1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets Sign Jason Collins

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Awesome

Awesome Member

If anything he shouldnt be getting all of this attention just because he likes men in his bedroom.

The guy couldnt play before he was out of the league and im sure that hasnt changed with him being out of the loop. There is no way a guy like Chris Wilcox or any other big man, even a Tyrus Thomas or Desagana Diop would be making a team and getting any attention but they all have on thing in common and the only thing that matters... all of them are washed up

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Ok yea its great that they are fighting discrimination but the amount of publicity is making this whole thing hypocritical . The point was that being gay shouldn't be a big deal and all that matters is on court play? Well they are doing just the opposite.

3. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

"We needed to increase our depth inside, and with his experience and size, we felt he was the right choice." Depth inside? I see what you did there Mr. Billy King.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Game blouses

5. Andrew Wiggins

This guy is getting more coverage on ESPN than Dwight's nasty dunks and alleys all season.

So that's all it takes for a scrub to make it on ESPN? Seriously, why should I care any more about this scrub because he prefers the pipe?

6. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

They played in Oakland one game too early.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

5 fouls = 5 asses grabbed.

8. rudan

rudan Member

I wish we could go back to the days the gays were kept in the closet, this daily gay bs is getting old :eek:

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

what do you call technicals?

10. Brutaldiego88

Brutaldiego88 Member

Scrub! He just plain blows ;)

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

ITT: Only give a crap if Lebron was gay

12. DocRock

DocRock Member

3rd string center = warm body picked up off the scrap heap. I'd rather have an old guy who can't play than a young guy who can't play AND is likely to commit dumb rookie mistakes.

Just not on the Nets, lol they're already ancient.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Being the first of anything is always going to be an issue. Anyway if you just look at this thread and all of the gay jokes, even from people who say it shouldn't be a big deal, shows that it is a big deal.

If this wasn't an issue I doubt there would be so many sexual comments.

14. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

What I don't get is how his ball handling could be so bad?

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's how I feel. I've gone from indifferent to damn near p-ssed off how being gay has been so politicized over the last few years. It seemed like we'd reached a point in society where the majority of us had a "live and let live" attitude towards gays and lesbians which is what I thought we were striving for.

Yet now if feels like we've taken two steps backwards. We're seeing live coverage of pre and post-game press conferences with a scrub NBA player(sorry, but that's what Jason Collins is) not to mention a seat next to the First Lady at the freaking State of the Union address?

No matter how badly the media wants to make this into a big deal, it's not. At least not for someone from my generation(I'm 36). Someone being openly gay just doesn't register with me. I'm happy for Collins that he feels like he's in a better place, but this has zero impact on me, the Brooklyn Nets, or the NBA at large. Also, he's a terrible player. At least if it was a perennial All-Star who came out of the closet, there'd be a something of a story there.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If it wasn't a big deal then why are most of the comments even here have jokes about his sexuality? Why is there even a post on this same page wishing gays would stay in the closet?

On the one hand you have people saying he is a scrub and that we shouldn't pay attention to his sexuality and then making sure to emphasize his sexuality by making a gay joke. This thread alone shows that the issue of sexual identity isn't one that people are yet completely comfortable with.

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I didn't make any jokes about his sexuality. And I certainly have no problem with openly gay athletes. I just don't think it deserves to be headline news. At least not if the athlete is someone 99.999% of the population had never heard of before they announced they're gay.

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Collins is the first active gay male professional athlete among the American "Big 4" sports. Of course, it's news. To think otherwise shows you don't pay attention to national headlines.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good for him, and a step in the right direction for acceptance.

Robbie Rogers is playing MLS and is also Gay, but I guess Soccer is not a major sport.

YET !

DD

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Sorry DD but this is a step in the wrong direction. Nothing good will come from this.