1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Ozark

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FishBulb913, Jul 23, 2017.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I like this show but also generally agree with all the criticisms here.

The one specific part I didn't see mentioned which I really don't like is the whole Snell storyline. I honestly don't care, and more than that, it's so completely over the top unbelievable ... even amist the unbelievability of the show premise generally. And both the actors - husband and wife Snell - are so over the top. And I really don't give a **** about his family being forced up, yada, yada, his random stories of olden times, etc.

I hate to say "too unbelievable" about shows that are clearly fiction in the first place. But we have:
    - Del
    - Langmores
    - Snells
    - Funeral home guy and his mother (pretty random)
    - Strip club guy
    - FBI guy

Quite a place, this Lake of the Ozarks, lol

donkeypunch likes this.
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Only thing I didn't really like about Ozark was how crazy and impulsive the Hillbilly heroin wife is. I mean, she was ready to kill whenever, whoever. No way their heroin empire is sustainable with such a mercurial leader. Furthermore, the hillbilly's criminality was almost magical. The stuff they got away with was ridiculous. The stuff they were doing needs way more manpower, maybe a shaman.. I saw only one henchman.

other than that. I thought it was well done

Rocket River likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ruth was overlooked by me. Fearless.

Rocket River likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The only gal that could stand up to Del. Now we are going to find out about the 'other guy'.

Jacob was always standing in front of her, the voice of reason so to speak. Nobody saw her coming. Nobody.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Aside from the over the top enemy storylines and casting, the one thing I hate the most about the show is the directors 'go-to' shot. Its the shot where the director tries to build "suspense" by focusing on the characters facial expressions when there clearly is something going in the background, then the shot pans out and you finally see what it is theyre looking at.
    Example would be when Bateman drives up to the construction site of the church and hes all shocked and theres clearly something wrong but we're left wondering why for 5-10 seconds. The shot then pans out and you see that the cross has been put up. The director does it a lot in the series and its annoying as hell to me.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

icymi -- the director in ep1, 2, 9 and 10 is Jason Bateman. He would have done all, but his schedule wouldn't permit.

[​IMG]

Rocket River likes this.
  7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I dont think that was Batemans doing. It was in the middle episodes, but if it were him, he needs to stick to strictly acting.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In fairness to the cross scene, I did notice the cross as they were driving up. There was an angle from behind the cross (tree height) showing the car drive up. You're looking through the cross. Then I'm pretty sure you see the cross again, as he gets out of the car.

But, I'm sure there were many more shots like that, which I just didn't catch. I'd put the closeup of the bugged lamp in there as trite, as well. They did it twice in the scene.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The ending kind of sucked the series from being a strong B to a C
    The Hillbillies just drug the whole season down into mediocrity
    I really need that wife to die very soon
    Evidently Cartels are incompetent boobs

Rocket River

primtim24 and daywalker02 like this.
  10. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

The Breaking Bad comparisons are accurate but this show tried to be all of BB in a single season. In the end, just (IMO) way too much happening in a single season. A few terrible castings choices, a lot of characters ran through and for sure some pretty dumb moments. It's hard to recommend cause overall I feel like I hated it but I finahed it. I think I'll chalk it up to a weird show that I could never watch again and be fine, cause one season felt like four.

11. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I personally liked it, yes it reminds me of BB and while it's miles away and not better, it's treading on closer water then most other shows can say since BB went off air.

The cast I'm not in love with.
    It feels like it's a given that nothing will happen to the family.
    Honestly the finale was badass, and one of my favorite characters if not fav was Del, sad to see him go.

Story is far fetched, Marty is completely not afraid of the Feds one bit and manly focuses on the cartel. The hillbillys are too comfortable too, along with being too unpredictable.

They killed it for this season and maybe did too much but the majority of the cast is there and still a lot left to be done.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wants to see the shooting Hillbillies again.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun see the Breaking Bad comparison, the two grown ups were in on whole the money laundering biz from the start as far as I could tell. We could tell from the flashbacks.

And Bateman was pawn rather than becoming his own boss throughout the narrative.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  14. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

Here's the daughter from Masterchef Jrs.

15. TheresTheDagger

I just finished Season 1 last night. Great show overall! I will admit they go over the top a lot on this show, but I'm intrigued to see where it heads next year.

BTW, anyone that lives in Atlanta and wants to be an extra in Season 2, here's your chance!

http://www.projectcasting.com/tag/ozark

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I've only watched the first episode. Is the entire show shot with this blue lens? It makes it really hard for me to watch.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Hell yes, looking forward to season 2.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Damn, was hoping this bump was over a surprise release.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

Finished season 2! Not as suspenseful as 1 but still enjoyable. I think that's because of Jason Bateman though. Also, for it being a show with a back story of the cartel, we don't see a compadre until episode 8. I guess I just miss Esai and the tension he brought in every scene. Instead, we get Tilda Swinton. <--not really Tilda.