervention. Should all Libyans think you are a POS?

It's silly to attack Kerry for being boring or whatever. He's being nominated for the second most powerful position in America and he will likely be unanimously confirmed as he is highly respected by his colleagues on both sides of the aisle, especially on matters of foreign policy. He is qualified as hell.

I don't begrudge you your grudge though. Like I said, I would probably feel as you do were I in your shoes. And I'm very sorry about your family and your homeland.