1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Making a Murderer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by J Sizzle, Dec 15, 2015.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

ADD much? This is one of the best doc series I've seen, and I watch A LOT of documentaries.

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Agreed...I'm loving how much it's been drawn out. Very gripping storytelling.

Finished episode 4 and I can hardly believe this is real.

Definitely see why people compare it to Dear Zachary.

3. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This series makes me want to drive to Manitowoc county and kick some ass.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I said that out loud while watching it last night, essentially.

What kind of police force takes advantage of the mentally handicap (which I believe the while family is, or is at least borderline) like that? Serve and protect, right? Just disgusted as I'm watching this. I still have four episodes left though.

5. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

A lot of physical evidence was not shown in this documentary. I'm sorry but you all have been duped by the director into believing that monster is innocent of a horrendous crime. Extremely biased.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Go on....

7. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Also Stevens not only destroyed the life of Teresa and her family, he also ruined the life 16 year old who was from what I can tell easily manipulated into doing something he wouldn't do on his own. The kid was slow and dull which I assume its from lots inbreeding in the family.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I love that you start with an assumption that is fairly reasonable: given the inability or unwillingness of producers to fully track or document the perspectives and actions of the State; then, rather than document it, you proffer one of the most classist and irrational myths imaginable.

9. crose

Supporting Member

Kratz, is that you?

Please explain how the half-wit, Steven Avery, got rid of all evidence of blood splatter in the garage, but somehow forgets to not burn a body right outside of his house?

10. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Man, I was excited that to were going to have some new info I didn't know yet. .......then turns out that you had nothing.

11. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I love how he goes from presuming to know about missing physical evidence, to assuming a kid is slow because of inbreeding.

Insider expert here, folks.

12. bigben69

bigben69 Member

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

I haven't watched this documentary yet, but wiki'd it and said that Avery is serving life with no chance of parole. Very sad if he was innocent.

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I think a jury of 12 who heard the entire 18 days or whatever of testimony is more likely to have a good idea of guilt or innocence than a viewer who saw a few selected hours of the trial. Interesting series, though.

15. crose

Supporting Member

Did you watch the entire series yet? There was a juror that was excused right as deliberations began(family emergency), and he had some interesting observations about the jury panel.

The opening count was like 7 innocent, 3 guilty and 2 undecided.

16. SamCassell

I did watch all of it. That juror seems like he would have voted not guilty. But 12 others disagreed, including his replacement. And 12 voted guilty on Brendan too.

The jury split at opening vote was interesting, for sure. Assuming that was true. I've never had a jury tell me what the early split was, ever. Seems like if true that was a massive swing during deliberations, for whatever reason.

17. crose

Supporting Member

I don't like to let documentaries sway my opinion, but you have to admit there were extremely shady details that led to Avery's conviction.

I can't fathom how they could actually believe that the murder took place in the garage via gunshot to the head, yet zero evidence was found aside from the flattened bullet discovered months later by the officer in question, Sgt. Lenk. Are we to believe that Avery was able to rid the garage of all DNA evidence? There is no way even the most seasoned homocide detective would have been able to pull that off, yet we have to buy that 70 IQ Avery did so?

And then there is the complete and utter shadiness of Lenk and Colburn. How those guys were not grilled much harder for their actions is beyond me.

18. crose

Supporting Member

Things from a documentary viewing perspective that I would like some clarification on:

-What was Avery's motive?
    -Was the lack of DNA evidence in the supposed murder spot(garage) ever explained?
    -If Brendan Dassey's confession was never used in the Avery trial, why was his account of events used as the basis for the Avery conviction?
    -What was Colburn's reasoning for retroactively filing a report regarding the call he received essentially admitting that Avery was the wrong guy in sex assault case? He doesn't write a report for 8 years, then does so the day after Avery is released? Okay.
    -Why was there not more of a response as to how the Manitowoc county Sheriffs dept. we're even allowed on site ever?
    -Has Len Kachinaky had his weasel ass kicked yet?
    -Has Ken Kratz committed any more lewd acts further cementing his status as biggest douche creep ever?

19. SamCassell

Lenk and Colburn seemed very shady to me, too. They were definitely the best part of the defense's case. I think you are wrong about the bullet, though. I think Lenk discovered the key, but not that piece of evidence. As for the rest of the garage evidence, I have no idea how hard it is to conceal evidence. The defense investigator said it would be very difficult, but he's a biased source. A quick Google search told me that Brendan supposedly had bleach on his jeans and told his mom he got that helping Steve clean his garage.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Don't see how anyone could watch that Brandon Dassey "confession" and think he had a clue about what happened. He was telling the investigators what they wanted to hear because he's a dumb timid kid who always does what authority figures tell him to do. It was disgusting to watch.

That there was zero physical evidence in the trailer or the garage tells you all you need to know. The idea that Avery would do a perfect cleanup job but then burn a body next to his house is stupid.

Someone killed her, took the car to the Avery lot; burned her, and buried the bones in Avery's fire pit. Someone from the town who knew Avery would be suspected. And the cops hated Avery, thought he did it, and were being sued by him, planted some evidence to help get a conviction.

It seems like the fact that the broken seal of the evidence containing Avery's blood (and the needle mark) was never explained. Just some newly invented test created just for this trial, with zero track record, that supposedly proved the blood did not come from the vial.

Not to mention the active involvement of Manitawoc law enforcement in the case, when they had no reason to be and had a major conflict of interest (the officers being sued were conducting the search! ayfkm!?). That alone should have been enough for reasonable doubt.